Bigger issue with DeJean-Jones

Status
Not open for further replies.

schlepp571

Dec 21, 2013
Ames
60dB is equivalent to an office conversation or moderate background music. dB level is a log10 function so each additional dB is not linear. 50dB is equivalent to a normal conversation with no background noise. I have a decibel meter, so for gigs, I measured my TV speakers while I'm sitting at around 14'. I'm at 63dB from my TV while listening to the podcast through my headphones. I have to remove the headphones to make it out. Bass is the issue. Sub frequencies vary from around 30Hz to 240Hz. Most of which will blast right through the paper mache walls out in Fountain View. I understand the complaint. I have a neighbor over 200 feet away that plays the bass. All I hear is boom boom bah boom boom boom. I, however, have never called the cops on the poor guy. Bass is tough to realize the level and distance traveled.

Last edited:

mitya51

Oct 9, 2012
it's probably just a PR thing. that's why the decision is lame. the whole 'teach a kid a lifelesson' 'send a message' is BS

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
The only issue BDJ has is his POS neighbor. What kind of garbage calls the cops on their neighbor, especially 12 times??? Men solve problems face to face, little girls hide in their room and call the cops.

How do you know he didn't try to solve the problem face to face. No need to call his neighbor out for wanting him to have a little respect at 3:00 in the morning in the middle of the week.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
it's probably just a PR thing. that's why the decision is lame. the whole 'teach a kid a lifelesson' 'send a message' is BS

If he went against some agreement he had with the staff, what choice did CFH have? You cannot have players breaking rules with no punishment.

Redman97

Jul 31, 2011
Iowa City
The only issue BDJ has is his POS neighbor. What kind of garbage calls the cops on their neighbor, especially 12 times??? Men solve problems face to face, little girls hide in their room and call the cops.

What kind of neighbor can't bring himself to be quiet at 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning?

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
So, this may be unpopular to those of you who only care about this guy scoring points and playing basketball but oh well. I can't get behind this guy at this point. Can he play ball, yes. But my impression of him has been as a selfish person. Watching him play is sometimes irritating as he seems more me first than anyone else. Hearing that he has had the cops called on him multiple times for playing loud music and annoying his neighbors is just more of the same.

Yes, Fred had a talk with him apparently and his game got more team friendly. But apparently Fred was also called in to meet with BDJ and the cops. To me, that is ridiculous, childish, and disrespectful.

I hope this is the thing that makes him realize he's got a heck of an opportunity not just at ISU playing basketball, but in life.

To be clear, I don't think these charges are a big deal. It's the overall picture he's creating. The fact that he's apparently an ongoing nuisance to his neighbors, the cops, and the fact that his coach has to babysit him. That annoys me.

I wonder how many times the cops have been called on Niang for annoying his neighbors or how many times they were called on Fred in his days as a student. In fact, compare him to any of our "troubled transfers". There is more to it than scoring points on the floor to get the respect of the fan base. Being a gifted athlete only goes so far.

He's a "selfish person" because he's had cops called before for loud music? Then what would you call players who drive a car when they are drunk putting other people's lives at stake? Based on your so-called logic, Thomas and Nader should have been kicked off he team long ago for their OWI's.

Oh yeah, he's so selfish on the court that he's third on the team in assists. His selfishness has also resulted in him leading the team in rebounding. Anyone who has played basketball knows that rebounding takes a lot of effort and determination, not exactly the hallmarks of selfish players.

Dingus

May 23, 2013

Maybe all the complaints were valid, but it's pretty lame how many of those complaints are of the 'police responded to a noise complaint and no noise violations were found or heard no voices or music from the apartment' variety.

Quite possible they are being loud, obnoxious neighbors, but also possible the neighbor just has an issue with them and calls the police at every opportunity.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I mentioned it in another thread, but I wonder how they handle noise complaints in the KU Basketball luxury hotel they built last year. Is it even allowed to complain about the players by the chosen few who get to live in the mansion with them?

Jambalaya

May 29, 2008
I can't get behind this guy at this point. Can he play ball, yes. But my impression of him has been as a selfish person.

yea, Hitting 17 of 20 fg's in the last two games is selfish.

85% of his fg's....in a variety of ways--layups, dunks, ally-oops, 3's

We can't have these selfish players here

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
Haha I do what I can.

Also, a lot of people are confusing 60 decibel sound measured in the hallway with the players' apartment making only 60 decibels of noise.

If it was 3 am and I could hear someone's music in my bed as loud as someone having a conversation with me or an air conditioner in my own apartment, that is much different than hearing the amount of noise that comes from an air conditioner or people talking loudly in the apartment next to me through the walls.

