BoR laughs at ISU

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
For that to be the case, I would have to think that the BOR had any say in her decision. However, that seems to be a leap that only you are willing to make.

As jdogg said, this wasn't a "no" vote to ISU joining the Big 10.

There have times the BoR has felt the need to get involved. Clearly they do not think so, which is why I posted.

Let me state again, my post is not about Sally Mason or U of Ia.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Unanimous decision by Big 10 to take NU. Thanks for the support BoR.

I do not understand how ISU alumni and supporters continue to put up (votes and wallets) with this type of disrespect from the state.

Swarthmore, I guess I would be instead asking: did President Geoffroy bother to call Sally Mason and ask her to vote no?

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
THIS IS ONE ISSUE WE AS IOWA STATE FANS SHOULD NEVER LET DIE!!! SALLY MASON, THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA, THE BOARD OF REGENTS, AND GOVERNOR CULVER, KNOWING THAT THE BIG TEN WOULD ACCEPT NO MORE BIG XII SCHOOLS HAS STATED WITH THE "YES" VOTE TO THE UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA THAT THEIR OWN IN-STATE SCHOOL DOES NOT MATTER DESPITE THE FACT IT WILL COST IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS OVER THE NEXT DECADE AND HURT THE STATE'S OVERALL ECONOMY. THIS IS A THREAD THAT SHOULD BREAK RECORDS IN IT'S LENGTH AND GO ON AS LONG AS CYCLONEFANTIC EXISTS. IF THIS THREAD EVER APPEARS TO BE DYING PLEASE BUMP IT!!!

bump, the lack of action of the bor and state are disgraceful.

sunnysideup

Aug 6, 2009
The Metro
THIS IS ONE ISSUE WE AS IOWA STATE FANS SHOULD NEVER LET DIE!!! SALLY MASON, THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA, THE BOARD OF REGENTS, AND GOVERNOR CULVER, KNOWING THAT THE BIG TEN WOULD ACCEPT NO MORE BIG XII SCHOOLS HAS STATED WITH THE "YES" VOTE TO THE UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA THAT THEIR OWN IN-STATE SCHOOL DOES NOT MATTER DESPITE THE FACT IT WILL COST IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS OVER THE NEXT DECADE AND HURT THE STATE'S OVERALL ECONOMY. THIS IS A THREAD THAT SHOULD BREAK RECORDS IN IT'S LENGTH AND GO ON AS LONG AS CYCLONEFANTIC EXISTS. IF THIS THREAD EVER APPEARS TO BYE DYING PLEASE BUMP IT!!!

Yes, because Culver (who is probably gone in a few months) and the BoR really care that a thread on a college athletics message board is reaching high numbers. Whatever makes you feel better. I'm ****** too but nothing you suggested is going to make an ounce of difference...

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
There have times the BoR has felt the need to get involved. Clearly they do not think so, which is why I posted.

Let me state again, my post is not about Sally Mason or U of Ia.

Which again brings up the point of whether or not the BOR should be able to tell a University president how to vote. Apparently you think they should, even though you fail to understand that a "no" vote from Mason would only have been symbolic.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Good lord, talk about dramatic. What would you suggest the BoR, Gov. Culver, and the U of I do in this situation??

Perhaps Pres. Mason should have voted nyet on Nebby's application, no? I mean, she is technically an employee of the state of Iowa, that being the state that runs both UI and ISU.

isugcs

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 21, 2007
Waverly
Which again brings up the point of whether or not the BOR should be able to tell a University president how to vote. Apparently you think they should, even though you fail to understand that a "no" vote from Mason would only have been symbolic.

If holy UI football was in danger, you bet you *** every Iowa fan would be incensed if the BOR did nothing and could have. Remember, this is karma for UI someday somehow this will bite them. And when it does, I will be there watching it go down in flames :)

vailianator

Jun 3, 2010

I think he does understand that, but wants to argue principal.

Stelrs1995

Apr 17, 2006
Waukee, Iowa
No it doesn't. Nebraska has a state population of somewhere around 1.7 millions. 1.7 million of those people are Nebraska fans who have nothing to do but support Nebraska football. They bring million of dollars to the table where as ISU brings thousands of dollars to the table.

You really think that ALL 1.7 million are Cornhole fans? I would say about half could care less about college sports and quite a few couldn't even find their way to memorial stadium. I know at least 10 people in Omaha that have probably never even watched a college football game, let alone a Neb. one. Of course they are computer geeks but you get my drift....:biglaugh: I do agree that Nebraska has quite a few more fans than ISU but if ISU had the success Nebby has had I bet we would have a stronger following also.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
If holy UI football was in danger, you bet you *** every Iowa fan would be incensed if the BOR did nothing and could have. Remember, this is karma for UI someday somehow this will bite them. And when it does, I will be there watching it go down in flames :)

How is this karma for Iowa? Karma would imply that Iowa has done something wrong in this case, when in reality they're bystanders just like ISU is.

I get that some of you are looking for a fall guy in all of this, but you're not looking far enough South.

vailianator

Jun 3, 2010

Iowa lands about 5th or 6th in the Big Ten every year, in total revenue generated.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids

And what is wrong with symbolism? It isn't like they are going to vote Iowa off of the island for voting no.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
And what is wrong with symbolism? It isn't like they are going to vote Iowa off of the island for voting no.

It isn't like Iowa voting no was going to change anything either. Nebraska was still coming. If this was a case where Mason's vote was the swing vote, I could see that argument. But it wasn't.

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
This is a sad day in the history of college sports in America; and Sally Mason, Gary Barta and the University of Iowa have all been a part of it. They have sent the message that it is all about the money. The spirit of antitrust laws do not matter. It's o.k. to trample on others that have less than you. It is o.k. for tax-exempt charitable orgranizations that are supposed to exist to support student athletes and their best interests can be all about nothing more than money and greed.

Last edited: