Big 12 Plans Going Forward

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
So, I think most of us can agree that even though things look bad right now, the best case scenario for Iowa State is that the Big 12 stays together. Even if Texas and OU go, it's still possible to keep things together. If I was the Big 12, here's what my plan would be. Granted, this is not a very realistic one, I honestly doubt its even slightly possible, but if someone wanted me to slap together something tonight to start working on the next morning to save the conference then here's what I'd give them.

First of all, I want to state that the Big 12 has a few things in its favor still. ESPN owns the rights to a lot of it's content, and even though they have other TV deals and the likes, the Big 12 falling apart wouldn't do them any favors. Airing lower tier AAC games isn't going to do them as much good as something like a mid tier game of TCU vs. Kansas State would from the Big 12. 2nd, as things stand we still have a NY6 bowl tie in no matter what Oklahoma and Texas do. That keeps us above the likes of the AAC and the Mountain West even if it doesn't really feel like it right now.

1. Keep all 8 remaining teams together. That's the big one and the one that I think is the least likely to happen out of all of these other than the last one. If all 8 are united then things can move forward. If say, KSU and KU bail for the Big 10 or Oklahoma State jumps to the Pac 12 then things will start to feel very bad in a hurry and a lot of what the Big 12 has in its favor go with it.

2. Start expanding as soon as possible. Start by sending offers to the top of the AAC. Cincy, Memphis, and Houston are easy and obvious calls. I'd be pretty shocked if any of them turned it down. I'd say round it out with either UCF or SMU. Not sure which one would be the better fit, but UCF is more competitive in football and is a new market so I'd probably lean them.

3. Once you have the top 8 committed and 4 new schools added on, I think you have enough to prove that the conference isn't going anywhere. Those 4 are actual solid adds too, which should be enough to prove to some more tough targets that the risk of joining is pretty low. At this point they should probably start work on negotiating media deals, hopefully in a pretty creative manner because the revenue drop at this point is still pretty substantial.

4. While you're doing that, there's still a lot of work to be done. If there's some positive momentum in your favor I think it's time to try and lure BYU into the deal. They could be fairly hesitant to leave their independent status behind if they don't have to but if you can get 12 committed teams in the conference and also have some solid media deals in place there's enough there to entice them most likely. Also at this point I think the Big 12 should also put a lot of effort into pursuing Arizona and Arizona State into leaving the Pac 12. To make some headway in media deals and overall conference perception I think you'll need to get someone who is already in a major conference, and there was some interest from them within the last year or so. The SEC and Big 10 aren't going to have anyone jump ship from them and the ACC just wouldn't make a ton of sense in general to try and raid unless someone shows interest. So for now it's all in on Arizona and Arizona State. Those 2 jumping ship would be massive for the perception of the conference, add enough to the numbers to keep up with the other conferences who likely will be also looking to expand, and also will help with trying to get the last piece of the plan in. You'd have to get on them fairly quickly though, for sure before the Pac 12 can lock their media deals down or start expanding themselves.

5. The final step of the plan. At this point you have 15 teams in the with 8 remainders, the best of the G5 in Cincy, Memphis, Houston, and UCF, a competitive independent school in BYU, and then a major steal in Arizona State and Arizona. The conference is not only looking strong, but actually has some good momentum on its side. At this point the Big 10 is probably forced into action and is trying steal a few more from the ACC, the Pac 12 looking at G5s to add on with, the ACC is on the defensive or trying to replace teams, and the SEC is probably just sitting back finished unless they're trying to do a super league deal. The Big 12 however, is actually looking pretty strong and united. At this point in time the NY6 tie in is probably safe since the stigma of it being the lower Big 12 schools and a few good ones from the AAC is gone due to the Arizonas coming over. However, even though they've made a ton of moves and won a lot of battles, there's still some issues they have to deal with. Mainly, revenue and new media deals. This is where you full court press the biggest dog left on the board easily. That of course is Notre Dame.

