Bowl Game Scenario

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
Suppose the following things happen:

1. Oklahoma State wins out.
2. Oklahoma wins out except for Bedlam.
3. Texas wins out.

Who would get the nod for getting into a BCS Bowl game, Oklahoma or Texas? Both would be 10-2 and (7-2). Oklahoma would have the tiebreaker, but Texas would be coming off a 6 game winning streak without having gotten upset by a weaker conference opponent.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
It wouldn't be guaranteed vthat either gets one. It would be up to the bowl to decide whether they want them as an at-large. I would think that OU would get the preference due to them being in the national title hunt for much of the year.

statsaholic

May 17, 2006
Sloan, Iowa

3. Texas wins out.

Who would get the nod for getting into a BCS Bowl game, Oklahoma or Texas? Both would be 10-2 and (7-2). Oklahoma would have the tiebreaker, but Texas would be coming off a 6 game winning streak without having gotten upset by a weaker conference opponent.

Ahh... Oklahoma would have the tiebreaker.... Seems to sum it up for me.

CycloneJames

Dec 1, 2009
Ankeny
Hopefully 1 of the 2 would get the BCS nod. I really want the Big 12 to get 2 BCS bids, partly for the money, but mostly because I think the conference absolutely deserves it. I would love to see Oklahoma State's offense match up against LSU's defense, so I will be cheering for OSU in bedlam. Of course it won't really have as much meaning after we shock the world! :yes:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Essentially, whichever one is ranked higher in the BCS will get the BCS bowl slot (assuming there's a spot open for them - and considering 10 open spots and the ACC, Big East, and Big 10 are all lucky to get one, I wouldn't worry about the Big 12 getting two in).

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008

3. Texas wins out.

Hard to say, will be lots of 1 and 2 loss teams for them to choose from. Let's say LSU and Okie St play in the BCS title game.

Rose - Stanford / Penn St.
Orange - Clemson / Cincy
Fiesta - Boise St / ???
Sugar - Alabama / ???

And don't forget, if Houston finishes in the top 12, they are in too (at least I think I'm reading that right).

So here would be the teams to choose from for those 2 (maybe 1) spots:

Oklahoma (2 losses)
Texas (2 losses)
Oregon (2 losses)
Va Tech (2 losses)

It will pretty much come down to how far OU and Oregon fall after losing to 2 of the top 4 teams in the country. I think OU ends up being the highest rated of the 2-loss teams and will be the one that gets in.

If I'm wrong on Houston getting the auto-bid, then I think the choice is easy: OU and Oregon are in.

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
It wouldn't be guaranteed vthat either gets one. It would be up to the bowl to decide whether they want them as an at-large. I would think that OU would get the preference due to them being in the national title hunt for much of the year.

At first I looked at this and scoffed a little bit, then I did a little checking up, and it's not as clear cut as I thought.

Conference champions would be LSU, Oklahoma State, Wisconsin, Stanford (if they can beat Oregon), Clemson/Virginia Tech, and Cincinnati. For the 4 at large bids, Boise State will get an automatic berth. Then you'll probably have Alabama getting the next. Then there's a number of teams that could qualify: Oklahoma, Texas, Oregon, Clemson/Virginia Tech, and Houston. I would like to think an undefeated Houston would get the nod after winning a C-USA championship game over ranked Southern Miss, but who knows how that will turn out. Then it would come down to (hopefully) 2 loss Oregon versus 2 loss OU/Texas. If Oregon beats Stanford, there's no question that Stanford would be in a BCS game.

For the sake of this discussion, let's assume the Big XII has the 2 best options for that tenth spot.

CyBroncos

Aug 5, 2010
West Des Moines
If Texas wins out and OU loses Bedlam and both are sitting there at 10-2, I could see the Fiesta Bowl picking the Horns even though OU beat them. OU has been to the Fiesta Bowl several times recently so I could the Fiesta wanting new blood and taking a Texas team that will bring a large number of fans

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
Essentially, whichever one is ranked higher in the BCS will get the BCS bowl slot (assuming there's a spot open for them - and considering 10 open spots and the ACC, Big East, and Big 10 are all lucky to get one, I wouldn't worry about the Big 12 getting two in).

Simply not true, we have seen over the years rankings do not matter. Remember a 9-3 Illinois team went to the Rose Bowl? Rankings do not matter, head to head does not matter. Outside of winning your conference you are selected to the BCS based on your travel and what your school will guarantee to bring to the game. Rational thinking is not used in bowl games. Everyone needs to remember that.

nhclone

Nov 20, 2008
People are failing to take into account one very important thing:

W,L,WW,LL,WW,LL,W,L,WW,LL,WW,LL,WW,LLL,WWW,LLLL,WWWW
The 2 in bold are the Okie St, Oklahoma games. Niether one of those teams wins out this season.

MLawrence

Jan 21, 2010
CarolinaCy said:
And don't forget, if Houston finishes in the top 12, they are in too (at least I think I'm reading that right).

The BCS only has to take one team from a non-BCS conference. If both Houston and Boise State finish in the top 12 they only have to take Boise State or who ever is higher at the end of the season.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
The BCS only has to take one team from a non-BCS conference. If both Houston and Boise State finish in the top 12 they only have to take Boise State or who ever is higher at the end of the season.

Yeah, just saw this line in the rules:

No more than one such team from Conference USA, the Mid-American Conference, the Mountain West Conference, the Sun Belt Conference, and the Western Athletic Conference shall earn an automatic berth in any year. However, a second team from one of these conferences may qualify as a BCS at-large.

So there's a chance that they could take Houston over a 2-loss OU/UT/Oregon team, but probably not likely

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
People are failing to take into account one very important thing:

W,L,WW,LL,WW,LL,W,L,WW,LL,WW,LL,WW,LLL,WWW,LLLL,WWWW
The 2 in bold are the Okie St, Oklahoma games. Niether one of those teams wins out this season.

Wow, and I thought the pattern died last year.