Can cheaper laptops work for Netflix?

cytheguy

May 23, 2006
Looking at getting a laptop for one of the kids for xmas. Not wanting to spend more than $175-200. She'd use it primarily for streaming vids from Netflix, YouTube, etc. I'm seeing some Chromebooks from HP, Acer, Samsung and a few others in that range, but don't want to buy one only to find out streaming is slow or doesn't work at all. We have Mediacom wifi for internet if that helps. And a few of the cheaper laptops I've seen have Intel® Celeron® processor N3060 and Intel® HD Graphics 400.

Bottom line, will a cheaper, bare bones laptop work for Netflix without stopping or not working at all?

kentkel

Apr 12, 2006
we just bought a chrome book for this reason and works great. use an HDMI cord to the TV to watch cyclone tv also.
This X100000, if you are looking for a cheap way of streaming netflix, youtube, anything online. I bought a chromebook for my wife 2 or 3 years ago ($200) and it is still running great. BTW, I bought her an ACER (the cheapest-priced one), but you can get other "name-brand" chromebooks for a similar price now.

• Agree
Reactions: beentherebefore

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Pretty sure only people work for Netflix right now.
giphy.gif

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
I have a Toshiba Chromebook and watch Netflix on it without issue. I think it was around $250 last fall, but there were definitely cheaper ones. I think it's a 13" model and the smaller ones were cheaper but probably not as great for watching due to screen size.