Billy Gillispe calls Gary Thompson...two others called him as well

linkshero

May 22, 2008
Ames
Why does it seem like all the people against hiring BG as a head coach don't take the time to explain? Other than the fact there must be a lot of Cyclone fans that have never made mistakes...If John Daly could coach and win BB games, I would want him here.

I think BG is a higher risk reward hire, but I believe at this point, it is worth it. I would rather we take a chance on him, than hire GM mid major part II. But I was outraged that Larry was let go, so that could explain a few things. I mean, he could have been given a few months off to get things in order, and maybe he would still be coaching here. It's ISU in Ames, IA people, not Tobacco Road, and not the Vatican.......

Last edited:

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Gary Thompson a big backer of hiring McD in the first place? If that was indeed the case, I'm not so sure I want him highly involved in this lateset coaching search.

I'm not trying to hate on GT, but after the way the GMac era went down, I want to do just about everything differently from last time.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Here's my thing with Billy G. Sure there are the personal issues, but I would trust JP's judgement after an interview regarding whether or not he has dealt with those. Sure he failed at Kentucky, but I think ISU's situation is much more similar to aTm, a program that has a lot of potential to be built into something special, not a program that expects consistent dominance. I really think it's a very good calculated gamble.

I don't really even think he failed at Kentucky - he never really got the chance to prove his worth there. Year 2 was MUCH better than year 1, and it's logical to assume the improvement would have continued if given the chance. It's just Kentucky fan is of the opinion they should never have to wait 3 years for a title run.

linkshero

May 22, 2008
Ames
Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't Gary Thompson a big backer of hiring McD in the first place? If that was indeed the case, I'm not so sure I want him highly involved in this lateset coaching search.

I'm not trying to hate on GT, but after the way the GMac era went down, I want to do just about everything differently from last time.

To be fair, almost everyone was a big backer of hiring McD. The thinking among most sports media was ISU grabbed him 1 year before almost anyone could have. I think it's a stretch to go back and blame any one person for what happened.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
I don't really even think he failed at Kentucky - he never really got the chance to prove his worth there. Year 2 was MUCH better than year 1, and it's logical to assume the improvement would have continued if given the chance. It's just Kentucky fan is of the opinion they should never have to wait 3 years for a title run.

He made the NCAA tournament his first year. He made the NIT his second year.

Spam

May 21, 2008
I said this in another thread- but I don't think Gary Thompson is involved in the search process this time. He seems to be talking a lot about candidates both in public and to the press- something atypical of those involved in searches under JP.

azn4cy

Dec 27, 2008
DSM
College Station has less of a party atmosphere than Ames. Well, it's more straight laced anyways.

I will take your word for it, but to be fair, you're an Ames homer. I recall you arguing about IC women vs Ames women.... :wink:

Three4Cy

Jan 19, 2010
West Des Moines
From what I heard this morning, Jeff Bergstrom was a graduate assistant/manager for Billy his last year at Kentucky. We know the Bergstrom family are big donors to the college and this is how Billy got in touch with Gary Thompson.

I was skeptical of this possibility, but the more I hear it, the more I like it. Billy would bring the "buzz" back to ISU men's basketball. He wouldn't have near the pressure he had at Kentucky, and would be given more than two years to produce results. I'd take his record from Kentucky any day of the week over our record over the past four years.