Big men at iowa state...

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Well, except for the fact that all the bigs do is stand out on the perimeter and hand the ball off or pass it.
That's what Conditt and Jones do because they don't have the ability to turn, put the ball on the floor, and drive to the hoop. They also can't pop out to shoot. The offense could be so much more with just some versatility at the position.

Reactions: CyCloned

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I see a lot of potential in Rob Jones......I see the issues, also, but I think they are fixable. His up close misses are either from not being aware of where he is in relation to the basket, or not finishing strong enough to draw the foul......a coach can work with those things. He has had some great games this season, he is always working hard, and he is more aggressive than Conditt.
Even though he missed that "bunny" last night it was preceded by an awesome pass to Hunter for the score, a hard fought defensive rebound and an offensive rebound. Also a lot of Brockington's and Hunter's rebounds are made possible because he has his guy blocked out.
I don't see any potential with Jones. He is what he is.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Not to mention look at the stats in the Big 12. Look at leading scorers and even rebounders. The league is pretty much all guards and Williams from TTU. Williams is a first team guy, but after that there's a huge dropoff. If you're talking about who the best 10-15 guys are in the league, they are all guards except one.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
Looks like he speeds a decent amount and they served a search warrant back in June 2021.
Yeah, that is the last thing I remember is the search warrant but then I didn't ever see him charged with anything.

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
I will repeat what I said a few weeks ago. Conditt is the most underrated player on the team and maybe in the Big 12. He is 6th on the team in minutes per game (19.2), but look where he rates in terms of key team stats:

PPG 5.1. - 7th (virtually tied for 6th)
RPG 3.9 - 2nd
APG 2.0 - 2nd
BPG 0.9 - 1st
TO 1.3 - 3rd lowest among top 6 in MPG
FG% 66% - 1st by a mile

Hayes30

Jun 20, 2011
I will repeat what I said a few weeks ago. Conditt is the most underrated player on the team and maybe in the Big 12. He is 6th on the team in minutes per game (19.2), but look where he rates in terms of key team stats:

PPG 5.1. - 7th (virtually tied for 6th)
RPG 3.9 - 2nd
APG 2.0 - 2nd
BPG 0.9 - 1st
TO 1.3 - 3rd lowest among top 6 in MPG
FG% 66% - 1st by a mile
BuT hE fOuLs To MuCh

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Bart Torvik classifies them as...

Ejim = "Wing F" "PF/C"
Hogue = "Wing F"
Niang = "Wing G" and "Wing F"

I guess it depends on if you want to focus on the "forward" part or the "wing" part.

I consider them essentially big men, though, unless the OP meant only true centers.
Then Torvik is an idiot. Ejim was a wing that played small ball 4.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
They have a better big12 record than us...
And they are a completely guard dominant team. Those big guys for K State you are dreaming about aren't very good.

Their top four bigs combine to average 16.1 and 9.4
For comparison, Conditt, Enaruna, Kunz and Jones combine to average 19.7 and 13.2

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

cyclonehomer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2019
I see a lot of potential in Rob Jones......I see the issues, also, but I think they are fixable. His up close misses are either from not being aware of where he is in relation to the basket, or not finishing strong enough to draw the foul......a coach can work with those things. He has had some great games this season, he is always working hard, and he is more aggressive than Conditt.
Even though he missed that "bunny" last night it was preceded by an awesome pass to Hunter for the score, a hard fought defensive rebound and an offensive rebound. Also a lot of Brockington's and Hunter's rebounds are made possible because he has his guy blocked out.
I love Rob's effort and appreciate how hard he works out there, but his numbers are really bad this year, far worse than Conditt's in most areas.

Neither guy has taken a 3 (not surprising) but George is shooting 66% from the field on the year on more shots than Rob at 43%. True shooting numbers (which account for 3's and free throws) George leads the team with 67%. It's pretty common that a center will do so, so that's not shocking. But Rob is at 41% which is hard to fathom given how close his attempts come. Only Kalscheur is close to Rob in this respect at 43%, and Gabe takes a lot more shots from distance. George is also making free throws at almost twice the rate on not quite double the attempts, Conditt at 66% on 47 attempts, Jones at 34.5% on 29. You are correct that Rob seems a bit more aggressive looking for his shot, as he does take shots at a slightly higher rate than George.