This isn't going to be an easy thing to do at all, which is why it probably has to be the last step. You're not getting Notre Dame if the 8 remainders are all looking over their shoulders to the Pac 12 or Big 10 to bail, if you only add a bunch of good AAC schools, or can't shake the perception of the Big 12 being a sinking ship or behind the times. That's why the Arizonas and BYU are so important to this scenerio. Sure, you could just stop at a few AAC schools and play for Notre Dame then to go back to 12, but the conference doesn't look attractive enough yet. If the SEC is trying to build a super league of sorts then the Big 10 is absolutely going to follow, which means the Pac 12 and ACC get forced into action too. Notre Dame isn't going to jump into a 12 team league while the rest are trying to match the SEC. And sure, the ACC tie in for them already exists but if the scenario of the ACC being on the defensive from the Big 10 is happening and you can offer better travel then I think there's a shot. Not a great shot mind you, as just staying independent is always an option here. As far as the playoff goes though, it seems like being in a conference is better than not being in one as it gives you one more game plus the ability to take a conference championship into the committee's' discussion room. Being in the ACC actually helped Notre Dame's tv ratings as well this last season. So there's some reasons as to why they could go for it. But there's no reason for them to jump into a bad opportunity, which the Big 12 would no longer be if they took all those steps above. Any issues with media rights would be pretty much solved with their additions, and the conference's future would be looking very bright going forward.

So a quick recap, here's how the conference would look with this new configuration. I'd assume pod scheduling would work the best so I'll split them into that

East: West Virginia, Notre Dame, Cincinnati, UCF
North: Iowa State, Kansas State, Kansas, Memphis
South: Oklahoma State, Baylor, Houston, TCU
West: Arizona, Arizona State, BYU, Texas Tech

Overall I think this is a pretty competitive conference that meets the needs of what we'll probably need in the new landscape of college football. The SEC will be kings, there's no real doubt about that, but this will be better than the Clemson heavy ACC and probably better than whatever the Pac 12 puts out there as well. If after all this we can hold steady at 3rd place, which is pretty much where we were before anyways, then that's a pretty massive W.

And while football is the kings, basketball wise this is actually kind of an insanely good conference. Kansas and Baylor still carry the flag but behind them you have a noted strong program in Arizona, a currently very good one in Houston, and a lot of programs that range from different degrees of solid behind them. Even some of the worse ones currently like Iowa State, Cincy, Kansas State, Notre Dame, and Memphis are proven capable of putting some really good runs together for extended periods of time.

So, what do we think? This wasn't meant to be a realistic thought process in any real way, it's more of drafting up a best case scenario plan for the Big 12 in the face of what's probable death coming for us. Any other plans or changes to my plan that could be made? I stayed away from trying to come up with exact plans for media rights because I have no idea what I'm talking about there.

HouClone

Sep 3, 2011
Houston
So, I think most of us can agree that even though things look bad right now, the best case scenario for Iowa State is that the Big 12 stays together. Even if Texas and OU go, it's still possible to keep things together. If I was the Big 12, here's what my plan would be. Granted, this is not a very realistic one, I honestly doubt its even slightly possible, but if someone wanted me to slap together something tonight to start working on the next morning to save the conference then here's what I'd give them.

First of all, I want to state that the Big 12 has a few things in its favor still. ESPN owns the rights to a lot of it's content, and even though they have other TV deals and the likes, the Big 12 falling apart wouldn't do them any favors. Airing lower tier AAC games isn't going to do them as much good as something like a mid tier game of TCU vs. Kansas State would from the Big 12. 2nd, as things stand we still have a NY6 bowl tie in no matter what Oklahoma and Texas do. That keeps us above the likes of the AAC and the Mountain West even if it doesn't really feel like it right now.

1. Keep all 8 remaining teams together. That's the big one and the one that I think is the least likely to happen out of all of these other than the last one. If all 8 are united then things can move forward. If say, KSU and KU bail for the Big 10 or Oklahoma State jumps to the Pac 12 then things will start to feel very bad in a hurry and a lot of what the Big 12 has in its favor go with it.

2. Start expanding as soon as possible. Start by sending offers to the top of the AAC. Cincy, Memphis, and Houston are easy and obvious calls. I'd be pretty shocked if any of them turned it down. I'd say round it out with either UCF or SMU. Not sure which one would be the better fit, but UCF is more competitive in football and is a new market so I'd probably lean them.

3. Once you have the top 8 committed and 4 new schools added on, I think you have enough to prove that the conference isn't going anywhere. Those 4 are actual solid adds too, which should be enough to prove to some more tough targets that the risk of joining is pretty low. At this point they should probably start work on negotiating media deals, hopefully in a pretty creative manner because the revenue drop at this point is still pretty substantial.

