Check out this AMAZING Cyclone "tornado" logo concept

Cyclonin

Feb 18, 2012
Dallas, TX
I really like it. Simple and still unique. I am fine with I-State, but it is somewhat generic.

Josh, I have order a few shirts from you in the past (sidenote: One is my gameday shirt and I get comments about it all the time!), but is this something you could make as a shirt?

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
My definition of AMAZING is somewhat different.

I just read about the Cleveland Browns new logo "update." What a joke.

I'm fine with throwback apparel and what not with the walking Cy, Tornado, etc. but please stick with the I-State logo for branding reasons. If I tuned into ESPN to catch ISU highlights and saw that logo, I'd smh. Plus anyone outside of the state of Iowa would have no clue wtf it is.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I love the tornado logo. I know a guy with a old school tornado jacket that he found at goodwill, insanely jealous.

I found one at Salvation Army, but I'm a little too hefty for it.

Our daughter (a self-professed Hawkeye...tavern hawk, really) found one in a Goodwill & bought it for me. It's old, and kind of ragged, but I wouldn't trade it for the new logo, ever. I even forgive her for marrying a tavern hawk! ;)

Cyclonetrombone

Aug 25, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Just make either of these our secondary mascot in addition. Ha id Nebraska can have stupid bubble boy then we should have a turd tornado, just to class things up a bit :rolleyes:

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• AN235-2.jpg
    AN235-2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 1,043
  • Cyclone1.jpg
    Cyclone1.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 980

Fishhead

Oct 6, 2010
Prone2Clone has an Avatar that shows exactly what you were aiming for

WalkingCY

Sep 26, 2008
Kansas City
Love the Tornado logo. I like what you have done with them. Also, I want to say that anyone that wants the I-State logo to be replaced as the "main" logo is crazy. It is traditional looking and should be the main mark of ISU forever. It is very recognizable to outsiders. Living here in KC, many of our conference brethren have commented on how the I-State logo is sharp. Now, with that being said, the secondary logos that we have now should and CAN be updated IMO.

I would be up for them dropping this secondary logo (because it sucks):
angrybird2.png

I would be all for the AD to make a change in this above logo for one of your new Tornado logos you have represented. Also, the old school WalkingCy is clearly my "fav" logo. But it is a secondary logo for the university. Yes, Cy is our mascot and that is why he is always going to be around.

Why can't the marketing department of the university just "doctor up" the Walking Cy logo to have the new I-State logo on his chest instead of having the Bucky-Cy logo? Heck, any of the "Leaning Cy" logos can easily be doctored up with the new I-State logo on his chest too.

Another thing that would be cool, use your tornado logo as pride stickers for the football helmets. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA

I'm fine with throwback apparel and what not with the walking Cy, Tornado, etc. but please stick with the I-State logo for branding reasons. If I tuned into ESPN to catch ISU highlights and saw that logo, I'd smh. Plus anyone outside of the state of Iowa would have no clue wtf it is.

Fine, then put the tornado on the helmets, it's the best logo ever and actually portrays our name and where it originally came from. Keep "I-State" for those that somehow love it and how it looks when ESPN uses it for graphics purposes.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
I would love to have a Cyclone for a secondary logo. Would love to see some alternate unis with the tornado on the helmet too.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Josh, I have order a few shirts from you in the past (sidenote: One is my gameday shirt and I get comments about it all the time!), but is this something you could make as a shirt?

Probably not. There's nothing stopping anyone from making their own shirt though. It's easy enough to trace onto a shirt, or to cut out some fabric and stitch onto a sweatshirt. All strictly DIY though.

As a side note, we had the same thought process that amestoplease did when we did our ISU project in 2013, but instead of updating the 1980s logo, we took it in the opposite direction and "devolved" the logo to a 1920s representative logo that could've existed during Jack Trice's era. Would love to see someone create a 1950s faux-throwback of a Cyclone logo too. I think that would be fun to recreate a mock logo history through the decades.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Cyclone-logo-timeline.jpg
    Cyclone-logo-timeline.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 806
Reactions: Cy37 and Judoka

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Always been my favorite logo, my parents looked everywhere to find me a sweatshirt with the original on it for Christmas and it instantly became my favorite article of clothing.

