BoR laughs at ISU

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Maybe you can answer my question, and WOI sucks bad enough without ISU running them.

But I'll expect the usual bob and weave, insult flinging that is your MO.

Shouldn't you be off pestering the Huskers - your true natural rival? Or did you get banned over there already?

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Wow - people are getting extremely irrational about this - as if Mason actually "no"-voted ISU's application to the Big 10. If she had done that, I could understand being upset at her and the BoR. But Mason's job isn't to hold the Big 12 conference - her job is to do what's best for the U of I and the Big 10 conference. Clearly adding Nebraska is in their best interest, and saying we wouldn't do the same thing if, say, Minnesota wanted to join the Big 12, as a sign of solidarity if the shoe were on the other foot is absolutely hypocritical. Does it suck? Yeah. But this is way blown out of proportion. Until Mason actually votes no to an ISU invite, there's nothing to throw stones over.

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
Wow - people are getting extremely irrational about this - as if Mason actually "no"-voted ISU's application to the Big 10. If she had done that, I could understand being upset at her and the BoR. But Mason's job isn't to hold the Big 12 conference - her job is to do what's best for the U of I and the Big 10 conference. Clearly adding Nebraska is in their best interest, and saying we wouldn't do the same thing if, say, Minnesota wanted to join the Big 12, as a sign of solidarity if the shoe were on the other foot is absolutely hypocritical. Does it suck? Yeah. But this is way blown out of proportion. Until Mason actually votes no to an ISU invite, there's nothing to throw stones over.

Just a note, there is also a vote of the Provost at each school as well. The presidents/chancellors have approved the application, but the provost haven't. Also heard on the teleconference NU will become a member of the CIC.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Maybe you can answer my question, and WOI sucks bad enough without ISU running them.

But I'll expect the usual bob and weave, insult flinging that is your MO.

Sorry THH, it is just a message board.

I thought my comment about the sale of WOI would answer the question, but........never-mind.

a fan

Apr 11, 2006
Has anyone from the BOR said anything? Are they even aware? Do they care? (No)

We will have to go this alone until they find ways to create more negativity (and yes I am being negative and bitter) for ISU. I do not like where this is headed. I want to survive as a reputable academic university that has a good athletic program. I would guess that is not going to happen in either case.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
WTF do the BOR have to do with this? It was a Big Ten vote, not a state of Iowa vote.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
But Mason's job isn't to hold the Big 12 conference - her job is to do what's best for the U of I and the Big 10 conference.
You are right, that is why you will notice I said the BoR laughs at ISU. There is precedent for the BoR to tell Presidents to do something against their wish. If they did, and Sally still voted this way, I have little qualms.

Clearly adding Nebraska is in their best interest, and saying we wouldn't do the same thing if, say, Minnesota wanted to join the Big 12, as a sign of solidarity if the shoe were on the other foot is absolutely hypocritical. Does it suck? Yeah. But this is way blown out of proportion. Until Mason actually votes no to an ISU invite, there's nothing to throw stones over.
Who is saying we would want the state to do the same, given the situation. Do not be so petty. This is not about Iowa. It is about the BoR not doing their role as public servants. Again this is not about Iowa or Sally Mason.

vailianator

Jun 3, 2010
Yes, I agree. Can people stop bringing up Iowa, when the point of this thread was the BoR's lack of support for ISU. Pathetic really.

Glass houses my friend. It was in response to YOUR comparison to Iowa.

Everyone is just looking for someone to point the finger at. What would you suggest the BoR do?

It's BS that ISU is in this position right now, but lashing out at the BoR (and trying to justify ISU's value, by comparisons to Iowa) isn't going to change ****. Jamie Pollard better have his game face on.