4. While you're doing that, there's still a lot of work to be done. If there's some positive momentum in your favor I think it's time to try and lure BYU into the deal. They could be fairly hesitant to leave their independent status behind if they don't have to but if you can get 12 committed teams in the conference and also have some solid media deals in place there's enough there to entice them most likely. Also at this point I think the Big 12 should also put a lot of effort into pursuing Arizona and Arizona State into leaving the Pac 12. To make some headway in media deals and overall conference perception I think you'll need to get someone who is already in a major conference, and there was some interest from them within the last year or so. The SEC and Big 10 aren't going to have anyone jump ship from them and the ACC just wouldn't make a ton of sense in general to try and raid unless someone shows interest. So for now it's all in on Arizona and Arizona State. Those 2 jumping ship would be massive for the perception of the conference, add enough to the numbers to keep up with the other conferences who likely will be also looking to expand, and also will help with trying to get the last piece of the plan in. You'd have to get on them fairly quickly though, for sure before the Pac 12 can lock their media deals down or start expanding themselves.

5. The final step of the plan. At this point you have 15 teams in the with 8 remainders, the best of the G5 in Cincy, Memphis, Houston, and UCF, a competitive independent school in BYU, and then a major steal in Arizona State and Arizona. The conference is not only looking strong, but actually has some good momentum on its side. At this point the Big 10 is probably forced into action and is trying steal a few more from the ACC, the Pac 12 looking at G5s to add on with, the ACC is on the defensive or trying to replace teams, and the SEC is probably just sitting back finished unless they're trying to do a super league deal. The Big 12 however, is actually looking pretty strong and united. At this point in time the NY6 tie in is probably safe since the stigma of it being the lower Big 12 schools and a few good ones from the AAC is gone due to the Arizonas coming over. However, even though they've made a ton of moves and won a lot of battles, there's still some issues they have to deal with. Mainly, revenue and new media deals. This is where you full court press the biggest dog left on the board easily. That of course is Notre Dame.

This isn't going to be an easy thing to do at all, which is why it probably has to be the last step. You're not getting Notre Dame if the 8 remainders are all looking over their shoulders to the Pac 12 or Big 10 to bail, if you only add a bunch of good AAC schools, or can't shake the perception of the Big 12 being a sinking ship or behind the times. That's why the Arizonas and BYU are so important to this scenerio. Sure, you could just stop at a few AAC schools and play for Notre Dame then to go back to 12, but the conference doesn't look attractive enough yet. If the SEC is trying to build a super league of sorts then the Big 10 is absolutely going to follow, which means the Pac 12 and ACC get forced into action too. Notre Dame isn't going to jump into a 12 team league while the rest are trying to match the SEC. And sure, the ACC tie in for them already exists but if the scenario of the ACC being on the defensive from the Big 10 is happening and you can offer better travel then I think there's a shot. Not a great shot mind you, as just staying independent is always an option here. As far as the playoff goes though, it seems like being in a conference is better than not being in one as it gives you one more game plus the ability to take a conference championship into the committee's' discussion room. Being in the ACC actually helped Notre Dame's tv ratings as well this last season. So there's some reasons as to why they could go for it. But there's no reason for them to jump into a bad opportunity, which the Big 12 would no longer be if they took all those steps above. Any issues with media rights would be pretty much solved with their additions, and the conference's future would be looking very bright going forward.

So a quick recap, here's how the conference would look with this new configuration. I'd assume pod scheduling would work the best so I'll split them into that

Overall I think this is a pretty competitive conference that meets the needs of what we'll probably need in the new landscape of college football. The SEC will be kings, there's no real doubt about that, but this will be better than the Clemson heavy ACC and probably better than whatever the Pac 12 puts out there as well. If after all this we can hold steady at 3rd place, which is pretty much where we were before anyways, then that's a pretty massive W.

And while football is the kings, basketball wise this is actually kind of an insanely good conference. Kansas and Baylor still carry the flag but behind them you have a noted strong program in Arizona, a currently very good one in Houston, and a lot of programs that range from different degrees of solid behind them. Even some of the worse ones currently like Iowa State, Cincy, Kansas State, Notre Dame, and Memphis are proven capable of putting some really good runs together for extended periods of time.

So, what do we think? This wasn't meant to be a realistic thought process in any real way, it's more of drafting up a best case scenario plan for the Big 12 in the face of what's probable death coming for us. Any other plans or changes to my plan that could be made? I stayed away from trying to come up with exact plans for media rights because I have no idea what I'm talking about there.
There is no way any Pac-12 team is coming to the Big 12 anytime soon.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The Big 12 is not financially viable without TX and OU as a P5 level conference. The networks were already offering really low money for media contracts, which is why OU and TX are bolting, what do you think those media contracts will look like without those 2. If they are gone no other school left will want or should want to stay in it. The future media contracts will be dismal and G5 level at best. The money will dry up and it will be a disaster for anyone staying in the conference that thinks they can replace OU and TX with Memphis, Cincy or any other G5 school, and no other P5 school would even consider looking towards the sinking ship that is the Big 12. Hell Im not even sure Memphis and Cincy want to get on board this disaster at this point.

We will not be able to sustain our current facility upgrades, our staff or our sports, with G5 level funding, and that is what we would be looking at in a salvaged Big 12.

The best thing that ISU can do now is find a New home and FAST!!! Get out while you can, Last one out is a rotten egg! Because the Big 12 is the Titanic after it hit the ice berg and the life boats are few.

We better hope that Pollard has decided its time to jump ship and not try to go down with the boat.

exCyDing

Nov 29, 2017
The ACC’s GOR goes well into the 2030s, and ND is contractually obligated to join the ACC if they join any conference in that time frame. Nobody’s leaving the ACC, just as no one is leaving the Big 10 or SEC. those are set in stone. I’m not even sure we could get the Arizona schools. They’re safe in the PAC-12, and the Big XII is anything but stable.

Options in terms of best to worst for ISU, assuming OU and Texas are gone:
  1. Invite to the Big 10. There aren’t a lot of AAU schools to choose from, and I think they learned their lesson about choosing expansion targets by media market vs fan base last time
  2. Invite to the ACC. WV is a far more likely target for them, and I don’t see them going more than 15 while they try to wait out ND.
  3. Keep the remaining Big XII Schools together and add two schools. Nobody grew the pie enough when expansion was explored last time, and that hasn’t changed. Adding more than two just decreases the size of everyone’s cut. Houston and Cincinnati probably make the most sense geographically, academically, and economically.
  4. Invite to the PAC-12. Almost everything about this would suck except that it’s better than being outside of a power conference
Option 3 seems most likely, though if the other three conferences decide to go to 16, they’re going to come calling again.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
The ACC’s GOR goes well into the 2030s, and ND is contractually obligated to join the ACC if they join any conference in that time frame. Nobody’s leaving the ACC, just as no one is leaving the Big 10 or SEC. those are set in stone. I’m not even sure we could get the Arizona schools. They’re safe in the PAC-12, and the Big XII is anything but stable.

1. Invite to the Big 10. There aren’t a lot of AAU schools to choose from, and I think they learned their lesson about choosing expansion targets by media market vs fan base last time
  2. Invite to the ACC. WV is a far more likely target for them, and I don’t see them going more than 15 while they try to wait out ND.
  3. Keep the remaining Big XII Schools together and add two schools. Nobody grew the pie enough when expansion was explored last time, and that hasn’t changed. Adding more than two just decreases the size of everyone’s cut. Houston and Cincinnati probably make the most sense geographically, academically, and economically.
  4. Invite to the PAC-12. Almost everything about this would suck except that it’s better than being outside of a power conference
Option 3 seems most likely, though if the other three conferences decide to go to 16, they’re going to come calling again.
Option 3 is suicide.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown

ASU is dead set on becoming known as a premier research institution. I don't think you could pry them away from being in the same company as the Pac-12 elites.

Reactions: I@ST1

CyclonesForever

Nov 5, 2011
Ames, IA

Screw that. I think we can all agree going to the Big Ten would be most people's top choice if Texas and Oklahoma leave. I'd also be interested in the ACC if they offered, but I think that's unlikely. But if the Pac-12 wanted Iowa State and we stayed in a zombie version of the Big 12, I'd stop watching ISU athletics for making a move that insanely stupid.

QCCyclone

Feb 10, 2013
So, I think most of us can agree that even though things look bad right now, the best case scenario for Iowa State is that the Big 12 stays together. Even if Texas and OU go, it's still possible to keep things together. If I was the Big 12, here's what my plan would be. Granted, this is not a very realistic one, I honestly doubt its even slightly possible
Should've stopped here. I get the idea, but we can't just replace Texas and Oklahoma with G5 teams and assume we could steal from another conference. We'd basically be a G5 league with a NY6 bowl tie in (while it lasts).

I think most would agree that the best option, assuming TX and OK leave, is to join the Big10 or PAC12. This is where Pollard should be focusing 100% of his efforts IMO.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
if you say kstate to the big10 you instantly lose all creditability and i stop reading.

***Universities not getting invited to the Big10

Baylor is #76 but god and rape and non AAU. aint happening.
tcu is #80 god and non aau.

Kstate is ranked #170 in the nation. non aau.
Okie state is ranked #184. non aau.
texas tech is # 217. non aau
WVU is ranked #241 in the nation. non aau. this is a very bad school for academics.

**Universities leaving

Texas is ranked #42 and AAU member. great school
Oklahoma is ranked # 133. non aau. (Culturally they do not fit the big10. and I dont believe they would be invited unless required by texas).

*** Unis with the only shots at the Big10
KU is ranked 124 and is an AAU member
ISU is ranked 118 and is an AAU member.

KU and ISU need to align themselves with other academically focused Universities. The big10 should be the only goal.
Staying with the big12 leftovers is suicide for both the athletic dept. and the academics of the university.

source: https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Association_of_American_Universities

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
The only way the PAC12 or any of those teams are in play is if we join those in the West coast. Not the other way around. I don’t see how anyone thinks we are poaching any of those schools.

HoopsTournament

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
www.hoopstournament.net

I stopped reading when you said that most of us agree that the best thing is the Big 12 staying together. No, the best thing is Iowa State going to the Big Ten. This scenario means we failed to do that.

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Stopped reading when it starts out with a false premise.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Yeah, the Big 12 is a weak conference without OU and UT. Time to put all our effort into joining the Big Ten.
But it still is a more viable plan, financial-wise, than being forced to join the Mountain West, MAC, or AAC. Eight P5 teams with an additional 2, 4, even 8 teams is certainly more valuable than joining one of these conferences. But, as folks state, any "new" Big 12 is simply waiting for the other P5 conferences to pick off 1-2 teams at a time, putting you in an even worse situation.

The bigger, bolder play is to simply work with the other conferences, kill the Big 12, and divide the teams up between the three non-SEC P5 conferences. You have room to push WV to the ACC, KU and ISU to the BIG, and TTech/TCU/KSU/OSU to the PAC. Yep, Baylor is out. This sets you up with four 16-team conferences. Dream big.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I think sticking together is going to back fire. Someone will leave on their on interests. Should be us if the offer is there. Texas and OU flipped us the bird without even telling us they were leaving. I have very little belief this will end well even if they both decide to stay committed to the Big 12.

I'm also still not convinced they find 11 yes votes in the SEC to add those two. TamU did everyone a huge favor.

Reactions: Dr.bannedman

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Looking at the landscape, TCU may want to tell Baylor it’s best to go big east basketball style. Doesn’t appear to be many conferences that want a private Christian based school. So take them, BYU, SMU, and whatever 4-6 others work and form a conference. It won’t be P5 but they may have enough to be bigger than the AACs $7 MM/year.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
But it still is a more viable plan, financial-wise, than being forced to join the Mountain West, MAC, or AAC. Eight P5 teams with an additional 2, 4, even 8 teams is certainly more valuable than joining one of these conferences. But, as folks state, any "new" Big 12 is simply waiting for the other P5 conferences to pick off 1-2 teams at a time, putting you in an even worse situation.

The bigger, bolder play is to simply work with the other conferences, kill the Big 12, and divide the teams up between the three non-SEC P5 conferences. You have room to push WV to the ACC, KU and ISU to the BIG, and TTech/TCU/KSU/OSU to the PAC. Yep, Baylor is out. This sets you up with four 16-team conferences. Dream big.

I posted almost that exact scenario in another thread (except I had OSU to the ACC and Baylor to the PAC12)

• Agree
Reactions: knowlesjam

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron