Caleb Grill is Returning to Iowa State

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
Don’t tweet at players too (not just recruits)!?

For real though, that’s awful that UNLV fans DM’d him rude messages...I’m glad he said he’s had a warm welcome back here and we’re still living up to our brand of strong fan support.

I get ruthless (direct messages) from fans all the time that expect a little too much of us because they went to the Final Four in the 90s.

Like any fan base, there's bound to be nostalgia for the Final Four/Championship era, (a consistently good stretch from late-70s up until then).

But from '92 until '21, UNLV has been to one Sweet 16 (in '07) and only one other appearance in Round of 32.

Unrealistic expectations run amok.

I'm sure not all their fans are that way, but .... let it go. Come down to reality.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
He’ll apply for a waiver, that should be approved.

I know the NCAA has recently become more lenient, but what is Caleb's case for another waiver?

Remember he already received one to play immediately in Las Vegas.

Just general "COVID sucks, come on, be flexible" and "I am staying committed to a coach, give me a break?"

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I know the NCAA has recently become more lenient, but what is Caleb's case for another waiver?

Just general "COVID sucks, come on, be flexible" and "I am staying committed to a coach, give me a break?"

I could be wrong, but I think it has to do with the fact he'd be transferring back to his original school.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

Committing to TJ originally, he left for UNLV so he opened his commitment and committed to Iowa State. Prohm sucked so he transferred to the coach he originally wanted to play for. Said coach left for Iowa State. So he wants to transfer back to Iowa State where he’s already played to be with the coach he’s wanted to play for all along.

Plus Covid. Plus the new transfer rule just got passed. And with last year being a free year, in a way it doesn’t count, so he’d still be at Iowa State.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I could be wrong, but I think it has to do with the fact he'd be transferring back to his original school.

I thought somebody flagged that as an urban legend or at least more limited than a complete freebie.

Something about you can only "go back" for free if you only appeared in a very limited number of games for your new team (if any) and/or came back very quickly. I don't think that will apply to Grill.

He led UNLV in minutes last year. There is no de minimis argument about his time in Las Vegas.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA
I thought somebody flagged that as an urban legend or at least more limited than a complete freebie.

Something about you can only "go back" for free if you only appeared in a very limited number of games for your new team (if any) and/or came back very quickly. I don't think that will apply to Grill.

He led UNLV in minutes last year. There is no de minimis argument about his time in Las Vegas.

Like I said, I could be wrong.

• Friendly
Reactions: Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
https://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm

"Return to Original Institution without Participation or with Minimal Participation Exception
A student-athlete may transfer and play immediately if the student transferred to a second school and returns to his or her original school either without practicing or competing in athletics at all, except for one 14-day period (i.e. a tryout). Athletes may do this even if they were originally required to sit out for one year."

I guess that means we might be waiting to fire up the Grill another year.

He could land another waiver, as many of you have pointed out, but that is not for certain right now.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

"Return to Original Institution without Participation or with Minimal Participation Exception
A student-athlete may transfer and play immediately if the student transferred to a second school and returns to his or her original school either without practicing or competing in athletics at all, except for one 14-day period (i.e. a tryout). Athletes may do this even if they were originally required to sit out for one year."

He could land another waiver, as many of you have pointed out, but that is not for certain right now.

Hey dude it’s Friday. Try to unwind a bit.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park

Yeah but what happens when it’s a free year? And you’re following your HC? And said HC is going to said school you already played at? And you committed to said HC before enrolling at said school? He has the loophole of this being a free year, so did he ever even leave Iowa State?

Plus the one time transfer rule goes in effect this year. It wasn’t effective when he transferred away. I’m guessing with Covid still, they will be generous with their waivers again. Especially in a case like this with several loopholes.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
That’s a valid concern no doubt. I’m not expecting Hunter to be a great shooter, but I hope he’s effective enough where guys don’t actually “sag off” him.

I’m confident that Gabe will be a better shooter than 25%. If he can shoot his career average of 35%, I think I’d be fine with that.

I do think Foster is a good 3 point shooter. I think he honestly could’ve been one of our best shooters % wise last year had he not gotten injured.

We might have some bigger guys in Hinson & Kunc who are pretty solid 3 point shooters as well. I am hopeful that in a half court offense that gets players moving and teammates setting screens that guys like Tre Jackson & Javon Johnson can shoot 35%+ as spot up 3 point shooters.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Lol what? Why would the take away his eligibility?

He applies for the waiver and either gets it and is eligible to play 3 years. Or he doesn’t get it, redshirts, and after sitting is eligible to play 3 years.
Sounds like a no-brainer to approve the waiver.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Committing to TJ originally, he left for UNLV so he opened his commitment and committed to Iowa State. Prohm sucked so he transferred to the coach he originally wanted to play for. Said coach left for Iowa State. So he wants to transfer back to Iowa State where he’s already played to be with the coach he’s wanted to play for all along.

Plus Covid. Plus the new transfer rule just got passed. And with last year being a free year, in a way it doesn’t count, so he’d still be at Iowa State.
Well it is the NCAA, so we have that surprise to look forward to I guess.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
How did Caleb get his waiver approved to play immediately at UNLV last year?

Seems a lot of transfers did, including Harris and Hinson, even though he didn't play. Covid?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
How did Caleb get his waiver approved to play immediately at UNLV last year?

Seems a lot of transfers did, including Harris and Hinson, even though he didn't play. Covid?
Yeah it was COVID. So the thought is that Caleb already used that, so he’ll have to apply for a waiver.