Chicks in a grinder

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
They say that these males arent the eating kind? Why the hell not? Wouldnt it be smarter to see these chickens to someone who will eat them instead of grinding them up? Im sorry but there are better uses for these birds than sending them through the blender alive.

Incyte

Apr 12, 2007
They say that these males arent the eating kind? Why the hell not? Wouldnt it be smarter to see these chickens to someone who will eat them instead of grinding them up? Im sorry but there are better uses for these birds than sending them through the blender alive.

One would have to believe that if there were a more valuable commercial use for these birds it would be used.

I've never had rooster meat but if it's like bull meat, it's gross.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
One would have to believe that if there were a more valuable commercial use for these birds it would be used.

I've never had rooster meat but if it's like bull meat, it's gross.

Hey just because you wont eat it, doesnt mean others wont. Alot of cultures will use anything. We have become a picky society with what we eat. One may also overestimated the research that went into other solutions. Some folks see a quick cheap solution and take it or might not even know whats out there. I dont know either so Im just throwing it out there.

Have you seen the stuff that gets thrown into Vietnamese noodle bowls? Its tasty but it isnt top grade meat.

Last edited:
Reactions: jbhtexas

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

As the video said... not profitably. If whatever it costs to raise the males is more than what their meat could garner on the free market (which would mean less\lb if its not as good and less meat on the males in general), itd be a losing money proposition.

If someone wanted to try and make money off of these, im sure the hatchery would be happy to let someone take them off their hands, seeing as theyre just trashing them anyways.

dustinal

Nov 14, 2006
As the video said... not profitably. If whatever it costs to raise the males is more than what their meat could garner on the free market (which would mean less\lb if its not as good and less meat on the males in general), itd be a losing money proposition.

If someone wanted to try and make money off of these, im sure the hatchery would be happy to let someone take them off their hands, seeing as theyre just trashing them anyways.

Why not donate them to a third-world country or something? Use it as a tax write-off.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
Why not donate them to a third-world country or something? Use it as a tax write-off.

I thought about this. Transport would be extremely expensive I would think. Frequent trips and fuel cost. If there was an affordable way, this would be a good option.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I thought about this. Transport would be extremely expensive I would think. Frequent trips and fuel cost. If there was an affordable way, this would be a good option.
And if peta really cared about doing anything more than shock videos, they could funnel some money into this.

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
And if peta really cared about doing anything more than shock videos, they could funnel some money into this.

Lets just remove PETA from the equation. Their idea is good, their execution not so much. As far as Im concerned they dont exist.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
Hey just because you wont eat it, doesnt mean others wont. Alot of cultures will use anything. We have become a picky society with what we eat. One may also overestimated the research that went into other solutions. Some folks see a quick cheap solution and take it or might not even know whats out there. I dont know either so Im just throwing it out there.

Have you seen the stuff that gets thrown into Vietnamese noodle bowls? Its tasty but it isnt top grade meat.

I'm with you on this bostin. i think ultimately price is the difference. would cost folks in vietnam or anywhere else you suggest much less to raise their own, and the cost to the hatchery looks pretty low the way they handle things now.

I think it looks bad too (the grinder) but ultimately these chickens are going to die - I guess it is just a matter of when.

Spam

May 21, 2008
I think it looks bad too (the grinder) but ultimately these chickens are going to die - I guess it is just a matter of when.

I think there are few alternatives to get rid of the chickens, but not for this reason!!!
Ultimately, we are going to die. So should we all just be put through the grinder, cypride?!!
;)

bos

Legend
Staff member
Apr 10, 2006
To me it comes off as brutal. I once saw a video of a pig being stood upon by a worker. The pig squealing in pain. That has haunted me ever since. There was no reason for him to do this, other than the fact he could. I know some of you dont care about food animals, but they are giving up their lives so you can continue to live yours. I choose to respect them as much as I can.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
Very disappoint to think that my avatar has probably been ground up to mush...:no:

Yup, you've got the worst of both worlds there. Not only do you have a chick that's going to be mush, but you have it's aborted fetus sibling next to it.

You Disgust me!:jimlad:

I'd really like to say, that I wish they wouldn't do this, but at the same time, I can't help but think, for a chicken, being instantly ground into feed or fertilizer, is probably 10x better than living the existence he would if he'd have been kept alive to be turned into food later. Anyone who has ever spent any time around a lot of chickens knows it's far more unpleasant than an instant death.

Not that that necessarily makes it OK, but it truly is one of those things we have to come to grips with if we plan to feed the masses as we do now. It's the only way to keep chicken prices down while still keeping store shelves full. I'd love to be able to grow all my own food, but it's just not possible. So for this, I am willing to call this relatively humane and still eat chicken.

Reactions: stateofmind

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

Phở !! I love it.

+1 on everything above.

Together2813

Mar 29, 2006
Omaha, NE
To me it comes off as brutal. I once saw a video of a pig being stood upon by a worker. The pig squealing in pain. That has haunted me ever since. There was no reason for him to do this, other than the fact he could. I know some of you dont care about food animals, but they are giving up their lives so you can continue to live yours. I choose to respect them as much as I can.

I saw a video of a pig that they wrap a chain around their necks and raise them in the air with a forklift and hang them. It was a very brutal sad video. They say how pigs have some of the same emotions that humans have too.

This was all an undercover video as well as the chicken one. The thing that really disturbed me was how they would grab the baby pigs by their hind legs and smash their heads on the cement floors a few times to kill them. Now I understand there are many practical ways to do the slaughtering which I'm fine with, but this farm/small business absolutely discusted me.

Help Support Us

Become a patron