Biggest NFL Busts Last 5-10 Years

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
You can't call him a bust, underwhelming for draft position, sure, but Jacksonville.
That's valid. I just think for what type of hype he came in with, the expectation that he was going to be dominant because of his size and style, and the fact that he was taken so high for a RB makes the bar a lot higher for him than others.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
To me, if you're going to add the superlative "biggest" to the bust term, you have to be talking about guys that were taken in the first half of the first round, if not the top ten. The hit rate for first round picks is about 50% so taking a guy like Paxton Lynch with the 26th pick, while still a bust, isn't going to make my list of biggest busts, because his draft position was probably inflated due to his position as a QB. He was a risk from the beginning, is what I'm saying. And putting him on the list with a guy like Josh Rosen isn't really fair, because Rosen was considered much more of a sure thing.

To me, in the last 10 years, it's guys like
Rosen
Sam Darnold
Clelin Ferrell
Morris Claiborne
Dion Jordan

Others to be sure, but those guys stick out to me
I'd even argue top 5 or 3 so you can consider them all. If you were that high and didn't last 8 years with some success, you're a bust.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Can a running back even be a bust anymore if none of them are worth a first round pick? Are there other positions like that?

I'm more of an NBA fan but I wouldn't think guys outside the top 10 in the NBA draft are even capable of being a bust. And I'd say second round of NFL is comparable to outside top 10 of NBA.

Carlisle Clone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 2, 2019
You're going off a sample of two QBs drafted inside the first 3 rounds in the last 25 years.

Haskins was drafted 15th and Fields 11th. The fact they weren't top 10 picks means people already had identified some reason not to take them.

I won't be surprised if Stroud ends up being a serviceable-to-good NFL QB.

No im not. Just speaking in general. Name me a great, or even good for that matter, NFL QB that played at Ohio St or USC. (outside of Carson Palmer)

The bolded above is obvious or they would have been picked higher.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Forgot about Roberto Aguayo - from possibly greatest college kicker of all time to one of the worst NFL kickers. Left college a year early, went in 2nd round - crazy for a kicker, and only made it 1 year in the NFL with the worst field goal % in the league.

I mean, that is almost impossible to explain. It's not like the players around him make the difference - the goal posts don't move.

Kickers have that thing that if they get into their own heads they are done. Like Chuck Knoblock and Rick Ankiel in baseball. Chuck could not throw the ball from second base to first base. Rick would throw the ball all over the place. Agueyo was the most money kicker ever in college. Could not get his head straight in the NFL. I am a Packers fan and Mason Crosby went through a case of the brain fart stuff a few years ago and came out of it.

Biggest busts have to be anyone the Bears draft. They can't get it right.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I'm more of an NBA fan but I wouldn't think guys outside the top 10 in the NBA draft are even capable of being a bust. And I'd say second round of NFL is comparable to outside top 10 of NBA.
Royce White was 16th and there is no question he was a bust.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
No im not. Just speaking in general. Name me a great, or even good for that matter, NFL QB that played at Ohio St or USC. (outside of Carson Palmer)

If you are grading a player for the draft in the future will you downgrade them because their jersey said OSU or USC?

laminak

Jun 13, 2010
Marion
Recently he sure is up there. The Bears passed up on a lot of solid players in that draft other than QB but they could have taken Mahomes or Watson (obviously has issues now) and their outlook now could be a lot different.

What made that worse is that the Bears had the #3 pick in that draft, traded up to #2. They could/should have sat at #3 and got any good QB or another player.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

True. But quarterback in the NFL is such a different beast. It's very difficult to predict who will succeed and who won't.

Outside of Tua and Mac Jones (who both still have their questions) who was the last Alabama quarterback to be great in the NFL? Or Michigan? (Brady is still in the league, but it's been a long, long time since he was drafted.)

What I'm getting at is that it's easy to point at Ohio State and say "Oh, their QBs are overrated, and never make it in the NFL" but the truth of the matter is that nobody's figured out that formula. The school's success is getting their guy drafted and drafted high. If they're doing that, they're fulfilling their end of the bargain. Beyond that, it's on the player and the team that drafts him

Reactions: PSYclone22

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Read the thread title as Biggest NFL BuTTs, opened thread, great disappointment.

So I will leave y’all with this:
q9gocpn3uyo51.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Jer

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Basically just search the Raiders recent draft history:

Ruggs- Jail
Damon Arnette-- Out of the League
Alex Leatherwood-- Released after his rookie year

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
True. But quarterback in the NFL is such a different beast. It's very difficult to predict who will succeed and who won't.

Outside of Tua and Mac Jones (who both still have their questions) who was the last Alabama quarterback to be great in the NFL? Or Michigan? (Brady is still in the league, but it's been a long, long time since he was drafted.)

What I'm getting at is that it's easy to point at Ohio State and say "Oh, their QBs are overrated, and never make it in the NFL" but the truth of the matter is that nobody's figured out that formula. The school's success is getting their guy drafted and drafted high. If they're doing that, they're fulfilling their end of the bargain. Beyond that, it's on the player and the team that drafts him
Oklahoma has more qbs than anyone. A few schools with 2 currently, including Alabama.

Reactions: Carlisle Clone

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Basically just search the Raiders recent draft history:

Ruggs- Jail
Damon Arnette-- Out of the League
Alex Leatherwood-- Released after his rookie year
Clelin Ferrell. 3rd round grade that they took 4th overall.

Spot rotation piece that they've declined the 5th year option on.

Mayock should have stuck to being really good at TV...

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
In the last 12 years:

Jake Locker (drafted number 8)
Christian Ponder (drafted number 11)
Manti Te'o (watch the documentary if you haven't. It's very well done. I feel horrible for the dude because that catfishing scandal ruined him mentally and he never recovered.)
Blake Bortles
Manziel
Trubisky
Daniel Jones

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
Oklahoma has more qbs than anyone. A few schools with 2 currently, including Alabama.
Who are we counting Hurts for here?

And is Mayfield a great QB?

As Janny noted, nobody has consistently produced great QBs.

There are 40 QBs who have earned All-Pro honors and the most for one school is probably 3.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron