Camp Report: Competition thick at WR

Cyhart

Aug 15, 2009
Des Moines
Something that I never really thought about is that, out of that huge stable of receivers we have, Williams is the only senior. So bascially everyone will be back yet again next year. Good deal.

St810s

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
West Des Moines
This is one of the most exciting position battles right now. I am anxious to see who comes out on top of the 2-deeps, who sees playing time, who redshirts.... etc.

I hope our upperclassman can hold on to their spots so we don't have to force any of these younger guys onto the field any earlier then we have to. Hoping to see lots of Jake, SJ, Darks, and Money. :yes:

jburke

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, IA
I know thinking about the team this year this was always discussed as a strength, but till you actually see the names and factor in the TE you really don't realize just how deep we are.... I see us offensively taking off big time this year... Exciting!!!!!

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
It is nice that there are so many options at WR, but I still feel like the team could use 6 less WRs and 3 more LBers and DE.

Clone9

Nov 12, 2006
Boston, MA
I'm excited too, but I really want to see them step up and have a great year this year. Hopefully (knock on wood) we will stay healthy at WR and the guys can showcase their talents. We NEED a couple of guys who can take the short pass and turn it in to big yards...our offense really works on this idea and thus far they haven't really shown that ability. I think they've got it, but they need to show it.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
have the WRs bulked up any from last year? Last year dropping passes was not the problem, it was being able to get off the line and get open. Way too many times the WRs were being man handled at the line and bumped off routes.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I'm excited too, but I really want to see them step up and have a great year this year. Hopefully (knock on wood) we will stay healthy at WR and the guys can showcase their talents. We NEED a couple of guys who can take the short pass and turn it in to big yards...our offense really works on this idea and thus far they haven't really shown that ability. I think they've got it, but they need to show it.

Exactly. This position worries me and will until we see it every week. Our whole passing game scares the crap out of me. I really hope that something clicks this year.

bfross

Apr 10, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
At this point, I have more confidence in the Defense wildly exceeding expectations than the passing game getting prolific.

That's what I'm thinking too. We don't have much to go on except for last year and about a half of camp of reports from this year. With that, history says that our defense outperformed our offense in camp and during the season. I feel like this is what is going to happen again; that people will be pleasantly surprised by our D and underwhelmed by our O.

I hope that this isn't the case and that both surprise us in a good way. Giving up less than 21 a game like last year and putting up Herman's 2nd year at Rice numbers would result in a very good season. :yes:

GMan

Jun 13, 2008
Minneapolis
Well, I suppose I will take the contrarian viewpoint. I'm optimistic about the receivers. I see last year's less than stellar passing attack in two parts. 1) Arnaud was learning a new offense and still developing as a player. I expect him to improve. 2) Injuries at wide receiver. If you keep in mind that ISU lost a lot of time to injury from 3 receivers they were expecting big things from (Darks, Reynolds, Johnson), it makes sense why they struggled at times to throw the ball.

I think the receivers will be upgraded simply from being healthy. A healthy Darks, Reynolds, and Johnson I think form a fine base to build a receiving core off of. I'm not concerned at all about a case of the dropsies in one practice. It happens.