Bug Repellent

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
So I’m around working in the garage quite a bit with the door open and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations on mosquito and other bug control for an extended period of time. Something that can be set out that actually works. I hate having to shut the door just to keep them out.

It’d be nice to have something for the deck as well.

GoClone

Apr 16, 2006
Look into a ThermaCell. They repel mosquitoes and many other bugs with out chemical sprays and smell/stink. You just need to turn them on about ten minutes before going out. We are able to sit out on our deck when no one else can.

Note, that they do get warm so you would not want them close to anything flammable in a garage. They also are a great gift for the person that already "has everything."

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Look into a ThermaCell. They repel mosquitoes and many other bugs with out chemical sprays and smell/stink. You just need to turn them on about ten minutes before going out. We are able to sit out on our deck when no one else can.

Note, that they do get warm so you would not want them close to anything flammable in a garage. They also are a great gift for the person that already "has everything."

How well does it work against gnats?

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I'm trying these out for the first time this year: https://spartanmosquito.com placed them in between the house and the creek than runs through the property, hoping for some relief.
I'm intrigued. We have 3 acres of woods with a creek running through the bottom acre. Mosquitos are an issue for us in damp years. Let me know how well this product works, please?

Reactions: cyfanatic

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
I'm trying these out for the first time this year: https://spartanmosquito.com placed them in between the house and the creek than runs through the property, hoping for some relief.

I'm glad you mentioned this, because I forgot all about this. My backyard butts up to woods with a creek. There is a wooded lot across the street too. I'm going to give these a shot, it's been a very wet winter and spring here in East Texas and the mosquitoes are packing a punch already.

discydisc

Flag Designer Extraordinaire
Jan 14, 2014
Ames
I'm intrigued. We have 3 acres of woods with a creek running through the bottom acre. Mosquitos are an issue for us in damp years. Let me know how well this product works, please?
Going on a little over a month now and so far these seemed to have performed as advertised.
Walking into the timber outside of the perimeter of the traps we get swarmed, but are mosquito free on the deck late into the evening when in past years we would have been forced inside.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I bought a propane fired fogger a couple of seasons ago, and i feel like it helped some. But I didn't use it enough to see if it actually prevented them, or just helped for the evening.

I'm curious of this Spartan thing. It seems to good to be true.

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Going on a little over a month now and so far these seemed to have performed as advertised.
Walking into the timber outside of the perimeter of the traps we get swarmed, but are mosquito free on the deck late into the evening when in past years we would have been forced inside.
You're seeing skeeters in Ames already? Haven't seen any here yet (rural Story Co south of Nevada).

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

ImJustKCClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
That's roughly where I'm at, west of Cambridge. Haven't updated my location since moving.
If you're down near where the Skunk has been ponding, that might be why. We're damp here, but not ponding. Once the rain stops & the creek slows down, we'll start seeing them.

MuskieCy

Nov 4, 2006
The Mississippi is down a hill out our backyard. Normally, it would take a well struck driver to maybe make the river.

This year the river has been an 8 iron away since early March. The gnats are about 2,000 per cubic yard of air. Try hitting a shot with 50+ swarming your face. I may need a blood transfusion.

Nine holes tonight we're as miserable as I have ever experienced. The mosquito onslaught will be much more bearable.

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Help Support Us

Become a patron