Clones Interest in Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk Ukranian 16 Year Old

CyMyGuy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 7, 2012
St. Paul, MN
He speaks english very well. Both his parents are educators, which is one of the reasons he is graduating early. He was required to learn a foreign language and speaks english very conversationally. There was an interview with him at the camp.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Not sure how space would be made, but adding the kid plus Cooke and Anderson this spring, then Woodward and Williams for the class of 2015 would give us an insane amount of shooters in 15-16.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Looks amazing. Being said, I'll be surprised if Hoiberg (let alone anyone in the US) lands him.

reaCY

Mar 21, 2014
It is Frans article where he names a number of quality Interntional players and he wrote extensively about 5 that will make an impact. The other 4 are already committed to schools. That implies to me he'll be playing next year to me but not exctly sure.

"Mykhailiuk will be a high school graduate and enroll in college at the age of 17 -- if he’s not pressured to sign a pro contract. There’s a great chance we will see him in college next season."

The main question is if he wants to play in Europe and get paid/pro coaching for a year or go to college and raise his profile then go to the NBA with higher stock? That would be a tough decision for anyone let alone a 16 year old.

Fred is pro coaching material, where have you been? Ha

cyguytillidie

Feb 9, 2010
Des Moines
Sounds like he would be a 2014 guy.

Monte
Custer
Naz
SDW
Thomas
BDJ
Mykhailiuk
Nader
Hogue
Niang
McKay
Edozie

:jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy::jiggy:

[h=2][/h]

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Looks amazing. Being said, I'll be surprised if Hoiberg (let alone anyone in the US) lands him.

Which is why I haven't really gotten excited about this possibility yet. If I was from Europe and had the chance to make a lot of money playing in Europe, I wouldn't come to the US to play for just a scholarship.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
This might of already been answered but how would this work since he played professionally in Ukraine? Isn't that the reason why Lucca got suspended for a year even though he didn't take any money?

I'm definitely intrigued by him though, even if I think its a long shot.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
This might of already been answered but how would this work since he played professionally in Ukraine? Isn't that the reason why Lucca got suspended for a year even though he didn't take any money?

I'm definitely intrigued by him though, even if I think its a long shot.
I believe they changed the rule on that.

TranCytive

Apr 15, 2014
The kid looks to be legit, but as others are stating, it might be hard to get him here because its so far away. I think it's a long shot too, but I'm going to be positive.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Cooke is probably a 50/50 situation. Anderson maybe 40% odds. This kid is realistically in the 2% range.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I assume he'll stay in Europe and go pro. However, not sure how many young guys like that are in the pro leagues over there, but the fact he'll be only 17 might be a reason him and his family would be more comfortable having be in college with other kids close to his own age for a year or two rather than a bunch of 22-35 year old dudes.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I assume he'll stay in Europe and go pro. However, not sure how many young guys like that are in the pro leagues over there, but the fact he'll be only 17 might be a reason him and his family would be more comfortable having be in college with other kids close to his own age for a year or two rather than a bunch of 22-35 year old dudes.

Ya, his young age is the only thing that makes me think there is a remote chance he goes the US college route. Based on the fact that his parents are educators, they may see that a US college environment has advantages over being on the road with grown men traveling all over the EU at his age.