Bowlsby goes on the record with UT/OU and the Big12

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
Texas wasn't going to get to keep LHN even had they stayed in the Big 12. ESPN regretted that decision within 2 years of making it, and it wasn't going to be renewed.
I can agree to that, but they still could of done some nice 3rd tier deal and a Big12 with OuT would of garnered competitive contract.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
With the LHN, Big12, and other revenues they're making more money than anyone. Like others have said if they can't win with the cash advantage they have now... When they go to the SEC they're going have a larger conference payout but lose the LHN.
I'd be willing to bet UT/OU know they aren't going to be more sucessful in the SEC. The move was part of the ESPN mini-NFL plan for the CFB's big programs. And of course, the money that was to come from it.

JUKEBOX

Oct 27, 2008
reasons why they moved imo:

1. they have pretty much been mediocre since colt mccoy left
2. longhorn network not being renewed
3. espn wanting to package more top tier programs into a product they've heavily invested in (sec) -- as a company I believe espn almost has a monopoly on cfb but is like hemorrhaging money due to their business model (cancelling lhn and trying to pay less for the other 8 teams saves them money) -- I also think the sec hype (or uh propaganda?) that espn does trying to promote their product has brainwashed their tshirt fans and has been kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy over the last decade
4. weird complex that they have
5. scared to death that a&m might surpass them (never would admit it but in their subconscious) -- a&m is also a&m so whether or not that would actually happen is suspect

maybe there's some media markets growth and nil or semi-pro league planning or something, but I think we would have little visibility into that

the move really screws over a lot of other teams though -- texas may be in a position at some point where it seems like they've pissed off like half the country's athletic departments -- however they have a strong brand so they kind of get away with it

Last edited:

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia

3. espn wanting to package more top tier programs into a product they've heavily invested in (sec) -- as a company I believe espn almost has a monopoly on cfb but is like hemorrhaging money due to their business model (cancelling lhn and trying to pay less for the other 8 teams saves them money) -- I also think the sec hype (or uh propaganda?) that espn does trying to promote their product has brainwashed their tshirt fans and has been kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy over the last decade
5. scared to death that a&m might surpass them (never would admit it but in their subconscious) -- a&m is also a&m so whether or not that would actually happen is suspect

maybe there's some media markets growth and nil or semi-pro league planning or something, but I think we would have little visibility into that

the move really screws over a lot of other teams though -- texas may be in a position at some point where it seems like they've pissed off like half the country's athletic departments -- however they have a strong brand so they kind of get away with it
Their whole business model rides on the CFP expansion model. That, in itself, is THE biggest chess move left. And one which ALL of CFB should seriously maintain control of; not the SEC.

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Their whole business model rides on the CFP expansion model with no limit on number of teams from a conference. That, in itself, is THE biggest chess move left. And one which ALL of CFB should seriously maintain control of; not the SEC.

The bolded was the key part of this move. The plan was for the CFP to expand and allowing conferences no limits on the teams to get in. As we see in the polls, Several SEC teams are routinely ranked in the top 10, thus giving them more playoff spots, and therefore, a larger disproportionate pot of the CFB money.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America

They have zero dignity, integrity and the levels at which they are insecure is beyond wild to try and comprehend.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
As somebody on Reddit said about Texas...

"Running away from Baylor, Oklahoma State, and Iowa State because the competition is too stiff into the SEC is like running away from a particularly yippy chihuahua into a volcano."

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
The bolded was the key part of this move. The plan was for the CFP to expand and allowing conferences no limits on the teams to get in. As we see in the polls, Several SEC teams are routinely ranked in the top 10, thus giving them more playoff spots, and therefore, a larger disproportionate pot of the CFB money.
Completely agree. 'Model' implies a fair assessment; specifically prohibiting any/all media who benefits contractually from the voting.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
And for the record who let you in the big eight? Texas destroyed the SWC and slowly tried to here as well, good luck SEC in keeping these pricks at bay.

The SWC was going to die no matter what or who was in it! Basically a 1 state conference wasn't ever going to survive with the evolution of college football, marketing and tv money. But I do agree with your sentiment...Texas is only about Texas...even if it seems detrimental to themselves!

Reactions: CyBobby

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
But do they though?

The people actually making the decisions do, I think.

Their internal culture is irreparably broken and Del Conte knows this. He's just trying to maximize revenue and give the delusional boosters something to pound their chest about because their football team isn't getting done.

Reactions: CyBobby

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
I'd be willing to bet UT/OU know they aren't going to be more sucessful in the SEC. The move was part of the ESPN mini-NFL plan for the CFB's big programs. And of course, the money that was to come from it.

Yeah...this isn't the end of the movement/evolution of college football. It is just a step! For sure some out there think they can piece together and build that "mini" NFL style conference. Sadly, it will happen...but it will take some more time!

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
My favorite quotes...

“They’re (Texas) thinking they’re going to recruit better and they’re going to get more money,” Bowlsby said. “Anybody that thinks Texas’ football problems have been a result of league affiliation are completely delusional.”

and,

Texas fans have long complained about the home schedule. For example, few fans are excited about Kansas coming to Royal-Memorial Stadium on Nov. 13. “Well, here comes Vanderbilt,” Bowlsby said. “Every league is structured similarly to what ours is. There’s three or four bell cows and there’s the rest.”

Texas problems are not financial and they have always had some of the higher ranked recruiting classes. Their record in FB and BB is very telling since they kicked Mack Brown and Rick Barnes to the curb:

FB since 2014 including so far this season: 52-42
BB since 2015: 109-86

In FB they had 3 losing seasons and just 1 season with 10 wins in that stretch. In BB no more than 21 wins in a season and has not advanced out of the 1st round of the NCAA tournament the 3 seasons they made it including losing in the first round as a 3 seed last season.

Compare ISU to that same time period:
FB: 44-49 we had some pretty lean years 14-16 wining a combined 7 games but on the upward trend with winning seasons since 2017
BB: 97-95 The last 2 seasons obviously hurt that record but we still made 3 NCAA tournaments including a sweet 16 and round of 32 which is more than Texas could do.

My point: The gap with Texas is not a big as some make it out to be. They really have been nothing more than a middle of the pack team competitively in the 2 major sports lately and moving to the SEC isn't going to change that. They haven't won a conference title in FB since 2009 and BB since 2008. The Texas of 2000-2010 decade was a powerhouse in both sports but the Texas of the past decade has not come close to living up to the name recognition they have had over the years. ISU has had bigger "downs" than Texas has had but you can argue that the "ups" have been on the same level if not better than Texas in recent years. They are going from a conference that catered to them with their own TV network and a stupid rule about horns down to a conference where they will get no special treatment. Good luck...