Last edited by a moderator:

PGreen ISU '92

Mar 6, 2008
Waukee, IA
THIS IS ONE ISSUE WE AS IOWA STATE FANS SHOULD NEVER LET DIE!!! SALLY MASON, THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA, THE BOARD OF REGENTS, AND GOVERNOR CULVER, KNOWING THAT THE BIG TEN WOULD ACCEPT NO MORE BIG XII SCHOOLS HAS STATED WITH THE "YES" VOTE TO THE UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA THAT THEIR OWN IN-STATE SCHOOL DOES NOT MATTER DESPITE THE FACT IT WILL COST IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS OVER THE NEXT DECADE AND HURT THE STATE'S OVERALL ECONOMY. THIS IS A THREAD THAT SHOULD BREAK RECORDS IN IT'S LENGTH AND GO ON AS LONG AS CYCLONEFANTIC EXISTS. IF THIS THREAD EVER APPEARS TO BE DYING PLEASE BUMP IT!!!

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Glass houses my friend. It was in response to YOUR comparison to Iowa.

Oh really, it was?

Please read my first post. Asking if Iowa is in a vulnerable enough position for a no vote to comprise their inclusion in Big Telly is not comparing Iowa to ISU. In fact, no where in the first post did I mention Iowa in relation to ISU.

I agree though; it is sad some need to justify their position based on ISU's.

vailianator

Jun 3, 2010
THIS IS ONE ISSUE WE AS IOWA STATE FANS SHOULD NEVER LET DIE!!! SALLY MASON, THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA, THE BOARD OF REGENTS, AND GOVERNOR CULVER, KNOWING THAT THE BIG TEN WOULD ACCEPT NO MORE BIG XII SCHOOLS HAS STATED WITH THE "YES" VOTE TO THE UNIVERSITY OF NEBRASKA THAT THEIR OWN IN-STATE SCHOOL DOES NOT MATTER DESPITE THE FACT IT WILL COST IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY TENS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS OVER THE NEXT DECADE AND HURT THE STATE'S OVERALL ECONOMY. THIS IS A THREAD THAT SHOULD BREAK RECORDS IN IT'S LENGTH AND GO ON AS LONG AS CYCLONEFANTIC EXISTS. IF THIS THREAD EVER APPEARS TO BE DYING PLEASE BUMP IT!!!

Good lord, talk about dramatic. What would you suggest the BoR, Gov. Culver, and the U of I do in this situation??

GaryJohnson

Sep 11, 2008
Chicago

Whoa, whoa, whoa, hey there, rational adult - this is no place for logic and maturity. Why don't you take that crap someplace else until you can better learn to react only emotionally with little regard for reality or common sense. That... that... perspective and wisdom is not welcome here.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Good work THH. This is exactly the problem...unless she disobeyed the BoR.

For that to be the case, I would have to think that the BOR had any say in her decision. However, that seems to be a leap that only you are willing to make.

As jdogg said, this wasn't a "no" vote to ISU joining the Big 10.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Good lord, talk about dramatic. What would you suggest the BoR, Gov. Culver, do in this situation??
Simple.
Have UN-l's inclusion in the CIC receive as many votes from the State of Iowa as ISU's inclusion in the CIC.
Given there will not be a poll for ISU's inclusion, an "absent" vote would do.

vailianator

Jun 3, 2010
Oh really, it was?

I agree though; it is sad some need to justify their position based on ISU's.

Yes, it was.

"Then how does it make sense Iowa is living off the gravy train of Big Telly? ISU competes neck-in-neck with Iowa with way less $$. That may not earn respect from tavern-hawks, but it should earn respect from the BoR."

Cat4ISU

Oct 11, 2008
Spencer, IA
What's done is done. We're still going to play someone in football come Fall. I say we just kick everyone's ***

Last edited by a moderator:

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Whoa, whoa, whoa, hey there, rational adult - this is no place for logic and maturity. Why don't you take that crap someplace else until you can better learn to react only emotionally with little regard for reality or common sense. That... that... perspective and wisdom is not welcome here.

HUCAC probably needs to get involved.