Not sure about others, but I understand the 60dB...and still think it's pretty tight. Keep in mind, this is measured in the hallway of an apartment complex, and the sound equivalent is people talking...so...two people walking down the hallway at 3 AM having a normal conversation is 60 dB, perfectly fine. The same noise level in the same location is illegal because it's coming thru a door? Just don't agree with it.

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009
I really am irritated about this situation as much as you, but I'm even more irritated about your post. Not because you feel he apparently has behaviors off the court that need to be corrected, but for your criticism of his play. Everyone in the Maryland game was trying to make a play when the offense struggled, not just BDJ. What I've seen from him most games is a guy who has gone out of his way to play within the system and share the ball, etc. Think about this.... He has shot around 80% for two straight games, one time scoring 27 pts. on 8/8 shooting. Are you kidding me? If he really was selfish, as hot as he was he could have put up 40 that night. And he only takes 8 shots! 8 shots!
I happen to know someone who has worked with or dealt with BDJ and he has told me on numerous occasions how nice, thankful, friendly, and nice he was. And, no, I'm not saying that because I happen to like watching him play. Obviously, this situation stinks and it eludes to a 22 yr.old that makes bad decisions when partying. Not condoning it one bit and I'm glad Fred suspended him. But I really don't think your blanket coverage of the whole person and his basketball play, much less accusing the fan base of not thinking clearly due that he was an athlete, was warranted in this case. Just my opinion.

Again, fair response. My court criticism may not be warranted nor correct, just an opinion. The rest of the criticism however, is valid.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
yea, Hitting 17 of 20 fg's in the last two games is selfish.

85% of his fg's....in a variety of ways--layups, dunks, ally-oops, 3's

We can't have these selfish players here

The OP is trying to break off some hard truth to the morally unwashed...here's some hard truth for the OP.

If you don't like watching or cheering for BDJ you better just quit watching sports. There are plenty of self centered athletes even in high school sports, and especially elite college and pros. Lots of these self centered jerks don't share the ball or play anywhere near as efficiently as BDJ has this year for ISU.

He has to follow the laws of the federal, state and local government like the rest of us, beyond that if you need every Cyclone or every Hawkeye or every Valley High player or every Chicago Bear to be a nice guy, stop watching sports.

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
Not sure about others, but I understand the 60dB...and still think it's pretty tight. Keep in mind, this is measured in the hallway of an apartment complex, and the sound equivalent is people talking...so...two people walking down the hallway at 3 AM having a normal conversation is 60 dB, perfectly fine. The same noise level in the same location is illegal because it's coming thru a door? Just don't agree with it.

I get it too. And people keep on about it being a "normal conversation" - at 3 feet. Thing is - it does depend where the reading was taken at. If it's 3 AM and a neighbor is making noise the equivalent of a conversation in my bedroom, I'd have a problem too.

People are making it out that they were just having a normal conversation in their apt. They were making enough noise to be having conversations in surrounding apartments it would seem.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
So what? He acted like a dbag, who hasn't? If we go to the final four everyone will love him. He's a cyclone, so I love the guy. End of story.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
People act like he murdered someone. He smoked a little pot and got in a tiff with his neighbor.

00clone

Apr 12, 2011
Iowa City area
I get it too. And people keep on about it being a "normal conversation" - at 3 feet. Thing is - it does depend where the reading was taken at. If it's 3 AM and a neighbor is making noise the equivalent of a conversation in my bedroom, I'd have a problem too.

People are making it out that they were just having a normal conversation in their apt. They were making enough noise to be having conversations in surrounding apartments it would seem.

No, that's not what I am saying at all...really, read what I said. The reading, by law, is taken in the hallway. I don't care what happens in your bedroom anytime, but not here either, because that's not the law. It seems dumb to me that 2 people having a conversation in the hallway is the same dB as what they got coming thru the door of the apartment into the hallway, but one is fine, the other is not...unless you're going to tell me that people having a conversation in the hallway is now illegal. And yes, I realize that the noise they'd have to be making would be much louder than that in their apartment, but essentially, if the conversation is legal and the noise coming out of their apartment is not, the legality is strictly hinged on whether it's coming thru a door or not. "well, cap'n, we read 60 dB in the hallway, should we ticket someone?" "Depends...is there a door involved?"

oldwiseman

Oct 10, 2009

The guy who called the cops is no chump. Former ISU wrestler. It's not like some dork playing games on his computer hiding from confrontation here. He shouldn't have to constantly deal with crap from his neighbor no matter who it is.

Matt White

Compiled a career prep record of 157-20... Four-time first team all-conference member... Three-time all-conference academic honoree... Four-time state qualifier finishing sixth as a sophomore at 130, fifth as a junior at 130, and fifth as a senior at 135 ... Was coached in high school by Dave Wengen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron