Bill Self on Fred Hoiberg

twistedredbird

Apr 26, 2008
Midwest
thought his comment about Fred's short clock experience in the NBA relating to understanding how to take advantage of mismatches was pretty interesting. I hadn't really thought of it that way, but it does make sense.

ChiefCy

Aug 4, 2008
I've always really liked Bill Self. Always hated losing to Kansas, but the only reason you hate a team is because they win all the time and are hard to beat (got old losing to them especially the close games until last season). He's a great great guy for the Big 12 and I hope he stays at Kansas until he retires.

Not half as much as Kansas hated losing those 5 straight games io Iowa State.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Roy Williams at KU = hate
Bill Self at KU = tried to hate him for the first four years or so but just can't. He's a solid coach, and not of the cheesy "ole Roy" BS-type stuff.
KU hype = hate
KU fans = strongly dislike most of them
losing to KU = hate

[video=youtube;qy_ZANVFteU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=qy_ZANVFteU&feature=fvwp[/video]

nj829

Mar 18, 2006
Northwest Arkansas
Of course Bill praised GMAC, he knew that with the right coach ISU can be a beast in the big 12. Now we have the right coach, and are again becoming a beast in the big 12.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I do not care for Bill Self. It is impossible for me to like anyone who coaches for Kansas. I am not one to be nasty, but it is just physically impossible for me. I don't feel the same way about any other team in the Big 12 although Texas is close.

GoCubsGo

Jul 22, 2008
All of the other Big 12 coaches loved GMac and said what a great job he was doing. That should tell you all you need to know about comments like this - they don't mean anything.

Oct 10, 2012
Des Moines
Interesting how the last 3 coaches at Illinois: Kruger, Self, and Weber are all now head coaches in the B12.

Very good coaches in the league. Those 3 have impressive resumes. IDK if Weber will be able to recruit to Manhattan anywhere near like Martin and Huggie did...but the pieces he has right now are of a top 10 team Spradling Hernandez McGruder Gipson and the other big kid is a great starting 5. The wackjob who just left Lubbock was good as well in his day. Scott Drew splashes the cash more than anyone in the game so he can't suck. Huggie is a good coach and Travis Ford is an excellent coach. Trent Johnson was great at Stanford and Nevada (LSU maybe not) he is no scrub.

The worst one is either Gillespies replacement or Barnes.

Reactions: CyDude16

Guetterdone1

Jul 4, 2012
Ames
Well he can't come coach in Ames!
If we didn't have Fred I would easily take Self as my coach. He's a great mind that has proven that he can win year in and out with talent that isn't as good as it has been in the past. Fred is easily #1 though

Guetterdone1

Jul 4, 2012
Ames
Very good coaches in the league. Those 3 have impressive resumes. IDK if Weber will be able to recruit to Manhattan anywhere near like Martin and Huggie did...but the pieces he has right now are of a top 10 team Spradling Hernandez McGruder Gipson and the other big kid is a great starting 5. The wackjob who just left Lubbock was good as well in his day. Scott Drew splashes the cash more than anyone in the game so he can't suck. Huggie is a good coach and Travis Ford is an excellent coach. Trent Johnson was great at Stanford and Nevada (LSU maybe not) he is no scrub.

The worst one is either Gillespies replacement or Barnes.
If we're talking strictly coaching Scott Drew stands on top of that pedestal all on his own. Barnes is the closest, but he's been devastated by the draft.

Help Support Us

Become a patron