Bowl Situation Thread

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Well, I guess there shouldn't be too much complaining on this site about the Alabama-LSU rematch, considering the opinion that the BCS is the ultimate system at determining a national champion.

For you BCS-lovers out there, your championship game has been determined. Hope you have fun watching the game on January 9th. Personally, I'm going to be busy that evening. I have no clue what I'll be doing that evening, but it will be something other than watching that farce of a game.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Yes I am serious and I bet 97% of my teammates will agree. In fact, almost all teammates who were in both Shreveport and Boise said Boise was far better no contest.

I was there as a fan. I'm guesing you and your teammates didn't get to see the afrodisiacs?:twitcy:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Well, I guess there shouldn't be too much complaining on this site about the Alabama-LSU rematch, considering the opinion that the BCS is the ultimate system at determining a national champion.

For you BCS-lovers out there, your championship game has been determined. Hope you have fun watching the game on January 9th. Personally, I'm going to be busy that evening. I have no clue what I'll be doing that evening, but it will be something other than watching that farce of a game.

The problem with this BCS is it violates most of the principles of those that like the BCS. Most who do think that the regular season should be the 'playoff' and the first round of that is winning your conference. Alabama didnt win, so it shouldnt be in that game.

ISUcy08

Dec 22, 2008
Mizzou got the Big FU from the Big XII. There is no reason to be upset with the conference. If you want to be mad, be mad at the BCS. The Big XII is the best conference this year and we only got one BCS invite. If KSU would have been picked it would be a different story.

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
We did jump Mizzou.... they are going to the at large Independence bowl... The Big XII did help us out.

I didn't see that when I made the comment...my bad. Still sucks the Big 10 and ACC got 2 into the BCS. I would have been able to go to about any other bowl game. Oh well...

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
The only thing that screwed us was the 9 game schedule which gave teams such as KSU and OU several losses they would have not had in a divisional format.

No way in the world Big 12 did not deserve two bids

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
So much for the Big XII looking out for us. Was really thinking we would jump Missouri and A & M. This is going to hurt out travel to bowl games reputation.

You would think any sentient bowl representatives would be aware that a bowl game at the end of December in a northern city in an outdoor baseball stadium is about the stupidest idea ever.

Jnecker4cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2006
Ankeny, IA
Mizzou got the Big FU from the Big XII. There is no reason to be upset with the conference. If you want to be mad, be mad at the BCS. The Big XII is the best conference this year and we only got one BCS invite. If KSU would have been picked it would be a different story.

My guess is Mizzou is just fine with Shrevport. Better match up, close to home, lots of fans will be there compared to Mizzou to NYC.

The same can be said for us. We would have a better match up vs. UNC, and many more fans there.

In the end the BIG 12 sticking up for us was a big kick in the nads, again.

C

CyBer

No, its not. Probably similar when all is said and done (more travel cost to SD, cheaper once you get there- ive been to San Diego multiple times). But San Diego will be much more enjoyable. You're the one telling people to 'suck it up' about the NYC bowl, but you're not having to justify a very large expenditure to go to a very undesirable location. Its basically vacation time\money for most people, and they dont want to spend it freezing their *** off. For the same money i could put myself on the beach somewhere with some sun and margaritas.

I'm saying suck it up because everyone was whining about the money. If you can afford to go to California, you can afford to go to New York. I understand the whole "warm weather" thing, but that wasn't what I was saying. I'm saying, we are just lucky to be going to a bowl and our players deserve to go. If you don't want to go to New York, don't, but please quit whining about the price.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA
Pinkel had LSU and Bama as 1 & 2. Says the BCS should match the two best and it worked this year. Shouldn't be surprised that he would stick a middle finger up to the B12 but this pisses me off.

clonechemist

Apr 3, 2007
Philadelphia
You are going to pay just as much anywhere else? Now who is being stupid? New York is probably the most expensive city in the country.

It's only more expensive if you insist on enjoying the highest luxury available.

Plenty of places to eat for cheap in NYC, and you can easily get hotels in totally safe/'nice' areas for <$150 a night if you're willing to drive or take transit to the game. Book it.

San Diego and San Francisco are just as expensive, unless you are looking to stay at the Plaza or something in NYC. And yeah obviously the weather is better in SD but it's also sprawled out like crazy and driving anywhere is a nightmare.

Sparkplug

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Go to DC and take the train to NYC at 6:20 am and take the 8:45 pm back. Great rates of $109 at the DC Omni

C

CyBer

It's only more expensive if you insist on enjoying the highest luxury available.

Plenty of places to eat for cheap in NYC, and you can easily get hotels in totally safe/'nice' areas for <$150 a night if you're willing to drive or take transit to the game. Book it.

San Diego and San Francisco are just as expensive, unless you are looking to stay at the Plaza or something in NYC. And yeah obviously the weather is better in SD but it's also sprawled out like crazy and driving anywhere is a nightmare.
This.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
I'm saying suck it up because everyone was whining about the money. If you can afford to go to California, you can afford to go to New York. I understand the whole "warm weather" thing, but that wasn't what I was saying. I'm saying, we are just lucky to be going to a bowl and our players deserve to go. If you don't want to go to New York, don't, but please quit whining about the price.

Part of "afford" is what you get for said dollar. Both trips get a football game but one offers much more for the given dollar(s). I can afford both but the return on investment is only good enough to pull the trigger on the Holiday Bowl option.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

Its price to value. I'd balk at a $30 cheeseburger's price, but a $30 steak is going to be much more worth it.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Pinkel had LSU and Bama as 1 & 2. Says the BCS should match the two best and it worked this year. Shouldn't be surprised that he would stick a middle finger up to the B12 but this pisses me off.

Of course. He will be spending the next few years of his coaching career on his knees (assuming he gets that many). Might as well start early.