- Sep 8, 2011
Maybe you already know these, but just in caseI will start building a 14x19 deck at the back of my house with a walkout basement in couple weeks, and wanted to see if people have any suggestions/advice from personal experience in similar matter.
- Buy an impact driver if you don't have one
- Use torx screws instead of philips
- Install joists crown side up
- Mount beams to posts with through bolts
- Research how you want to attach the ledger board. Some people just screw it on top of the siding. Others remove some siding, and attach the ledger to a solid structure, and add flashing to bring water out over the ledger. The latter seems better, but you need to have some siding knowledge
- How you do your footings is another big decision, but it sounds like you made that choice. Interesting that the diamond piers don't reach below the frost level. When I built my deck, everyone said that was critical. Maybe that advice has changed