BLOG: A great November win

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
I really wish I wasn't awake to read this. But since I am, I have one correction to make. UMKC beat Tennessee-Martin tonight, making them 1-3. DUH.

Edit: also, UMKC has Kyle Korver's brother on their roster, so be afraid. Be very afraid.

Last edited:

sweetiecy

Sep 24, 2009
Ankeny
Great article! Mirrors my thoughts about the great lessons learned by the young guys...they really stepped it up. I think you are spot-on stressing how invaluable the experience of a hard-fought, come from behind road win is; it is mindset that they will carry for the rest of their careers.

Also, I thought that we could see some lessons learned from last year...they were NOT going to let that game go even when calls started to go against them. I imagine they have spent a lot of time talking about that.....there was no panic (a few mistakes by the newbies); Georges "took charge"; and there were minimal signs of "hangover" from some of the strange calls.

It was like: "Well, that sucked...but been there/done that....just have to make sure we put it away." That attitude was obvious even as guys fouled out. Well, it was obvious with the players anyway...not so much with the fans...LOL!

I love this team already....I cannot wait to see how they develop under this great coaching staff. We are in for a fun few months!

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Kenpom's predictions had this as the third toughest game on the schedule behind @ku and @osu.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
I could be wrong (just looking through schedules on cyclones.com), but also i believe this may have been our first road win (and first win against anyone that really counts, unless you count portland state and howard in 05) while ranked since February 21, 2001.

Its as much a testament to how badly the last decade has gone for us as anything, but still i think illustrates how big it was for us to get a win tonight.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I wasn't able to watch....so Ejim flipped off the crowd?

I hope he gets pulled for at least the first half of next game.

Win or not, that's classless.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines

Flipped off the students, who were doing the left right chant as he fouled out. Emotions were running high; Kane had just gotten ejected for accidentally jabbing Mika in the face, and Ejim's 5th foul was ticky tack. I don't blame him at that point; BYU's students were being extremely aggravating, chanting phrases like they were at a middle school basketball game. "That's a fo-ul! clap clap clap-clap-clap". I suppose that's all a part of their home court advantage though.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

Uummm, no. You definitely didn't watch the game. Classless, yes. But he addressed it immediately; then apologized (as any good Canadian would "Soory, eh"). It wasn't a gross flip-off. It was one of those quick, child-like flip-offs. He should not be seated for any part of the game. I trust Freddy to deal with this in a simple conversation as Melvin already feels badly.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Uummm, no. You definitely didn't watch the game. Classless, yes. But he addressed it immediately; then apologized (as any good Canadian would "Soory, eh"). It wasn't a gross flip-off. It was one of those quick, child-like flip-offs. He should not be seated for any part of the game. I trust Freddy to deal with this in a simple conversation as Melvin already feels badly.

I think a half-game suspension would be completely warranted. I'm sure Fred expects more from Melvin than that, hell I'm sure Melvin expects more from himself.

Plus it's UMKC and his knee can use all the rest it can get. :smile:

Thompsonclone

Dec 13, 2008
Ames
Ejim doesn't need to be benched to show him he made a mistake. He knows he made one, he's a smart guy. Everyone just needs to move on from this including Ejim.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu

Yeah, they had a great student section and Melvin reacted to them. Not a huge deal. If Cyclone Alley got an opposing player to do that they'd be thrilled they got into his head.

Jan 9, 2012
Yeah, they had a great student section and Melvin reacted to them. Not a huge deal. If Cyclone Alley got an opposing player to do that they'd be thrilled they got into his head.

And they "got into his head" without using profanity. I hope our Cyclone Alley students took notice of that! It was a great win for the Cyclones!

Last edited:

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
I gotta disagree that this is a "bigger" win than Michigan, it's just not.

I don't care about venue, BYU will probably never play in a national title game, Michigan just did.

The two wins do look good, they go together like peas and carrots.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I gotta disagree that this is a "bigger" win than Michigan, it's just not.

I don't care about venue, BYU will probably never play in a national title game, Michigan just did.

The two wins do look good, they go together like peas and carrots.

Equal in my eyes. Road win in a tough venue, keep the top 25 ranking when we just would have dropped out again, etc. the two wins are precisely what we were missing the last two years to get a better seed for a potential sweet 16 run.

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
It was so huge to win in Provo. They had only lost like 10 or 11 in that building since Rose became the head coach 8 seasons ago.

Some of those losses....all to at-the-time ranked teams: Wake Forest, New Mexico, Baylor, St. Mary's and Gonzaga. Now, add ISU to that list. A very impressive road win against a team that will likely do some damage in their conference.

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton

We definitely got into McGary's head. At the point Ejim let it get to him, it didn't matter anymore. His time on the court was over and he had 21 points in 28 minutes. 43 points in 56 minutes his first two games of the season on the stage of these two games is outstanding. He can do what he wants.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

I agree. Is it a big deal? No, but I think a benching is warranted just to make sure nobody forgets who's boss and what is acceptable.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
And they "got into his head" without using profanity. I hope our Cyclone Alley students took notice of that! It was a great win for the Cyclones!

Were you listening to the game on mute or something? There was lots of profanity coming through.