Charles City looking to form new conference after racial issues

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I'd disagree myself. Osage (and Mitchell County) are much more north central Iowa than northeast Iowa, IMO. It's a part of the Mason City economic orbit (places to the east are not), it's flat, and it just seemed like growing up around there that everyone went to the west for sports, commerce, etc. Once you get past Highway 63 it's a completely different world geographically and culturally. I'd argue that Charles City belongs to that Mason City orbit as well, as opposed to going east.

Growing up in Mitchell County and now living in Cresco for as an adult, I definitely view Osage and Charles City as being a different part of Iowa than Cresco/Decorah/Waukon.
I get that too.

Just for me, Osage doesnt really belong in a conference with NK, Riceville, St Ansgar etc. And for me the radius of similar size schools always included Cresco, Osage, CC, New Hampton etc. And those not being in the same conference always seemed strange. I am not sure of all the schools that were in the original North Iowa conference, but Osage had to be an outlier to the East than the rest. I realize to the others I mentioned they are an outlier to the West, but not as much when you put CC etc in there.

To me Osage is closer to CC, NH, and Cresco, than anyone that I can think of the was in the old North Iowa conf.

But I do get what you are saying about going East from Cresco, that area does feel like a different region all together. I also can see what you mean about the Mason City region and Osage being part of that, but I also feel that at least CC is too if you look at it that way. I think Osages biggest issue is they are very much on the border between 2 regions so they dont truly fit in either but also kind of do.

Reactions: Al_4_State

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'd disagree myself. Osage (and Mitchell County) are much more north central Iowa than northeast Iowa, IMO. It's a part of the Mason City economic orbit (places to the east are not), it's flat, and it just seemed like growing up around there that everyone went to the west for sports, commerce, etc. Once you get past Highway 63 it's a completely different world geographically and culturally. I'd argue that Charles City belongs to that Mason City orbit as well, as opposed to going east.

Growing up in Mitchell County and now living in Cresco for as an adult, I definitely view Osage and Charles City as being a different part of Iowa than Cresco/Decorah/Waukon.
I think Osage is a tweener. They honestly don't feel to have a similar north Iowa vibe as the schools on the west side of I35. Not sure what it is, but they always seemed a different breed. Using eco centers, that can put Lake Mills in a tweener mode also. Most of us, always went to Albert Lea for everything. Mason City was sometimes, but generally we wandered north for things and activities. Vibe wise, it felt similar to the other towns though. That must just be that I would associate with many of the other towns' kids but never interacted with the Osage kids.

Reactions: Al_4_State

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

My wife is from Mason City and I'd agree with your sentiments. Osage and Charles City seem like North Central Iowa to me.

Then again, I grew up in SW Iowa, so even Atlantic seemed like NE Iowa to me at one time! :jimlad:

Reactions: NWICY

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I grew up in the area (Charles City/rural Floyd County) and while Charles City is certainly not the town it once was, I drive through New Hampton these days and can barely recognize it anymore. As a kid, and perhaps it was just naivety, New Hampton had the 'feel' of being about the same size as Charles City. It had restaurants and places to shop etc. Seems like a lot of the town has dried up. It still has some things I enjoyed growing up. Took my then 2-year old last summer to Poor Richard's for the same pizza I grew up eating (still as good as I remembered) and to the wooden playground at Mikkelsen Park.
New Hampton has never been close to Charles City in population.

I think today it actually feels larger than it is because of the Highway 63 bypass and all the stuff that popped up at the Highway 18 exit to serve passers by. I think maybe it was just your perception as a kid? My wife's from there and I've spent a lot of time there since we started dating (2007) and it feels unchanged in that 15ish year window. I remember going through as a kid (late 90's) and thinking it was basically the same as today.
I get that too.

Just for me, Osage doesnt really belong in a conference with NK, Riceville, St Ansgar etc. And for me the radius of similar size schools always included Cresco, Osage, CC, New Hampton etc. And those not being in the same conference always seemed strange. I am not sure of all the schools that were in the original North Iowa conference, but Osage had to be an outlier to the East than the rest. I realize to the others I mentioned they are an outlier to the West, but not as much when you put CC etc in there.

To me Osage is closer to CC, NH, and Cresco, than anyone that I can think of the was in the old North Iowa conf.

But I do get what you are saying about going East from Cresco, that area does feel like a different region all together. I also can see what you mean about the Mason City region and Osage being part of that, but I also feel that at least CC is too if you look at it that way. I think Osages biggest issue is they are very much on the border between 2 regions so they dont truly fit in either but also kind of do.
I can tell you that living in Cresco, people there absolutely put Osage in with Mason City, Forest City, Lake Mills, etc. It's viewed as farther away than it actually is, and just kind of a different area. Osage was the farthest east school in the NIC, but Northwood was a member back then and Osage is closer to Northwood than it is Cresco.

I also think CC is more a part of that Mason City area than it is any place to the east. I've always found it an outlier in the NEIC even though it's close to New Hampton.

Reactions: 2speedy1

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I think Osage is a tweener. They honestly don't feel to have a similar north Iowa vibe as the schools on the west side of I35. Not sure what it is, but they always seemed a different breed. Using eco centers, that can put Lake Mills in a tweener mode also. Most of us, always went to Albert Lea for everything. Mason City was sometimes, but generally we wandered north for things and activities. Vibe wise, it felt similar to the other towns though. That must just be that I would associate with many of the other towns' kids but never interacted with the Osage kids.
Probably because they didn't border the other school districts. You had North Central and St Ansgar in between them and the Lake Mills/Northwood area.

