Cael Interviews at PSU

Hassel13

Jan 12, 2009
West Des Moines
From www.whotv.com

ISU Wrestling Coach Cael Sanderson Interviews For New Job - WHO

Channel 13 sports has confirmed that Iowa State head wrestling coach Cael Sanderson is the leading candidate for the same job at Penn State.

Sports Director Keith Murphy reports that Sanderson has interviewed twice with Penn State. Penn State competes in the Big Ten conference against two time defending champion Iowa, but Penn State is thought to be a sleeping giant because of all the high school wrestling talent in Pennsylvania.

Sanderson is an Iowa State legend and a wrestling icon. He is the only collegiate wrestler in history to win four national championships while never losing a match (159-0). He also won the United States' only freestyle gold medal at the 2004 Summer Olympics.

Upon being hired as Iowa State's head wrestling coach in 2006, Sanderson said, "We want to be the dominant program in the country. I know the expectations are high and that's what I love about Iowa State. We're going to win national championships. There are no other goals here." He already came close once, finishing second in 2007.

Sanderson could not be reached for comment.

ISUCyclones

Nov 10, 2007
Ames
I don't even want to know anymore... I will be sick if he goes... Damn, I hope he loves ISU as much as I do.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
It's really hard right now to not jump to conclusions, because the evidence is right there out in the open. All I got to say is if this is true, then screw him. This would be even worse than Gable going to Iowa - hell, that was our own fault because we let him get away. This would be Cael stabbing us in the back - he has only the second prestigious job in the college wrestling world right now, and if he doesn't want it, screw it.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa
If he leaves this would be the dumbest decision that he could do.

ISU has to be in the top 3 wrestling programs in the nation, why in the **** would you leave that for a "sleeper", not smart to turn your back on the place that made you what you are today.....

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Well, if he does leave, we SHOULD theoretically have a pick of just about any coach out there....

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
If Cael leaves I guess the old saying is true, "B.S. walks and money talks". It has to be something more then money though because I don't think Cael operates that way.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

ISU has to be in the top 3 wrestling programs in the nation, why in the **** would you leave that for a "sleeper", not smart to turn your back on the place that made you what you are today.....

I went to Penn State as well as Iowa State, and the wrestling following there is nothing compared to what it is here. He would have to be leaving because:
1. More money
2. Strained relationship w/Pollard
3. Less pressure to win national titles there

I'm guessing all three...

jtd9046

Dec 20, 2006
Chicago

Lol... so ISU made Cael and without 'us' he would never have been that good???

Yes this would suck to lose him, but if the money is there you can't blame him for listening.

I have a great job and truly appreciate the opportunity this company has given me, but if someone else came calling with more $$$ I would listen.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown
I went to Penn State as well as Iowa State, and the wrestling following there is nothing compared to what it is here. He would have to be leaving because:
1. More money
2. Strained relationship w/Pollard
3. Less pressure to win national titles there

I'm guessing all three...

If they're going to pay him the kind of money people are saying, I hope they're expecting national titles.