Big 12 Tourney Seeding Probabilities

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Tx beat KU, so how do we have the tie breaker over them? TIA.

In a tie of 3 teams or more, the first tiebreaker is record against the other teams in the tie. For OU, ISU, and UT, OU is 3-1, we are 2-2, and UT is 1-3 so it would go in that order.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
Okay, gotcha. So darn confusing with the tie breaker stuff. Give you all props, I now can't think past Tuesday. Hope tonight's game was a wake up call!!

digZ

Sep 2, 2011
Colorado
I think there ends up being a log jam at 12-6, with us getting the 3 seed. Would be nice to get the 2/3 and be able to avoid Kansas until possibly the final.

Would need to beat OSU, then likely OU/WV to get to the final of the tourney the way I see it playing out, which I think we could do.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Well, OSU's win over KU tonight means that they are probably in the driver's seat for the #6 seed.

What a great treat for the #3 seed... Get to play Oklahoma State in your first game in KC.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
I think we lose to Baylor and beat osu.
I think Oklahoma and Texas win their last 2 games.
I think kstate goes 1-1.

That at would put us in a tie with kstate, and they get the tie breaker with a win over Kansas. So we are looking at a 5 seed. Crazy. That would mean our first game is with kstate.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I think we lose to Baylor and beat osu.
I think Oklahoma and Texas win their last 2 games.
I think kstate goes 1-1.

That at would put us in a tie with kstate, and they get the tie breaker with a win over Kansas. So we are looking at a 5 seed. Crazy. That would mean our first game is with kstate.
Always one more loss. Before the West Virginia game the consensus was that would be our last loss. Then it was going to be the KState game. Now we are going to lose to Baylor. I mean come on the actual prediction isn't awful but it is always one more loss.

iowast8fan

Aug 3, 2006
Ankeny
Always one more loss. Before the West Virginia game the consensus was that would be our last loss. Then it was going to be the KState game. Now we are going to lose to Baylor. I mean come on the actual prediction isn't awful but it is always one more loss.

You can't use the predictions of several people to come to this conclusion. I personally never said only 1 more loss before wvu. Someone else may have said that, but you can't use someone else's opinion against me in my opinion. If you look at the predictions of 100s of posters, you will obviously get contradicting predictions.

before the wvu game, I was predicting 2 losses (kstate and Baylor). I thought we'd win at wvu. That loss didn't change my prediction that we lose to kstate and Baylor.

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
You can't use the predictions of several people to come to this conclusion. I personally never said only 1 more loss before wvu. Someone else may have said that, but you can't use someone else's opinion against me in my opinion. If you look at the predictions of 100s of posters, you will obviously get contradicting predictions.

before the wvu game, I was predicting 2 losses (kstate and Baylor). I thought we'd win at wvu. That loss didn't change my prediction that we lose to kstate and Baylor.
Sorry wasn't directed at you really. It just seems like the general consensus is always one more loss.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
Just cheer against K-State. Although I don't see Baylor going in to Manhattan and beating them. We'll see.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
Well, OSU's win over KU tonight means that they are probably in the driver's seat for the #6 seed.

What a great treat for the #3 seed... Get to play Oklahoma State in your first game in KC.

Unless West Virginia can win one of their last two. Would a win at home against KU put them in the tourney?

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
Oklahoma holds the tie breaker against us because they went 2-0 against Texas.
Texas and Kansas St both hold the tie breaker against us because they both beat Kansas.

Even if we go 2-0 two of those 3 teams have to go 1-1 for us to get the 3 seed. The only way we get the 2 seed is if all of them go 1-1 while we go 2-0.

Oklahoma will more than likely go 2-0 with games against west Virginia and at tcu.
Texas plays tcu and at tech. We badly need them to lose at tech.
Kansas St will more than likely go 1-1 with games at Oklahoma St and Baylor.

Our seeding depends on the Texas at tech game I think. It will be the difference between us being a 3 or 4 seed.

More than likely though we will be the 4 seed playing Kansas St or Texas.

Last edited:

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Oklahoma holds the tie breaker against us because they went 2-0 against Texas.
Texas and Kansas St both hold the tie breaker against us because they both beat Kansas.

Even if we go 2-0 two of those 3 teams have to go 1-1 for us to get the 3 seed. The only way we get the 2 seed is if all of them go 1-1 while we go 2-0.

More than likely we will be the 4 or 5 seed playing Kansas St or Texas.

If KSU losses at OSU and everyone else wins out, then it goes to round robin record between ISU, UT, and OU. TX has the worst record so we'd end up with the 3rd seed.

So let's all be OSU fans against KSU.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA
If KSU losses at OSU and everyone else wins out, then it goes to round robin record between ISU, UT, and OU. TX has the worst record so we'd end up with the 3rd seed.

When did they change it to that?

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
When did they change it to that?

First tie breaker has always been combined record against the teams you are tied with. Not sure why people think the first tie breaker is record against #1, #2, #3, etc.

nallen34

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 9, 2010
Ankeny, IA

The tie breaker rules say that Texas and Kansas St win the tie breaker over us and Oklahoma because they both went 1-1 against Kansas while us and Oklahoma went 0-2.

Oklahoma will win the tie breaker against us because their combined record against Kansas St and Texas are 3-1 while ours is 2-2.

If it's a tie between just Iowa State, Oklahoma, and Kansas St it will be tied 1-1. Then it goes to Big 12 road record where Oklahoma will win the tie breaker because they will go 5-4 and we will go 4-5(if we beat Baylor) or 3-6(if we don't beat Baylor).

Last edited:

gocubs2118

Mar 31, 2006
Illinois
The tie breaker rules say that Texas and Kansas St win the tie breaker over us and Oklahoma because they both went 1-1 against Kansas while us and Oklahoma went 0-2.

What are you talking about? If KSU loses, like in his scenario, they won't be part of the tie breaker.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron