Born vs. Converted Cyclone Fan

Born or Converted ISU Fan

• Total voters

cyclon

Nov 26, 2006
Since everyone on here has a different background, I was wondering how many actually were born a cyclone fan and how many converted to one later in life.

I'll start, I converted.

I grew up in Lincoln as obviously a huge Nebraska fan. I continued my love for Nebraska even after I moved to Iowa in highschool. It wasn't until my sophomore year at ISU that I made my full conversion.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Grew up in Dubuque, Iowa fan through HS. Went to ISU - never looked back.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
Grew up in the heart of "Hawkdom", southeast Iowa. However, my parents both graduated from ISU so I was an ISU fan from birth. Always hated Iowa.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
I spent the first 9 years of my life in western SD essentially unaware that college sports existed! When I moved to Iowa I got sucked into being a Hawk fan. Once I started writing checks to ISU my allegiance changed!

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Grew up a Mizzou fan in northern Missouri. Switched to ISU my second year in ames. I still root for Mizzou but not when they play ISU.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
Haven't we had this thread before?

Anyway, I grew up a Hawk fan. Went to school, converted to being a fan of both. That changed during 2002 football season. Iowa fans were such complete jerks to me about our collapse that season that I could never again cheer for Iowa. I've hated them ever since.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny
I never really payed much attention to college sports (grew up in the quad cities). My sister was on the Hawkeye Marching Band starting my junior year of high school. I saw 'em in the Outback bowl and have attended more games than I'd ever like to admit in that dump to the east. Wasn't ever really that big into them though. Have been a die-hard Cyclone ever since I put in my application

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Born in Long Island, NY, where they don't give a rip about college sports, so I had no parental influence as to which college I chose to cheer for (Dad actually made fun of me for watching college sports :embarrassed:). Moved to Davenport when I was 4. Fell in love with Iowa almost immediately, although I would cheer for ISU when they weren't playing Iowa (especially NCAA Tourney time). Found out Iowa didn't offer my area of interests, but ISU did. Became an ISU fan almost overnight. Gradually learned to hate my once beloved Hawks...

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Ditto DaddyMac, except I grew up in Clinton.

(The Dark Side, much power has, in Eastern Iowa -- in my best Yoda voice)

Hometown is just outside of Clinton, was a **** until Jr. High then I saw the light. Of course my entire family roots for/donates etc to Iowa. That makes me sad.

rd4isu

Apr 11, 2006
Born and raised a Hawk fan in Eastern Iowa. Saw the light freshman year at ISU and haven't looked back. Still irks my Hawk family:)

clonefromNE

SuperFanatic
Oct 27, 2006
Boston
Born in omaha to cyclone parents, I was partial to the cyclones from birth. Despite this, there was a dark time in my life when I was a big husker fan due to my surroundings. Fortunately I saw the light in middle school when my sister started going to ISU...and I've never looked back! Cyclones all the way...and proud of it.

mg4cy

Feb 5, 2007
Iowa
Born in Omaha, lived in Western Iowa (media), so default Husker fan, until I went to ISU...converted.