BiG 12 Teams as Pizza Brands

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Lol at people saying Pizza Pit and Caseys. This is a national list, so people should recognize the brands nationally. It's not a "here is a pizza chain local to each school" list.

Would anyone outside of ISU and KU recognize either Pizza Pit or Caseys?

Pretty sure there are Caseys in Oklahoma.

cc1091

Oct 10, 2007
Minneapolis
Lol at people saying Pizza Pit and Caseys. This is a national list, so people should recognize the brands nationally. It's not a "here is a pizza chain local to each school" list.

Would anyone outside of ISU and KU recognize either Pizza Pit or Caseys?

Many of us have never heard of Pie Five (apparently ONE in Ankeny), and Blaze Pizza (apparently five in the state, but three of those are in Des Moines). Quite frankly, Casey's and Pasquale's Frozen Pizza (from Humboldt, Iowa) both have better coverage. And then there's Happy Joe's Pizza (which used to have hundreds of stores including one in Egypt). And don't forget Pizza Ranch (though I would like to). Anyhow, both Happy Joe's and Pizza Ranch are national chains with Iowa roots. SO given that list, plus the knowledge that Ames based Pizza Pit is no longer limited to Ames, Iowa, I would think that California based Blaze Pizza would be far down on the list.

(And BTW - Why Kansas State is not equated to once dominant, but now ever fading and middle of the road Pizza Hut is quite a slap in the face since the first store was there, only blocks from the University. ).

• Informative
Reactions: khardbored

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
I've never heard of Blaze Pizza. I was surprised to see there is a location in Ames. It does sound good.

Actually, all pizza sounds good right now...

Did we have Vesuvius when you were here? Blaze and Smokin' Oak are now on Lincoln Way about a block apart from each other, and both basically do the same thing Vesuvius did before they drove it out of business (creative wood-fired pizzas), they just give you way more options. I personally like Blaze better than Smokin' Oak.

We went to the new steakburger place just for a malt to share a few weeks ago (I forget the name of it?) that's by Fuzzy's and one of the two pizza places. It is crazy how many options there are now for fast-casual dining in Campustown.

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Did we have Vesuvius when you were here? Blaze and Smokin' Oak are now on Lincoln Way about a block apart from each other, and both basically do the same thing Vesuvius did before they drove it out of business (creative wood-fired pizzas), they just give you way more options. I personally like Blaze better than Smokin' Oak.

We went to the new steakburger place just for a malt to share a few weeks ago (I forget the name of it?) that's by Fuzzy's and one of the two pizza places. It is crazy how many options there are now for fast-casual dining in Campustown.
Vesuvius is closed?! :( That was our can't miss restaurant when back in Ames because we've yet to find any authentic wood-fired pizza as good as that.

A wood fired pizza chain called Your Pie recently opened in Davenport that sounds similar to Blaze and the others mentioned here. It's almost as good as Vesuvius and only $8 for a pizza that leaves me with leftovers.

Reactions: Angie

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Vesuvius is closed?! :( That was our can't miss restaurant when back in Ames because we've yet to find any authentic wood-fired pizza as good as that.

A wood fired pizza chain called Your Pie recently opened in Davenport that sounds similar to Blaze and the others mentioned here. It's almost as good as Vesuvius and only $8 for a pizza that leaves me with leftovers.

Just within the past six months. It's too bad, because they were so much more conveniently located for non-students, with ample parking. It's great how the "single-serving" wood-fired pizzas are enormous and can leave you with tons of leftovers.

cyfamily

Mar 19, 2015
Many of us have never heard of Pie Five (apparently ONE in Ankeny), and Blaze Pizza (apparently five in the state, but three of those are in Des Moines). Quite frankly, Casey's and Pasquale's Frozen Pizza (from Humboldt, Iowa) both have better coverage. And then there's Happy Joe's Pizza (which used to have hundreds of stores including one in Egypt). And don't forget Pizza Ranch (though I would like to). Anyhow, both Happy Joe's and Pizza Ranch are national chains with Iowa roots. SO given that list, plus the knowledge that Ames based Pizza Pit is no longer limited to Ames, Iowa, I would think that California based Blaze Pizza would be far down on the list.

(And BTW - Why Kansas State is not equated to once dominant, but now ever fading and middle of the road Pizza Hut is quite a slap in the face since the first store was there, only blocks from the University. ).

We should all forget Pizza Ranch since they are the "official pizza of the Iowa Hawkeyes".....

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX

It doesn't ring a bell to me but that doesn't mean it wasn't there (2005-2010).

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
you mean gumby's.

80s kids know what im talkin about

I was president of my dorm floor my freshman year and we were looking at past expenses and there was a 3 year stretch that they spent all the money on Pokey Stix from Gumby's.

I was in Raleigh NC recently and got a chance to try them since there is a Gumby's there. They were awesome

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron