BoR laughs at ISU

HiltonMagic

Apr 12, 2006
CA
Visit site
This is a sad day in the history of college sports in America; and Sally Mason, Gary Barta and the University of Iowa have all been a part of it. They have sent the message that it is all about the money. The spirit of antitrust laws do not matter. It's o.k. to trample on others that have less than you. It is o.k. for tax-exempt charitable orgranizations that are supposed to exist to support student athletes and their best interests can be all about nothing more than money and greed. That is what that "Yes" vote meant. Sally Mason and Gary Barta have sold their soles to satan. Satan re-incarnated is Jim Delaney. Sally Mason and Gary Barta will both one day have to answer to a higher power about this "Yes" vote and their attempt to cover-up the rape of young, innocent female student athlete in the Fall of 2007.

glad to see you have stopped yelling.

cohawk

Jun 9, 2010
Oh really, it was?

Please read my first post. Asking if Iowa is in a vulnerable enough position for a no vote to comprise their inclusion in Big Telly is not comparing Iowa to ISU. In fact, no where in the first post did I mention Iowa in relation to ISU.

I agree though; it is sad some need to justify their position based on ISU's.

Actually you did bring Iowa into this discussion. You stated she was afraid to vote no because Iowa may get booted from the Big Ten. You then went on to say we add nothing to the Big Ten. You were factually refuted but dodged it despite the fact that AD revenue at Iowa is higher than over half of the member institutions of the Big Ten. That's even if you dump the Big Ten TV money. Iowa would be at the bottom of the pile revenue wise if they really offerred nothing.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Which again brings up the point of whether or not the BOR should be able to tell a University president how to vote. Apparently you think they should, even though you fail to understand that a "no" vote from Mason would only have been symbolic.

THH, please try....first post: "And for those who say it would not matter: then why not have Sally Mason vote no."

Again, if it would have mattered I could see the BoR being a little apprehensive b/c Sally voting "no" could be so unattractive to other Big 10 schools, that it would risk Iowa's membership.... especially given the reasons why realignment is happening.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Iowa is not a founding member of the Big Ten FWIW. Perhaps Sally Mason felt that Nebraska was a better fit both academically and athletically. Not everything has to be a slight to ISU.

The Iowa Athletic Department at Iowa finished 15th nationally in total revenue last year. They bring more to the table than you are giving them credit for.

I wish ISU would be admitted into the Big 10 along with Missouri. I just don't think that is going to happen.

Can some of you not read or what? There was never a problem with Iowa. The problem is with the BoR. They do nothing to help ISU. It has been made clear that they have hitched their cart to Iowa and really aren't concerned about ISU. It isn't about changing anything. No, that vote changes nothing but at least it would have been a sign that they at least try to help ISU. No one ever said anything about Iowa not bringing anything to the table. This is not about Iowa. Contrary to popular belief, not everything is about you guys.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
THH, please try....first post: "And for those who say it would not matter: then why not have Sally Mason vote no."

Again, if it would have mattered I could see the BoR being a little apprehensive b/c Sally voting "no" could be so unattractive to other Big 10 schools, that it would risk Iowa's membership.... especially given the reasons why realignment is happening.

But earlier you said that the BOR should be able to tell Mason how to vote. Get your story straight, old man.

What exactly did you want the BOR to do today?

cohawk

Jun 9, 2010
Can some of you not read or what? There was never a problem with Iowa. The problem is with the BoR. They do nothing to help ISU. It has been made clear that they have hitched their cart to Iowa and really aren't concerned about ISU. It isn't about changing anything. No, that vote changes nothing but at least it would have been a sign that they at least try to help ISU. No one ever said anything about Iowa not bringing anything to the table. This is not about Iowa. Contrary to popular belief, not everything is about you guys.

I can read. Below is the post that started it. It very clearly sates Iowa bring nothing to the table and was afraid to vote no because of it. So the BoR should have made them.

SwarthmoreCy said:
then why not have Sally Mason vote no. Is the U of Ia really in that insecure of position where they would be kicked out? I know they do not bring that much to the table, but they are a founding member.

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
But earlier you said that the BOR should be able to tell Mason how to vote. Get your story straight, old man.

What exactly did you want the BOR to do today?

Even when I agree with you on the actual discussion, your need to be condescending while you are a Hawk fan on a Cyclone board is beyond me.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Swarthmore, I guess I would be instead asking: did President Geoffroy bother to call Sally Mason and ask her to vote no?

Tornado man wrote this ^^^^

If that needs to be asked, then I am lost for words.

You responded thusly, inferring that if Geoffroy had to ask it would leave you speechless.

It just was, and I doubt it.

"It just was" refers to the question that was just asked, which you said would leave you speechless if it needed to be asked. I said I doubt it based on the grandstanding you've been doing over the last few days.
"If that needs to be asked, then I am lost for words."

That = GG needing to ask Sally Mason.

The second part...I would go with your doubt.

Now you're getting it.

Then please explain your post, I seem to be struggling comprehending THH tonight.......GG did not "just" ask Sally Mason to vote no.

Maybe not?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
It isn't like Iowa voting no was going to change anything either. Nebraska was still coming. If this was a case where Mason's vote was the swing vote, I could see that argument. But it wasn't.

Again, not the point. The point is that the BoR has never significantly helped ISU. They don't take us seriously. It has been like that for 30 years so I guess we shouldn't expect it to change now. This will indeed hurt Iowa. They now move down the totem poll another notch. Now you could be nearing the bottom half of the Big Ten.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Again, not the point. The point is that the BoR has never significantly helped ISU. They don't take us seriously. It has been like that for 30 years so I guess we shouldn't expect it to change now. This will indeed hurt Iowa. They now move down the totem poll another notch. Now you could be nearing the bottom half of the Big Ten.

Iowa has typically been a middle of the pack team in the Big 10 for most of my lifetime anyhow, the addition of Nebraska - one game - is not going to change that.

If the BOR has never helped ISU, what could they have done today to change that?

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
This coming from the guy who compared all Iowa fans to date rapists.

as a stereotype when making fun of ISU fans as well. never did I say it seriously.

Also, I'm not on hawkeyenation saying that, am I?

Funniest part is that he has 5+ times as many posts here as you do.

Plus, azn, Iowa fans are more Beebe than rapist. Just completely incompetent.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
I think we need to ask ourselves some basic questions. Not about money but about doing the right thing. Basic questions. Take money out of the equation.

Is Jim Delaney doing the right thing by expanding the Big Ten Conference? Did Sally Mason do the right thing by voting "Yes" to admitting the University of Nebraska into the Big Ten Conference?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Iowa has typically been a middle of the pack team in the Big 10 for most of my lifetime anyhow, the addition of Nebraska - one game - is not going to change that.

If the BOR has never helped ISU, what could they have done today to change that?

That's not what I meant. I meant that Nebraska is ahead of Iowa in the Big Ten. They will be a bigger deal to them.

The second one is a great point. I have no argument. A simple vote would have been a nice gesture though. The Big Ten wouldn't get rid of Iowa. That's ridiculous. There should have been no reason for them to vote yes. Whatever, it doesn't really matter. Hopefully we get to the Big East and do some damage.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Actually you did bring Iowa into this discussion. You stated she was afraid to vote no because Iowa may get booted from the Big Ten. You then went on to say we add nothing to the Big Ten. You were factually refuted but dodged it despite the fact that AD revenue at Iowa is higher than over half of the member institutions of the Big Ten. That's even if you dump the Big Ten TV money. Iowa would be at the bottom of the pile revenue wise if they really offerred nothing.

cohawk,
By nature "Iowa" is brought into the discussion when discussing the role of the BoR in supporting State institutions. However, think of Iowa as a variable; I just could have easily said "School X".

Now, if you are still with me, in my original post I attempted to speed up the discussion by giving a counter to what I anticipated would be resistance to my attention drawing thread title. This was a rebuttal to the claim that the BoR should have stayed out of it the vote did not matter. To refresh your mind, the contention was that if it did not matter, there was no threat to Iowa. Furthermore, reasons why the State of Iowa would be insecure about the repercussion of a no vote- which is in this era of realignment, TV sets is the champion of all. Iowa does not have a lot of TV sets.

You have provided compelling cases why Iowan's should be proud of the Iowa AD, but you have refuted nothing in terms of the opportunity cost Iowa inflicts on the Big 10. . There are Universities out there that could successfully replace Iowa in the Big Ten in terms of revenue generation for the conference. It was successfully refuted that Iowa's position in the Big 10 is not guaranteed based on being a founding member...for which I am appreciative.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron