Campbell's Unwillingness to Use the QB Run Game

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Outside of the Joel Lanning packages, how many QB rushing attempts has his offense called since he's been in Ames?

We have the same talent as K-State, yet our coach refuses to use a weapon that they consistently use..

We need to be recruiting dual threat QB's not pocket passers, until our offensive line gets a pulse. Throwing 3 yard out routes and screen passes doesn't require Peyton Manning at QB

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
It also helps that Kansas State recently has had two viable options at QB if one took a lick and didn't get up from it. I'm not sure we have a single option at QB right now that the coaches would willingly trot out there. Howard and Thompson were on the 7 year graduation plan and when Thompson graduated I think they brought in Adrian Martinez so the situations aren't exactly comparable.

Now if you said we needed to do a better job developing quarterbacks I'd agree but reality is most teams don't have two capable quarterbacks they can roll with.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Outside of the Joel Lanning packages, how many QB rushing attempts has his offense called since he's been in Ames?

We have the same talent as K-State, yet our coach refuses to use a weapon that they consistently use..

We need to be recruiting dual threat QB's not pocket passers, until our offensive line gets a pulse. Throwing 3 yard out routes and screen passes doesn't require Peyton Manning at QB

Iowa is known for discipline on defense, maintaining their lanes and not missing assignments. On the read option they didn't even look at Rocco. Not once. There were a couple of times he could have made 20 yards walking.

I know if it works once it won't work again. But then do it that once! Make them look at you every time.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
We have a qb room of 3.

A redshirt freshman, a true freshman, and a late juco transfer who's ither offers were from Morehead State and Duquesne.

I don't think he wants to risk any injuries

Oh please. What's the worst that can happen -- we lose more games? That's an insane argument unless you're trying to win a championship or something.

shadow

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Central Iowa
Why didn't we go under center vs Iowa? Baffling after the success we had vs UNI.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Part of it has to be on Rocco to make the reads. Iowa’s DE bit on the handoff every single time and yet Rocco never even attempted to keep it. There were so many aspects of the offense that are a complete failure and that’s just one of them

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
If you are going to run zone read, the qb needs to keep it at least once in awhile. Rocco had a few opportunities where he should have.
A read-option when the QB never keeps it isn’t an option at all. It’s just a delayed handoff that gives the defense extra time to read the play.

I’m not even being clever, that’s literally what it is. Any ISU opponent looking at film will see the QB never keeps it on these “option” plays, they’re just gonna zero in on the back.

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Oh please. What's the worst that can happen -- we lose more games? That's an insane argument unless you're trying to win a championship or something.
The worst that can happen is JJ being forced to play more than 4 games, burning his redshirt and being classified as a sophomore next year, same as Rocco.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
A read-option when the QB never keeps it isn’t an option at all. It’s just a delayed handoff that gives the defense extra time to read the play.

I’m not even being clever, that’s literally what it is. Any ISU opponent looking at film will see the QB never keeps it on these “option” plays, they’re just gonna zero in on the back.
You mean a shotgun run on short yardage, where the first several steps the RB makes are parallel to the line of scrimmage is not affective against a 9 man box...

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron