Big east story

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This really would have been a nice option. The boards that were linked here really sounded excited about what our four schools (and we were mentioned in some pretty good ways) would bring to the table in both football and MBB.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Would have been a much better option than the MWC for sure...and you'd be crazy to deny that.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Finally, everyone (Perrault, Keeler, and 90% of Iowa fans- I'm looking at you) that was salivating how ISU had no options and was doomed to the MAC can shut the **** up.

I would have been very excited about this had the Big 12 disintegrated.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Finally, everyone (Perrault, Keeler, and 90% of Iowa fans- I'm looking at you) that was salivating how ISU had no options and was doomed to the MAC can shut the **** up.

I would have been very excited about this had the Big 12 disintegrated.

The day it looked to be happening (i.e. the day Nebraska and Colorado left), I was very excited about this. If nothing else, we were going to land in a major conference, and we had the chance to make that conference better in at least one sport.

CyForPresident

Mar 28, 2006
Cornlands of Ayuxwa
I actually prefer the Big East to our current situation. Sure, ISU gets more money, but we do not fit in at all with the south teams. The Big East would have been a closer fit to ISU.

When the B12 does disappear, I hope the Big East is still around at 8 teams to catch the 4 North teams.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
imho, would be a better deal than kicking our butts kicked year in and year out by the TX OK juggernaut. if you doubt me, take a look at the odds in the other thread.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
I actually prefer the Big East to our current situation. Sure, ISU gets more money, but we do not fit in at all with the south teams. The Big East would have been a closer fit to ISU.

When the B12 does disappear, I hope the Big East is still around at 8 teams to catch the 4 North teams.

Me, too. I look at the next few years as our chance to build and position ourselves to be a good catch for whoever comes next when this blows up again. I wouldn't be surprised for the Big East to be a real strong option for us.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
I would hope that this remains the contingency plan if we are in dire straights again. I would prefer to be in the Big East also.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
If the Big 12 were in trouble in the near future (and I honestly don't think it will be. Where's Texas going?), this would be an excellent contingency plan.

This would be like being married to a 9 out of 10, with an 8 waiting in the wings, just in case she walks out on you.

But I don't think that we fit in with the Big East schools anymore than the Big 12 South. Actually, I'd say we fit in much more with schools like Okie State, TTU, and A&M than we do anyone in the Big East. Is there even an Ag school in that conference?

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois

Yep, I was loving the Big East option. I was actually hoping we would go there.

jsmith86

Dec 5, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Yep, I was loving the Big East option. I was actually hoping we would go there.

I sorta still hope we go there. It most definitely beats playing OU and Tejas every year. Plus looking at the teams that play football, no way we don't finish in the top third of the conference every year if we had went there.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
If the Big 12 were in trouble in the near future (and I honestly don't think it will be. Where's Texas going?), this would be an excellent contingency plan.

This would be like being married to a 9 out of 10, with an 8 waiting in the wings, just in case she walks out on you.

But I don't think that we fit in with the Big East schools anymore than the Big 12 South. Actually, I'd say we fit in much more with schools like Okie State, TTU, and A&M than we do anyone in the Big East. Is there even an Ag school in that conference?

I think Texas will talk to anyone and everyone once their network is up and running, just to see what their options are at that time. Whether they are serious or not, every conference is going to be willing to talk because of that Longhorn money, and nobody will tell them that they have to shut their network down once it is going.

LonoClone

Jun 25, 2008
imho, would be a better deal than kicking our butts kicked year in and year out by the TX OK juggernaut. if you doubt me, take a look at the odds in the other thread.

I don't doubt you, but I have to admit, I'm intrigued by the prospect of "kicking our butts kicked." How exactly does that work?

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Where they going to go? The Longhorn Network is the reason they aren't leaving. Texas will never get a better deal than they have in the Big 12.

I'm not saying it won't happnen, but I think too many people are buying to speculation gone rampant.

Occam's Razor, people.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
Where they going to go? The Longhorn Network is the reason they aren't leaving. Texas will never get a better deal than they have in the Big 12.

I'm not saying it won't happnen, but I think too many people are buying to speculation gone rampant.

Occam's Razor, people.

My simple explanation is that they will continue to seek the most money. If another conference offers more, they're gone.

Once that network is up and running, no suitor is going to tell them they can't have it anymore. That's the reason they did stay, but it isn't enough long-term to keep them. Texas looks out for Texas, and that's it.

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
My simple explanation is that they will continue to seek the most money. If another conference offers more, they're gone.

Once that network is up and running, no suitor is going to tell them they can't have it anymore. That's the reason they did stay, but it isn't enough long-term to keep them. Texas looks out for Texas, and that's it.

Yep, which is why it was extremely stupid to not have all the schools sign a contract. Beebe screwed up on that one.