Clogged Toilet

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I have found that plungers only work on certain toilet drains. I haven't got it narrowed down to a science yet, but I do know that of the 3 toilets in my house, I can only unplug one with a plunger reliably. Perhaps other things go into it. How much water is in the bowl? What is the pressure generated by the flush, does it differ from toilet to toilet? Does it matter the material the plunger is comprised of? So many variables to ponder.

As an aside, my wife recently chewed me a second b hole that I keep our plunger in the bathroom closet, wrapped in a platic grocery back. She complains that we can't have that in there where we keep our washcloths, towels etc. My thought was to put it in there so that it isn't just out in the open where people can see it. Where does everyone else store their plungers?
Well if your plunger looks like this, it's for sinks not toilets
shopping

This is for toilets
shopping

Also ours is right inside the front door so everyone is aware of their responsibility

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
Wrapped in a plastic bag right next to/behind the toilet.

READY FOR ACTION AT ALL TIMES
Yes, if a guest has an issue it's best for all if they have the opportunity to address the situation without potential embarrassment. It should be somewhere a reasonable person would look in an emergency.

Kind of like the can of Glade or book of matches.

• Winner
Reactions: BACyclone

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I fear there's zero way you can report this without still being guilty by association.

It'll be like The Matrix scene in the office, but backwards. Leave out of bathroom quick, duck down, don't any one see you, and try sneak to get back your cubicle.

EDIT: Also, get practice this by playing the Buckle Challenge (from the 90s).

Attachments

• matrix-office-space-embed.jpg
    matrix-office-space-embed.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
My parents keep theirs in the basement and also have a terribly weak flush. My wife has clogged the toilet numerous times. She then makes me go get the plunger so I have to walk of shame it all the way through the kitchen, dining room and living room to get to the 2nd floor bathroom.

• Sad

ElephantPie

Aug 17, 2011
So I walk in at work to one of the bathrooms this morning (a one-holer, no men's or women's here) and there's... a disaster. The thing is clearly completely clogged and someone had recently annihilated it. After catching my breath from the smell, I rather quickly got out of there as to not get be guilty by association. What's the protocol in situations like this? Do I try and call someone to clean up the crime scene or just pretend I never saw what happened and let it linger?
I just don't understand the mentality of someone who creates this situation and then leaves without saying anything. At a workplace, you are an adult. You have the ability to remedy this situation on your own or with the guidance of someone else. How do you leave your poop there for another adult (who probably isn't paid enough for that) to have to deal with poop that isn't theirs. It is YOUR POOP! YOU clean it up!

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
OK side note this made me think of a repressed memory.

When my wife and I were dating we'd visit her grandmother's house from time to time. She lived out on an acreage, although small ones so houses are still reasonably close together.

She had this weakest-flush-possible toilet (the kind nightmares are made from) off the kitchen in a combo laundry room / half bath. I had a couple close calls with this thing, until one day with what I considered an average, if not below-average visit, my deposit was NOT accepted. I scoured through this whole tiny room and could find zero plunging assistance.

I finally break down and ask my girlfriend, who then asks her grandmother for the location of a plunger.

SHE DOES NOT HAVE ONE.

So she calls the NEIGHBOR. I have to walk to the neighbor's house to BORROW A PLUNGER to convince this toilet to accept my deposit. Then...return the plunger??!!

I'm fairly certain I never used that toilet again. I may have also bought her a plunger, I don't recall.
Haha I am rolling! I think if faced with the shame of asking for a plunger from the neighbor, I might've just gone and bought one for the ol' lady.

• Haha

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I just don't understand the mentality of someone who creates this situation and then leaves without saying anything. At a workplace, you are an adult. You have the ability to remedy this situation on your own or with the guidance of someone else. How do you leave your poop there for another adult (who probably isn't paid enough for that) to have to deal with poop that isn't theirs. It is YOUR POOP! YOU clean it up!

In middle schools, it's intentional, and fills us custodians with pride.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I have found that plungers only work on certain toilet drains. I haven't got it narrowed down to a science yet, but I do know that of the 3 toilets in my house, I can only unplug one with a plunger reliably. Perhaps other things go into it. How much water is in the bowl? What is the pressure generated by the flush, does it differ from toilet to toilet? Does it matter the material the plunger is comprised of? So many variables to ponder.

As an aside, my wife recently chewed me a second b hole that I keep our plunger in the bathroom closet, wrapped in a platic grocery back. She complains that we can't have that in there where we keep our washcloths, towels etc. My thought was to put it in there so that it isn't just out in the open where people can see it. Where does everyone else store their plungers?

Behind the toilet. Next to the toilet brush(which has its own little holding device.)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
We once had a toilet that was plugging a lot. I went and got a toilet snake and used that. About the third time working it back and forth it was like hooked on something tough. Yanked hard enough and on the end of the coil was a skeletor action figure. Friends kid was playing with it and apparently decided to flush it down the toilet a few days before.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Currently sitting on a Briggs toilet with a plunger to my left. I swear these toilets are made with little kids in mind. Seems to not have that big opening for when those big bowel moments hit. 75% of the time the plunger is needed.

Pretty sure this one is going to need the plunger. Now to play flushin’ roulette…. Water spinning along with the TP…..and we have a winner!!! This time the flush wins!!

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
I fear there's zero way you can report this without still being guilty by association.

"SOMEONE destroyed the bathroom...."

Agreed. JM4CY finds himself squarely in the territory of "Whomever Smealt it, Dealt It." Reporting it up the chain of command will draw suspicion. Hmm.

Tough spot. I would ask Tootenbacher for his/her/he/she/they/its advice. Only an expert can help you now.

Help Support Us

Become a patron