Calvin Godfrey update

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Good point. Most of us hope he can attain redemption, I think. But at this point it is too early to speak of redemption. He has hasn't walked the difficult path to redemption. Until then the best predictor of future performance is his past behavior.

I hope he makes some changes, but I won't be shocked if he does not. Will you?

Nope. I wouldn't be surprised if he puts himself on a dead end. Like you, I'm just hoping he does better. At least he's young enough to have the chance.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
In order for him to consider coming back to ISU, I'm guessing Fred would need to start re-recruiting him right now. That might be awkward, considering Fred just kicked him off the team a few months ago. No way he's coming back.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Just thought I'd let you guys know that former Cyclone Calvin Godfrey has landed at Howard Junior College in Big Spring, Tex. I'd say it is safe to say that if he keeps his nose clean, Calvin will be playing high-major basketball in two years.

Thanks for the update Chris. Hope Calvin makes the most of this opportunity.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
I wish we still had him. He is going to turn out to be great.

Yeah, I agree. He could have been the difference some games next year, especially against teams having a dominant post presence. I had him inked as a starter next year.

tysforcy

Sep 3, 2008
Des Moines
Doubt Fred would ever take him back. That guy got repeated chances to fix his screw ups and never did. Calvin betrayed Fred's trust 3 different times. Why would Fred think it's going to be any different?

Let's take a look at our roster...plenty of 2nd chance guys. If Calvin cleans up then I think Fred gives him another look.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Nope. I wouldn't be surprised if he puts himself on a dead end. Like you, I'm just hoping he does better. At least he's young enough to have the chance.

I agree with you on that. FH has to be consistent in how he applies his rules.

On the other hand, if it were one of my clients, I would argue to the court that he has spent a year at a CC, has not had any further law violation, and has learned his lesson as evidenced by his heart-felt written apology to the ISU staff, university and Cyclone fans.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I agree with you on that. FH has to be consistent in how he applies his rules.

On the other hand, if it were one of my clients, I would argue to the court that he has spent a year at a CC, has not had any further law violation, and has learned his lesson as evidenced by his heart-felt written apology to the ISU staff, university and Cyclone fans.

I would have no problem at all with that. I'd welcome him back with open posting arms.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
Let's take a look at our roster...plenty of 2nd chance guys. If Calvin cleans up then I think Fred gives him another look.

This is completely different. Calvin screwed up multiple times while being on Fred's roster. Allen or Royce have not screwed up at all while being on campus. I bet Royce still has a short leash with FH. You guys are nuts to think Fred will take him back.

Reactions: CyDude16

tysforcy

Sep 3, 2008
Des Moines
This is completely different. Calvin screwed up multiple times while being on Fred's roster. Allen or Royce have not screwed up at all while being on campus. I bet Royce still has a short leash with FH. You guys are nuts to think Fred will take him back.

I don't honestly think we'll ever see CG back in a Cyclone uniform. I'm just saying if CG does get his act cleaned up, how can FH not give him another look?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I don't honestly think we'll ever see CG back in a Cyclone uniform. I'm just saying if CG does get his act cleaned up, how can FH not give him another look?

Lots of reasons why he wouldn't. One of which we might not have room for him or have a better player by then. There's no way for Fred to know he's got his act clean no matter what happens.

Cal has regrets if I understand his tweets correctly.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Is it true that the charges were dropped against him? I saw that rumor on another board.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008

Hopefully all of our scholarships will be locked up by that time. When is the earliest that Fred could make a determination that Calvin has his act cleaned up - next April? Several other schools are going to be beating down his door well before April. It's not as simple as Fred swooping in after Calvin passes his "test period".

Rhoadhoused

Apr 27, 2010
Ames, IA
I do know kids make mistakes, but it does take 3 mistakes to get kicked off. That is some pretty stupid behavior.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI
Personally, If it were me, I would not re-recruit/ welcome him back. It's not a matter of "getting it together", or another 2nd chance. It's a "fool me twice" principle.

And I am not at all against him getting a chance at Howard (or wherever it is) or even somewhere else. I do hope he makes the most of the next opportunity, gets an education, has success, etc.

It would just be awkward to have him back... but I'm not FH.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
In order for him to consider coming back to ISU, I'm guessing Fred would need to start re-recruiting him right now. That might be awkward, considering Fred just kicked him off the team a few months ago. No way he's coming back.

I don't know about that. If I understand correctly, the choice was really out of Fred's hands. I would think familiarity would balance any potential awkwardness, but it would probably be hard for all parties to go back down that track. I happen to think that Fred will do what he thinks is best, regardless of what anyone else thinks.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
I really thought he had some raw talent. Loved the way he rebounded.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. He fooled Fred 3 times....

Cyclones01

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 23, 2008
Urbandale
I really thought he had some raw talent. Loved the way he rebounded.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. He fooled Fred 3 times....

Well... considering he got the boot on the third strike I'd say he really only fooled him twice. I see what you're saying though. I'm glad he didn't get kicked off after his first offense. There are some things that I think the coaches should have a zero tolerance policy for, and I don't think what he did falls under that category. I think Fred handled it the right way. First a warning, then a suspension, then he gets kicked off. He was given 2 chances and didn't make the most of them. Sucks that he's gone though. I was excited to watch him play. Hopefully he will learn his lesson. I would be pretty shocked to see him in an ISU uniform again.

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Well... considering he got the boot on the third strike I'd say he really only fooled him twice. I see what you're saying though. I'm glad he didn't get kicked off after his first offense. There are some things that I think the coaches should have a zero tolerance policy for, and I don't think what he did falls under that category. I think Fred handled it the right way. First a warning, then a suspension, then he gets kicked off. He was given 2 chances and didn't make the most of them. Sucks that he's gone though. I was excited to watch him play. Hopefully he will learn his lesson. I would be pretty shocked to see him in an ISU uniform again.

Agree 100%. Good points.

kucyclone

Jan 16, 2008
Seattle
Chris, why do you say two years in the original post? Why couldn't he leave after just one year at a junior college?