Big men at iowa state...

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Condit is doing what he is supposed to do. Jones is not a capable high D1 big man. He is good for 5 fouls and is the best available we have.

I think we will get a good big man this off season in the portal. Maybe not a world beater but if we could replace Conditt with a Conditt level player when he gets fouls so quick. We would be ok if our guards make shots. Guards making shots is huge for us with what we have under the basket. We also don't have a Power 4 available either. Just a stretch 4 with Jaz.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Condit is doing what he is supposed to do. Jones is not a capable high D1 big man. He is good for 5 fouls and is the best available we have.

I think we will get a good big man this off season in the portal. Maybe not a world beater but if we could replace Conditt with a Conditt level player when he gets fouls so quick. We would be ok if our guards make shots. Guards making shots is huge for us with what we have under the basket. We also don't have a Power 4 available either. Just a stretch 4 with Jaz.

Do people expect Conditt not to take his covid year? He's one I'd expect to be back (with no inside info)

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Do people expect Conditt not to take his covid year? He's one I'd expect to be back (with no inside info)

I expect him to take it. However, we still need a more capable backup than Jones so when Conditt gets in foul trouble, we have a guy that is just as capable as Conditt if not better.

• Agree
Reactions: bawbie

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Bart Torvik classifies them as...

Ejim = "Wing F" "PF/C"
Hogue = "Wing F"
Niang = "Wing G" and "Wing F"

I guess it depends on if you want to focus on the "forward" part or the "wing" part.

I consider them essentially big men, though, unless the OP meant only true centers.
Ejim was recruited as a pg if memory serves

• Disagree
Reactions: Pat

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Sigh. I remember in the Floyd days, he told Cato something to the extent of "dunk every time." I think his philosophy was you'll make the bucket and draw a foul or just draw a foul. Shrug - I'm not as well versed as many here, but I'd rather see an attempt at a dunk than missing the bunny all the time. Again, maybe we don't have the personnel to do that, but...

Neither Bob Jones or George are near the athlete Cato was. They can’t dunk in traffic

GetAwesome

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 29, 2010
Cedar Falls, IA
Neither Bob Jones or George are near the athlete Cato was. They can’t dunk in traffic

I'll admit I cannot speak from experience (I'll never be able to dunk in my lifetime), but it's still baffling how anybody 6'9" or taller somehow needs to be any type of supreme athlete to just attempt to dunk every time they are within a foot of the basket. I know I'm missing something, because the lack of these dunk attempts is common throughout the game, but still, just f*ck someone up every time you are next to the rim and are super tall. To not do so is a slap in the face of all shorties.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
I'll admit I cannot speak from experience (I'll never be able to dunk in my lifetime), but it's still baffling how anybody 6'9" or taller somehow needs to be any type of supreme athlete to just attempt to dunk every time they are within a foot of the basket. I know I'm missing something, because the lack of these dunk attempts is common throughout the game, but still, just f*ck someone up every time you are next to the rim and are super tall. To not do so is a slap in the face of all shorties.

You need the explosiveness and strength to go through someone, Cato had that, these guys don’t.

• Winner
Reactions: isucy86

Pat

Oct 20, 2011

It’s a lot harder when you have to go through at least one other super tall dude who is trying to stop you, hurt you, or both.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
he’s averaging the most fouls per game of his career and is 2nd in the big 12 in overall fouls. How’s that cutting down?
George's fouls were way up at the beginning of the season as he learned that the team was expected to play defense and his enthusiasm often got the best of him.
In the first 9 games George had 35 fouls in 173 minutes of playing time.
That is a foul every 4.94 minutes on the floor.
In the middle 9 games he had 27 fouls in 165 minutes of action.
That is a foul every 6.11 minutes.
In the last 8 games he has had 15 fouls in 160 minutes of playing time.
That is a foul every 10.67 minutes.

His fouling problem has gotten progressively better as the season has worn on.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Yes I remember the 2 6'6" guys and the 1 6'7" guy. I am talking 6'9" and up, we never get them.

We need both!!

This year's team has 1 player in the 6'5" - 6'7" range & that is Jaden Walker. Next year we add Tre King & Watson. Never hurts to have taller wings who can take the ball to the rim, make jumpers and rebound.

But yea we need an athletic big that can be a McKay/Cato type rim protector. Hopefully, he has some toughness and attitude as well.

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
George's fouls were way up at the beginning of the season as he learned that the team was expected to play defense and his enthusiasm often got the best of him.
In the first 9 games George had 35 fouls in 173 minutes of playing time.
That is a foul every 4.94 minutes on the floor.
In the middle 9 games he had 27 fouls in 165 minutes of action.
That is a foul every 6.11 minutes.
In the last 8 games he has had 15 fouls in 160 minutes of playing time.
That is a foul every 10.67 minutes.

His fouling problem has gotten progressively better as the season has worn on.

Good breakdown

• Friendly
Reactions: VeloClone

BigD

Mar 12, 2014
We need to get back to the good old days like when we had Brad Dudek and David Moss on the same team. Deadly duo.

• Haha
Reactions: cyclones500

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I really don't think Conditt is the problem with our offense. I still maintain I'd rather have him in than not.

If even one of our guards could shoot over 35% from beyond the arc, we'd still be a ranked team.

• Winner
Reactions: NWICY and Cyrealist

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I really don't think Conditt is the problem with our offense. I still maintain I'd rather have him in than not.

If even one of our guards could shoot over 35% from beyond the arc, we'd still be a ranked team.
Jaz is a good shooter from beyond the arc. We need teams to fear him taking that shot. He passes up way too many wide open looks from distance. We need scoring; our best 3 point shooter needs to take his open looks.

He is shooting over 43% on the season.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron