Big 12 Tourney Seeding Probabilities

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
At this point I think I'd prefer UT beating OU if we also beat KSU. I'd take a 3 seed right now. We'd play WVU and then either Texas or Baylor in their 3rd game in a row. I like that path to Saturday in KC.

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
I'd prefer we just win the next 12 and quit looking at seeding scenarios.

Bam. This squared.

WE are the team that others should be worried about lining up with. Screw it, put us in a play in game so we can thug one more team out of the tournament. Of course a good seed helps but what is real difference in the Big XII between the 2nd and the 8th seed, not damn much.

Schedule the game and ball it. I am ready to just get to the tourney so we knock out some Big East and B1G teams.

I am done ranting, until the KSU game, maybe.

andymhallman

Nov 28, 2012
Fairfield, Iowa
That's pretty cool but I don't understand how Iowa State can be favored to win in Manhattan when ISU is now 3-4 on the road in conference and Kansas State hasn't lost a conference game at home. Does the table not take into account home and away??? I predict the probability of an ISU win Saturday is 25-30 percent, and that winning at Baylor is certainly more likely than winning at K-State and not less likely, as the table would suggest.

Okie State is surely better than an even money bet to defeat Kansas. Kansas has played well on the road, and Okie State did go on a 7-game losing streak, but I would still expect Okie State to be favored on their home court.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
The percentage for our chance of being #2 seemed low. If we win out, what are the odds of us being the #2?

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
The percentage for our chance of being #2 seemed low. If we win out, what are the odds of us being the #2?

We win out, Texas needs one loss. We lose one, they need to lose two. Texas holds the tie breaker over us, and we are currently tied.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Three games tough games to go. All three opponents playing for their tournament lives, with two on the road. Looking around at what other teams finish with, in the Big 12 and elsewhere, few face a tougher schedule (at the very least in terms of predicting).

Win all three, and it is a historically successful season. Even if we go 0-3 and end up 10-8 (22-8), it would be an incredibly successful season, especially the fact we were a lock by the end of mid-Feb.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Here is what I am thinking:

At this point the #2 seed is probably out of the picture since OU should expect to finish 12-6 and they have tiebreakers on us. So the major question here is, how can ISU land a 3 seed?

1) Win out. Obviously that comes first. The game at Baylor on Tuesday is big for landing the 3 seed, and then of course OSU at Hilton.

2) Kansas State loses one of their last two. Since their games are @ Oklahoma State and vs. Baylor, gotta think the game in Stillwater is the best chance for that.

It looks to me like these two things would pretty much secure a 3 seed for ISU. Finish 12-6, and hope KSU picks up a 7th conference loss.

To make things a little more interesting here, an OSU win over KU tonight would put them in the position to get the #6 seed. I do not want to play them two games in a row after beating them twice. KU winning tonight puts West Virginia on track for the #6 seed, so I'm pulling for the Jayhawks this evening.

Best case (realistic) scenario: #3 Iowa State faces #6 West Virginia, advances to face the 2/7 winner (Oklahoma/Baylor), and then makes it to the title game against Kansas/Kansas State/Oklahoma State (all of which would be on the other side of the bracket).

Last edited:

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Are we in 4th right now? 4 team tiebreakers are confusing.

every_yard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2006
Here is what I am thinking:

At this point the #2 seed is probably out of the picture since OU should expect to finish 12-6 and they have tiebreakers on us. So the major question here is, how can ISU land a 3 seed?

1) Win out. Obviously that comes first. The game at Baylor on Tuesday is big for landing the 3 seed, and then of course OSU at Hilton.

2) Kansas State loses one of their last two. Since their games are @ Oklahoma State and vs. Baylor, gotta think the game in Stillwater is the best chance for that.

It looks to me like these two things would pretty much secure a 3 seed for ISU. Finish 12-6, and hope KSU picks up a 7th conference loss.

To make things a little more interesting here, an OSU win over KU tonight would put them in the position to get the #6 seed. I do not want to play them two games in a row after beating them twice. KU winning tonight puts West Virginia on track for the #6 seed, so I'm pulling for the Jayhawks this evening.

Best case (realistic) scenario: #3 Iowa State faces #6 West Virginia, advances to face the 2/7 winner (Oklahoma/Baylor), and then makes it to the title game against Kansas/Kansas State/Oklahoma State (all of which would be on the other side of the bracket).

I was just coming on here to post this exact same thing, so thanks for saving me the time to type it out. Let's just win out and hope OSU beats KSU. And that KU beats OSU tonight if you want WVU to be the 6 seed.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
What about TX? We would be a 4/5 seed depending how KSU ends the season. I don't see Tx loosing their last two...TCU and TT.

tim_redd

Mar 29, 2006
Ankeny
We are in a tough spot now cause we won't have any tie breakers over texas, oklahoma or k-state.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
I was just coming on here to post this exact same thing, so thanks for saving me the time to type it out. Let's just win out and hope OSU beats KSU. And that KU beats OSU tonight if you want WVU to be the 6 seed.

To simplify the ideal, most likely outcome:

1) Kansas over Oklahoma State tonight
3) Oklahoma State over Kansas State on Monday
2) Iowa State over Baylor on Tuesday
4) Iowa State over Oklahoma State next Saturday

All of that together means ISU is #3 seed against (probably) West Virginia.

CyFan61

Oct 25, 2010
Agree,, that's why I'm saying it is almost impossible to land a 3 seed. Looks more like the 4/5.

It is far from "almost impossible" but it does involve us winning our last two. In a 3-way tie OU/ISU/UT we get 2nd.

every_yard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2006
We are in a tough spot now cause we won't have any tie breakers over texas, oklahoma or k-state.

We do have the tie breaker over Texas in a 3 way tie with them and OU due to round robin record. So, as long as we win out and KSU loses 1, we are at least a 3 seed no matter what OU and TEX do.

CyStalker

Jul 16, 2012
Ankeny
We do have the tie breaker over Texas in a 3 way tie with them and OU due to round robin record. So, as long as we win out and KSU loses 1, we are at least a 3 seed no matter what OU and TEX do.

Tx beat KU, so how do we have the tie breaker over them? TIA.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron