Big 12 Send Cease and Desist to ESPN

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Perhaps...but the guys recruiting our football players sure as hell want this resolved yesterday.
I completely get that and I agree. Take the B10. I think the question is- is the incentive there right now, and if not, which I tend to side with those that say it isn't, is it possible that the incentive might be there with time (more victories, legal posturing and maneuvering, sustained public outcry, political intervention, etc.) and some leverage given that things have already changed so wildly and so fast in unexpected ways.

IF we truly are in need of a miracle, this at the very least gives more time and avenues for a miracle to arrive. I'll take as many shots from as many angles for as long as I can get if we are in the business of miracles. We know our value, without question. There's many who refuse to see it and they have ulterior motives in doing so, obviously. That's what we are up against, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I think it has been said that Disney was willing to part with ESPN due to their overly expensive TV contracts. With all of this going on now, makes me curious how much more readily they are to wash their hands of them, because Disney is having their name dragged through the mud over this.
Their media blitz for streaming packages appears to contradict this assumption.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
I feel like the people who see this as a negative were people ignorantly expecting everything to fall in to place this week. This isn't getting sorted out for a long time, the only thing that may speed things up is ESPN facing the facts and settling.
The more media exposure, the worse it gets for Disney.

MartyFine

Jul 7, 2009
Warren Co., IA
The NFL would certainly draw better than whatever college game was on, but would it draw as well as if were on a different night/day of the week?

I don't think the NFL (or more importantly their tv partners, one of which is ESPN) is interested in getting 75% of the viewing audience they would get on Sunday just to get into a pissing match with college football. Because if that wink/nod agreement the NFL and college football cuts both ways. If the NFL starts putting games on Saturday, college football starts putting games on Sunday. Obviously, they won't draw the ratings the NFL would, but they'll cut into the NFL viewing audience. All this would do is make both leagues less profitable.

I don't think CBS and NBC would have any issues with an ESPN pissing match. I also don't believe there is anything that can happen outside of an apocalypse that would make the NFL less profitable.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
The NFL would certainly draw better than whatever college game was on, but would it draw as well as if were on a different night/day of the week?

I don't think the NFL (or more importantly their tv partners, one of which is ESPN) is interested in getting 75% of the viewing audience they would get on Sunday just to get into a pissing match with college football. Because if that wink/nod agreement the NFL and college football cuts both ways. If the NFL starts putting games on Saturday, college football starts putting games on Sunday. Obviously, they won't draw the ratings the NFL would, but they'll cut into the NFL viewing audience. All this would do is make both leagues less profitable.

It would be interesting if NBC and CBS got the next NFL deal.

Then they decided to each show two games on Saturday, maybe even a Saturday evening game. There are still enough games to fill that up, Monday night, Sunday night, Thursday night and of course Sunday daytime.

If that happened the NFL would decimate CFB. If a network got the NFL without college football coverage this will get very interesting.

Reactions: LincolnSwinger

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Make sure you stretch before taking a giant reach like that.

Disney has a hundred times that sitting in the couch cushions.
You’re right. People should just continue to give their money to an organization they fundamentally disagree with how it’s operating simply because their money loss won’t be noticed. Principles are stoopid

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Because this could save college football. And ISU being the school that did it would be historical.

I doubt the Big 10 and Pac 12 are looking at it that way. I am sure they would rather bring in someone who isn't going to "rock the boat" instead of being a "Bruce Pearl".

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
I doubt the Big 10 and Pac 12 are looking at it that way. I am sure they would rather bring in someone who isn't going to "rock the boat" instead of being a "Bruce Pearl".
I think you're too concerned about what the Big 10 and Pac 12 think.

• Agree
Reactions: norcalcy

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron