Building a deck

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
It would probably be a total pain in the butt but Kreg makes a pocket hole jig for decks so you don't have to walk over the screw heads. If I ever built another deck I'd absolutely be doing that.
Not sure if that would be compatible with Trex decking boards design but it’s worth looking into.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
Still not a fan of composite. Hopefully it has a bunch of shade, if not be ready to burn your feet. That stuff gets hot as hell.
Yeah that’s one of the concerns I have that hopefully isn’t as bad. Decking is light color so that should help some. And the way it’s made according to Trex, it’s not supposed to get hot, so we’ll see. Deck will face SW so that doesn’t help.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
My only suggestion would be to think again about using Trex. I don't care what they say it will mold and fade unless you seal it. I use 5/4 cedar decking. Yes, it may take a little more upkeep over the years, but you can't beat the look, and if you need to replace a board in the future you can make it match with your older boards perfectly where not so much the Trex. And that's assuming they will still be making what you bought in a few years. Plus, it will save you a bunch of money to boot. The initial cost of Trex will not be made up over time because it is NOT maintenance free.
Well hopefully you are wrong cause the material has already been ordered and paid for.

Reactions: khardbored

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
The footings are going to be the biggest PITA of the building process. The rest is pretty easy. Make sure you have enough of them to support the span of the joists and that they’re level, plumb and square. Decks are an easy target for a home inspector if you ever try to sell. Make sure everything is up to code.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Well hopefully you are wrong cause the material has already been ordered and paid for.

Just make sure you have extra so in the future if for any reason you need to replace a damaged piece or two it will be an exact match. Other than that.......keep it clean and watch as time goes on if it starts to absorb moisture. When/if that happens you will need to seal it with something like Defy. Good luck.

Reactions: legi

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
The footings are going to be the biggest PITA of the building process. The rest is pretty easy. Make sure you have enough of them to support the span of the joists and that they’re level, plumb and square. Decks are an easy target for a home inspector if you ever try to sell. Make sure everything is up to code.

This,

When I did mine, digging the post holes to below frontline, setting the posts and pouring the concrete was by far the biggest PITA for the whole deal. The steps on my first deck were a challenge as I cut the stringers myself but after doing it once, I found that the menards and other shops around prefab stringers that makes life much easier.

keepngoal

OKA: keepingoal
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Good luck. Share photos if you can.

blizzisu

Nov 4, 2009
Polk City, IA
Take a look at TimberTech pro series. It is much more scratch resistant than Trex. After seeing how much labor went in to the replacement of a 12x20 deck, I'd never touch that project. 2-4 guys working 4-6 hours for at least 5 days.

We are a year in and have been happy with composite. No mold issues so far. It could use a light power wash after the winter.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
As long as the decking is PVC capped, you shouldn't have worries about warping. Be sure your joists are 16" on center (or less), or you will have sagging problems with the decking. Hidden fasteners are awesome, the only drawback is if you have to replace one board it's tedious.

One thing you need to remember is the fascia (the wide, thinner piece that covers the outside joists) should NOT be screwed tightly without drilling holes through it first that are slightly larger than the diameter of the threaded part of the screw. The key is that the fascia only hangs on the screw....that way if heat causes minor expansion, it has room to move and won't become misshaped. (I learned this the hard way.) ;)

Which Trex line did you use? Enhance?

do4CY

Aug 30, 2020
Don't rush on the framing, spend time to get that done right. Make sure you use the correct size hardware to attach the ledgers and beams.

The hidden fasteners for the trex makes it look really clean, plus you aren't opening up a bunch of holes for water and dirt to get in and ruin things. They also act as spacers.

• Agree

CycloneBob

Aug 9, 2010
Ames
FYI, FWIW, we added a 22' x 26' deck sounding similar to your plan in 2018. We did it ourselves. We purchased Trex for the decking - so far so good, very satisfied, no mildew or mold problems, would do it again. Ours is on the NE corner of the house, so it gets sunlight likely half the day (which will combat moisture buildup that could cause mold/mildew concerns). One big area to address is joist spacing - follow the recommendations. For example, if you plan to run the deck boards diagonally (as we did), you need to narrow up the joist spacing. Enjoy the challenge - good luck.

nautical12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2009
Mason City
Take a look at TimberTech pro series. It is much more scratch resistant than Trex. After seeing how much labor went in to the replacement of a 12x20 deck, I'd never touch that project. 2-4 guys working 4-6 hours for at least 5 days.

We are a year in and have been happy with composite. No mold issues so far. It could use a light power wash after the winter.

This. We did Timbertech (AZEK) on our deck a few years ago and haven't regretted spending the extra money one bit. The JIG it comes with made it extremely easy to put on as well

• Informative
Reactions: legi and SCyclone

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I don't had personal experience but I've often been told not to fasten to house. If deck settles it can move or damage whatever it is fastened to. I'd be curious as to the experience of others.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
If you're spending that kind of money go with cedar decking. Composite is garbage. And for the footing to deck posts go with 6×6 and notch them.