Now, Rob does compete hard on the boards, and has a higher defensive rebounding rate than George, but George has higher rates on offense and combined. George does turn the ball over more frequently, but he also has a much higher assist rate. Defensively, they have almost exactly the same block and steal rates.

As for stats that attempt to measure overall performance, take these with a grain of salt. It's very hard, if not impossible, to quantify what "good defense" is. So these will do a better job of showing the impact on offense and attempt to for defense, but I don't think they do a great job on that end. George is one of 4 players who have played all year on the roster with a Player Efficiency Rate above average (average is always exactly 15). Brockington is unsurprisingly leading the team in this metric at 20.8, with George in second at 17.6. Rob is at 8.7, beating out only Gabe. Win Shares is another attempt at the same thing, as is BPM. Both have George as a far superior option, but again, these are weighted towards the offensive end.

I guess I just don't see the two as that far apart on the defensive end, and George has been much, much better on offense this year.

(all stats come from here, and I believe the site does have breakdowns for how everything is calcutlated)

• Informative
Reactions: StLouisClone

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Don’t be fooled. Something is going on behind the scenes that should make everyone concerned.

200w.gif

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Is he better this year than last year? Hes still fouling at an alarming level, hes still making horrible passes, and he isnt scoring or blocking shots.

Is that a serious question? He's better in every category.

But just think about this:

Last year he had 7 assists, 28 turnovers and 6 steals on the season
This year he has 53 assists, 35 turnovers and 13 steals (in more games and more minutes)

(his FG% went from 40% to 66% too)

So, yeah, he's better, but it's understandable to forget just how horrid he and the team were last year

twincyties

Dec 12, 2009
I think he's a good passer when the opportunities are there. In addition to him sometimes being too far from the basket, I also think sometimes he just doesn't have any idea what to do with the ball if the main passing options aren't there for him. That's where a lot of his turnovers have come, when teams stop the first couple options and he waits too long or has to try to do something with the ball.
This is what happens when you put a big on the high post that can’t shoot or drive. They crowd him because he’s one dimensional. It’s kind of unfair to George to be honest. Unless the defense falls asleep on a back cut all you get is that curl or handoff. And when you take don’t have to respect shooters or Brockingtons right hand you can realy jam things up defensively. So Criticism of George should be tempered accordingly.

Someone like Jacobsen would have been much more effective in that spot.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
Is that a serious question? He's better in every category.

But just think about this:

Last year he had 7 assists, 28 turnovers and 6 steals on the season
This year he has 53 assists, 35 turnovers and 13 steals (in more games and more minutes)

(his FG% went from 40% to 66% too)

So, yeah, he's better, but it's understandable to forget just how horrid he and the team were last year
Yeah I think he's been a serviceable big man as long as he doesn't pick up a couple cheap fouls

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
1) Conditt is having a great year, and it warms my heart to see him have success here. The dude has earned it.
2) Basketball has changed. Pace and space and the 3pt revolution has really devalued the traditional big. I’d rather have the versatility of a bunch of long, athletic wings. In my mind, the best way to defend against a dude like Lampkin is to run him off the floor.
3) The post-up game is dead. It’s physically demanding, takes time to learn, and everyone would rather shoot 3s. In the era of no-middle defenses, it’s also really effective… at creating live-ball turnovers.
4) Everyone complaining about where the 5 initiates offense: given the make-up of this team, what would you prefer? There aren’t enough dangerous shooters to spread the defense, and we don’t have playmakers that can consistently beat their man one-on-one. A big in the dunkers spot puts a help defender at the rim. Defender will drop on the high screen because the 5 isn’t a threat to drive or shoot. I don’t always love the offense, but I think it’s the best way to maximize ISU’s skill set, and I think they’ve continued to add wrinkles (dribble hand-off vs. being stationary) throughout the year.

• Agree
Reactions: Bubba Hubba

Help Support Us

Become a patron