Camping in Ames? (For Tailgating Season)

dsreid

Dec 7, 2007
NW Iowa
Does anybody have any insight into this? I have a camper that I am looking to pull down to the area for tailgating season (I'm from NW Iowa).

I've looked around and it seems that Twin Anchors and Ledges seem to be the closest options.

I was hoping for something closer to Ames, considering we usually like to celebrate Cyclone victories in campus town.

Are there any campgrounds that I don't know about? I've heard of people that have put in electric/water on their driveway or acreage and rent the space.

There is always the option of just getting hotels every weekend, however camping is much more fun and economical!

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
You could try to get an RV permit for the Jack Trice lots that way you are there the day before and day of the game. I don't know if they're available anymore but its worth a shot!

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It doesn't seem that the RV lots get packed like the other lots, except maybe for the Iowa game.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
This may be a dumb question, but the RV lot doesn't have hookups do they? Parents may be interested in this. They usually stay at Saylorville and drive up for games.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Hickory Grove is a park east of Ames off Hwy 30, but I think it's technically a bit farther away than Twin Anchors. There is also Little Wall Lake, north of Ames on Hwy 69.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Last I knew Whispering Oaks was for sale, Not sure if true anymore.

Honestly, I would stay at Ledges State Park just a couple minutes South of Boone. REALLY nice park. It is only 15 miles from Jack Trice.

EIClone

Nov 21, 2011
Solon
As far as Campgrounds, I think the best place to stay is Ledges state park. It is only about 15-20minutes away. Its an easy drive and the sites are pretty spacious. We used to stay there until I anted up for an RV pass. State parks take reservations 3 months in advance. The shower houses/modern restrooms may be closed by the end of the season. You may find RV lot passes as the season goes on, but not many are for sale for the early games. They also tend to be more expensive than the State park. I have seen campers in the public lot b vet med before a game. I think it runs $40/game. No hookups. you bring your own.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
As far as Campgrounds, I think the best place to stay is Ledges state park. It is only about 15-20minutes away. Its an easy drive and the sites are pretty spacious. We used to stay there until I anted up for an RV pass. State parks take reservations 3 months in advance. The shower houses/modern restrooms may be closed by the end of the season. You may find RV lot passes as the season goes on, but not many are for sale for the early games. They also tend to be more expensive than the State park. I have seen campers in the public lot b vet med before a game. I think it runs $40/game. No hookups. you bring your own.

One other thing about the RV lots, tow vehicles for campers need to stay hooked up to the camper. No setting up and driving off. Not sure why but remember that rule from when I was looking at getting an RV pass. Vet med does not require a donation to get in. First come first served.

isukendall

Nov 30, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Pitch a tent at the Knoll. Bring in a couple of sixers of Natty and you're in. They usually let you park on their lawn and let you shower in their back yard. Best kept secret in Ames.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
One other thing about the RV lots, tow vehicles for campers need to stay hooked up to the camper. No setting up and driving off. Not sure why but remember that rule from when I was looking at getting an RV pass. Vet med does not require a donation to get in. First come first served.

They don't require a DONATION, but don't they charge like $20 to get in? The last time I parked there I wasn't expecting to have to pay, and I ended up not having any cash to get pop in the stadium. That was the last Nebraska game, maybe that was a one time thing for that game.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
They don't require a DONATION, but don't they charge like $20 to get in? The last time I parked there I wasn't expecting to have to pay, and I ended up not having any cash to get pop in the stadium. That was the last Nebraska game, maybe that was a one time thing for that game.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm...welcome to every GA lot?