Campbell's Unwillingness to Use the QB Run Game

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Let me be clear, I love what CMC has done with our pathetic program (historically speaking) but he's one stubborn sob. It's like we have our own ferentz without winning on the margins
It's only two games in so i'm not hitting the panic button. But look at the offensive stats in the Big 12, holy schnike:

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
Iowa was over pursuing the ball all game. I couldn't believe the last 2 play calls. Who was the tackle on the second to last play where the ball got knocked down? He didn't even lay a pad on Iowa's defensive lineman back peddling to stay in front of him. Then run a back straight up the middle? Was there an Iowa player close to Rocco faking a bootleg? In today's game you have to respect the QB to run from time to time. What's up with Hughes? Thought he might be used like Lanning was?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Iowa was over pursuing the ball all game. I couldn't believe the last 2 play calls. Who was the tackle on the second to last play where the ball got knocked down? He didn't even lay a pad on Iowa's defensive lineman back peddling to stay in front of him. Then run a back straight up the middle? Was there an Iowa player close to Rocco faking a bootleg? In today's game you have to respect the QB to run from time to time. What's up with Hughes? Thought he might be used like Lanning was?

No jet sweeps, no misdirection, not even a jailbreak. We may have run 8 different plays all game with the only variation being the direction. Looked like 7th grade football.

singsing

Nov 2, 2007
No jet sweeps, no misdirection, not even a jailbreak. We may have run 8 different plays all game with the only variation being the direction. Looked like 7th grade football.
My flag football coach had us running double reverses. Misdirection and jet sweeps were 6th grade flag football.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
Why didn't we go under center vs Iowa? Baffling after the success we had vs UNI.
Yeah it’s actually batsh*t insane. UNI gameplan was vanilla but we showed a really nice package going under center. Encouraging! Use that against Iowa!? Nope. Not at all.

Reactions: dirtyninety

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
We have a qb room of 3.

A redshirt freshman, a true freshman, and a late juco transfer who's other offers were from Morehead State and Duquesne.

I don't think he wants to risk any injuries

This argument might hold water if they didn't make Purdy almost fear leaving the pocket, even when it was his best option by far. Case in point - Big 12 championship game, where Purdy threw to a double-covered Kolar when Purdy had 25+ yards of open field in front of him.

You can't run a zone read offense effectively when you take half of what makes the zone read offense effective off the table. It handcuffs an already disadvantaged offense.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
This argument might hold water if they didn't make Purdy almost fear leaving the pocket, even when it was his best option by far. Case in point - Big 12 championship game, where Purdy threw to a double-covered Kolar when Purdy had 25+ yards of open field in front of him.

You can't run a zone read offense effectively when you take half of what makes the zone read offense effective off the table. It handcuffs an already disadvantaged offense.
I still want to see the analytics of qb injuries in the pocket versus running. Some smart coaching staffs (not ours) must have that data presented. Watching purdy now.....he is instinctually a great runner and stays out of pain with his feet.......being the pocket target? well we know that leads to really bad injuries especially at his level now.
Release our coaches SAT and ACT scores!!

Dowwmeow

Sep 24, 2022

I was literally reading this post a few minutes ago with the 49’ers- Steelers game on in the background. It was like 3rd down and 13, San Francisco had the ball. Purdy scrambles for like 18 yards (with a couple nice “juke”moves I might add). Ironic no?!

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
We better not play TJ Tampa on passing downs, he might get targeted and hurt... only 4 CB's listed on the depth chart

Seems like with our QB situation that position is about the 9th or 10th most important position of the starting 22.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Rocco scrambled out of the pocket once, it momentarily froze the linebacker and then he threw to an open receiver. Only saw that once. It’s a head-scratcher why the coaches don’t use that more often.
Because Campbell is hardcore conservative.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I think a lot of the comparisons I’ve seen on here comparing Campbell to Prohm actually hold some water? I always felt that Steve was a great recruiter and shot for the best he could get. Problem was, when that player came to campus, instead of adapting the offense to that player, he tried to fit the player into his system.

I see Campbell as very similar. Seems to me we have the players to run up tempo because when we do, we move the ball. Problem is Campbell likes the slow methodical approach, burn the play clock to the very end. He runs a system he doesn’t actually recruit for. We don’t have a line that will outmuscle anyone, we don’t have possession receivers and we don’t have power backs who will push the line.

Campbell seems to be a bit of a stubborn fool to me. He is convinced slow, ball control is the way to go, but the way we do it leads to a lot of 3 and outs. What’s better, a slow, methodical 3 play drive that burns 2 minutes before we punt or an up tempo drive that uses 10 plays to burn 5 minutes and might lead to a score.

Yeah, I get it, the slow worked on our last scoring drive, but we played right into the Hawks plan. Burn a ton of time, score and still be losing. That last TD may not have been “given” to us, but the drive that got us there was.

Sorry for the long post, but at the end of the day, if you try to beat Iowa by Playing Iowa’s game, no one is going to out Ferentz Ferentz.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
I think a lot of the comparisons I’ve seen on here comparing Campbell to Prohm actually hold some water? I always felt that Steve was a great recruiter and shot for the best he could get. Problem was, when that player came to campus, instead of adapting the offense to that player, he tried to fit the player into his system.

I see Campbell as very similar. Seems to me we have the players to run up tempo because when we do, we move the ball. Problem is Campbell likes the slow methodical approach, burn the play clock to the very end. He runs a system he doesn’t actually recruit for. We don’t have a line that will outmuscle anyone, we don’t have possession receivers and we don’t have power backs who will push the line.

Campbell seems to be a bit of a stubborn fool to me. He is convinced slow, ball control is the way to go, but the way we do it leads to a lot of 3 and outs. What’s better, a slow, methodical 3 play drive that burns 2 minutes before we punt or an up tempo drive that uses 10 plays to burn 5 minutes and might lead to a score.

Yeah, I get it, the slow worked on our last scoring drive, but we played right into the Hawks plan. Burn a ton of time, score and still be losing. That last TD may not have been “given” to us, but the drive that got us there was.

Sorry for the long post, but at the end of the day, if you try to beat Iowa by Playing Iowa’s game, no one is going to out Ferentz Ferentz.
I kind of feel like Minnesota does. Probably not this year.

Reactions: Clonefan94

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Hard to say on the read option. On the last play it looked like it was there, but everything happens so fast. It would have been nice to try something like that on 3rd down. Not really sure how good a runner Rocco really is. Again, we are dealing with an OL that has been bad for a lot of years and missing it's best player, and a lightly recruited redshirt Freshman QB. Honestly, I saw a few things to be encouraged about in that game. Punt receiving and pass catching were not great, and probably cost ISU the game.

Would have loved for ISU to send the Freshman TE down the middle on that 4th down play. Iowa was pretty sold out up front.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
The worst that can happen is JJ being forced to play more than 4 games, burning his redshirt and being classified as a sophomore next year, same as Rocco.
It doesn't matter, they both aren't staying. Neither one is going to sit behind the other for 3 years.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

Help Support Us

Become a patron