Mind telling us where you got it? I've been looking for another sweater with the logo. My hoodie with that logo got ruined by a pen in the washer.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
I don't normally do this, but fellow CF member amestoplease unveiled a killer update to the beloved/reviled '80s Cyclone logo in the morass of the other uniform thread. Since I was afraid it would get overlooked, I decided to highlight it here. The I-STATE logo is a decent standard athletic logo, but for a school with such a killer nickname, the identity package sure is a snoozer.

Fear not, amestoplease has come to the rescue.

I want to emphasize, this concept is entirely theirs. By refreshing it, it removes the stigmata of the '80s, while still remaining true to the overall evolution and heritage of Cyclone history. Since amestoplease does this kind of stuff for a living, the Athletic Department should run to hire them to slot this right into the current identity package. Along with the sedate I-STATE logo and CY logo, this Cyclone logo finally finishes off the current look.

attachment.php

Look closely--nearly every line was changed to a more curvy, swirling look, rather than the semi-blocky '80s look. Also note how they included a 2/4 color version of the Cyclone, which can easily be converted into a solid color version. I took the liberty of pairing up each version with the similar I-STATE logo below. Also note how the colors they chose are slightly less "clownish" than the current colors. As a matter of fact, that gold is closer to Jack Trice's jersey color, which can't be a bad thing either:

attachment.php

This is an absolutely fantastic logo update/addition and an instant classic.

Now, if only Cy could be fixed as well ...

I've said it before that regardless of ones opinion aesthetically this should be the logo. This is our Powercat, Tigerhawk, Spartan Head, etc. This is too versatile a logo to be ignored and it would become easily recognizable using any color scheme. I know many UI fans old enough to remember the switch to the Tigerhawk. They thought then as we do now that it looks like a ****ing chicken head. But they sell the **** outta that thing now, don't they. A Wisconsin W sized one of these would look great on the football helmets and that's the only thing we'd need to change. I'd love to have a closet full of gear with the tornado on it.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I've said it before that regardless of ones opinion aesthetically this should be the logo. This is our Powercat, Tigerhawk, Spartan Head, etc. This is too versatile a logo to be ignored and it would become easily recognizable using any color scheme. I know many UI fans old enough to remember the switch to the Tigerhawk. They thought then as we do now that it looks like a ****ing chicken head. But they sell the **** outta that thing now, don't they. A Wisconsin W sized one of these would look great on the football helmets and that's the only thing we'd need to change. I'd love to have a closet full of gear with the tornado on it.

This is spot on and completely right. We have no Powercat/Spartan Head, instead we have a messy font "logo" that is not appealing for use on helmets. I, like others, would kill to have a shirt with the tornado logo on it.

andybernard

Oct 22, 2009

I'm sorry but I hate this argument and it seems to get brought up repeatedly. Anyone who watches highlights on ESPN has at least some sort of sports knowledge, and they would know exactly what it stands for after seeing it once. Much smaller schools use secondary logos on alternate uniforms and everyone knows EXACTLY who they are when they show highlights...mostly because is says so on the screen in 3 different places as the highlights are being shown.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I'm sorry but I hate this argument and it seems to get brought up repeatedly. Anyone who watches highlights on ESPN has at least some sort of sports knowledge, and they would know exactly what it stands for after seeing it once. Much smaller schools use secondary logos on alternate uniforms and everyone knows EXACTLY who they are when they show highlights...mostly because is says so on the screen in 3 different places as the highlights are being shown.

Exactly, this isn't the 80's any longer. People can comprehend which logos are tied to what school after seeing them a couple times.

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny
Exactly, this isn't the 80's any longer. People can comprehend which logos are tied to what school after seeing them a couple times.

Look at the freaking score. If you can't figure it out from there then you aren't really a big football fan.