Reactions: BCClone

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
As a fellow northerner, this is objectively a fact.
I third this. For sports at Charles City we played against Decorah, Cresco, and Waukon, but they were the longest most boring bus rides. Never even thought of venturing to those places for anything other than sports. Mason City/ Clear Lake and Waverly/ cedar Falls just are that much closer and more relatable. For whatever reason. Probably the avenue of the saints versus two lane hwy 18 and IA 9 honestly.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
New Hampton has never been close to Charles City in population.

I think today it actually feels larger than it is because of the Highway 63 bypass and all the stuff that popped up at the Highway 18 exit to serve passers by. I think maybe it was just your perception as a kid? My wife's from there and I've spent a lot of time there since we started dating (2007) and it feels unchanged in that 15ish year window. I remember going through as a kid (late 90's) and thinking it was basically the same as today.

I can tell you that living in Cresco, people there absolutely put Osage in with Mason City, Forest City, Lake Mills, etc. It's viewed as farther away than it actually is, and just kind of a different area. Osage was the farthest east school in the NIC, but Northwood was a member back then and Osage is closer to Northwood than it is Cresco.

I also think CC is more a part of that Mason City area than it is any place to the east. I've always found it an outlier in the NEIC even though it's close to New Hampton.
Oh the bolded I'm sure. I used to think Charles City was the **** too. Folks still live in rural Floyd County, and tons of friends in Charles City still too, every time I go back I wonder what in the hell was I thinking? Lol. Plenty of fond memories though.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Here is the problem with Osage being with the Corn Bowl or the former CB teams. They are just too big for most, which is why Riceville left, and I am guessing Why Rockford is now too.
Although it is not quite as big of a deal now that Riceville and soon Rockford have left that group, as the rest are at least a little closer.
TOI

1706166132171.png

And to be fair the West division is just as imbalanced as the East, actually moreso, more like what it would be with Riceville and Rockford.

1706166881822.png

This is where they belong, (they have been invited, but havent decided yet.) although they will be the smallest there.

NEIC

1706166291410.png

1706167161281.png

This is a much better balanced conference. There are a few tiny schools, but their isnt really a spot smaller than this at least not enough to make a conference when that small.

Iowa Star
1706166538919.png

Kind of strange, looking at all the moving, consolidating, and merging in High school conference realignment seems like they are going through the same thing College realignment is.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Here is the problem with Osage being with the Corn Bowl or the former CB teams. They are just too big for most, which is why Riceville left, and I am guessing Why Rockford is now too.
Although it is not quite as big of a deal now that Riceville and soon Rockford have left that group, as the rest are at least a little closer.
TOI

View attachment 122781

And to be fair the West division is just as imbalanced as the East, actually moreso, more like what it would be with Riceville and Rockford.

View attachment 122784

This is where they belong, (they have been invited, but havent decided yet.) although they will be the smallest there.

NEIC

View attachment 122782

View attachment 122785

This is a much better balanced conference. There are a few tiny schools, but their isnt really a spot smaller than this at least not enough to make a conference when that small.

Iowa Star
View attachment 122783

Kind of strange, looking at all the moving, consolidating, and merging in High school conference realignment seems like they are going through the same thing College realignment is.
I like how the NEIC kicked out its biggest member; with that in mind then look at their invites...........the difference between Decorah and them is not much different than WSR and the current members. Don't feel sorry for Osage, they actually wanted to be grouped with those schools, now they are b'ing about it.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Cresco formally joined the UIC starting in 2025-2026. The conference is extending invites to Waukon and New Hampton who will probably accept.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Cresco formally joined the UIC starting in 2025-2026. The conference is extending invites to Waukon and New Hampton who will probably accept.
I wonder how a school like West Central or Kee High with enrollment numbers about 70, like being in a conference with Crestwood at over 300?

Thats a stupid conference, the way it is made up.

I will be surprised if Cresco is joining that some of the smaller schools dont try to leave and go to Tri Rivers, or Iowa Star. Although I dont know how big you can really go with some of these conferences.

1707257277933.png

1707257326826.png

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
I'll die on the hill that New Hampton should be in the NICL. They fit better size wise and the travel is approximately the same.

Cresco, Waukon and New Hampton are all way bigger than anybody else in the UIC sans NFV.

Where the hell does Decorah end up?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
I wonder how a school like West Central or Kee High with enrollment numbers about 70, like being in a conference with Crestwood at over 300?

Thats a stupid conference, the way it is made up.

I will be surprised if Cresco is joining that some of the smaller schools dont try to leave and go to Tri Rivers, or Iowa Star. Although I dont know how big you can really go with some of these conferences.

View attachment 123438

View attachment 123439
I’d think those smaller schools are absolutely livid.

• Agree
Reactions: 2speedy1

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I’d think those smaller schools are absolutely livid.
This is part of the reason I think they should go the same route for all sports that they did Football. Just make those football districts all sports districts. The conferences are all too crazy messed up now, and with constant consolidation and other enrollment fluctuations it really would be the only way to make it fair to all.

I know there are also reasons against this as well. But the way these conferences have all been in flux the last few years it seems like the only answer.

With the District system redrawing every 2 years it at least keeps schools with similar enrollment together. The history for the most part is gone in most of these conferences, and you can always play some noncons with traditional opponents if needed. And it is not really just the small schools that are having these issues, the largest are too.

I really am surprised they havent done this already, and makes me wonder if the more turmoil in these conferences will finally trigger the IHSAA and the IGHSAU to make the change.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron