Big 12 Plans Going Forward

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think sticking together is going to back fire. Someone will leave on their on interests. Should be us if the offer is there. Texas and OU flipped us the bird without even telling us they were leaving. I have very little belief this will end well even if they both decide to stay committed to the Big 12.

I'm also still not convinced they find 11 yes votes in the SEC to add those two. TamU did everyone a huge favor.
If OU and UT don’t SEC, the conference is still in shambles. I wish things would have not erupted until after Christmas. Have a great run in football and keep laying that foundation as a good team with fantastic following and we would look even more attractive. Heck, although BB isn’t as important, have TJ show we are on the way back even if that’s a .500 record and NIT and we are getting even more publicity.

Reactions: wintersmd

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
If i was JP i would try to talk the pac12 and b1g into creating the afl to the sec's nfl.

Combine the two conferences and grab 6 best of big12 (prob leave tcu and baylor behind), make four 8 team regional divisions. Youd have 4 time zones, could fold the crap pac network into the better b1g network. Tons of content.

The rationale is arms race. Do you let sec become the elite cfb league and poach mich, ohio st, penn st? Or do you match them? Better do the latter or you are in same boat as ISU and Ok st, sooner than later.

Grabbing the midwest big12 teams brings some decent schools for numbers and connects the conf geographically. East, midwest, plains, coast divisions. Might even not dilute the money very much at that point.

Let the sec have the acc. Smaller geographic footprint for them overall, prob smaller population base.

Worth a shot anyway.

2forISU

Oct 8, 2008
Big12 is done. Why would any team that's in one of the big 5 conferences come to the Big12? Lack a stability and money are two big issues. Out of the Big 5 conferences the Big12 ranks last in total income. Also, last in television revenue which will only decrease further with UT and OU leaving.

Bobby hasn't done anything to push the Big12 forward in his tenure as the commish.

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/emd...onferences-in-college-sports/?sh=1744399b6ae9

• Agree
Reactions: CyBobby

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Big12 is done. Why would any team that's in one of the big 5 conferences come to the Big12? Lack a stability and money are two big issues. Out of the Big 5 conferences the Big12 ranks last in total income.
Uh, no. We are #3 even without tier 3s added in. I guess if you are not talking about per school, but that is what matters to schools.

Reactions: Cyclone27inQC

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
Baylor is in a tough position...I just can't see the PAC pulling in a religious school...that's a tough sell to the others too, despite the athletic prowess of Baylor. They do fit the profile of the Big East though...

I actually don't think the smaller private universities in Texas are that screwed. Baylor and TCU will do just fine in the American or whatever its called. (Houston and SMU etc)

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I actually don't think the smaller private universities in Texas are that screwed. Baylor and TCU will do just fine in the American or whatever its called. (Houston and SMU etc)
Money wise they are screwed. They may be able to bump that conference up to $10 MM each but that seems unlikely if they all stay in there.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Well, there is always room in those conferences for former P5 schools...they become the big fish in the pond. But the $ flow is significantly diminished...I'd expect them to fight that scenario tooth and nail.

• Agree
Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
A reconstituted Big 12 will be a long ways ahead of any existing G5 in payments. As long as we have enough money to have solid facilities and pay a good coach, we can be alright. Might have to scuttle things like the entertainment district and not make any upgrades to Jack Trice for awhile, but we've gotten things to the point where we don't need to for awhile either.

We don't know that the Big 12 was going to get a bad TV deal either. UT and OU didn't even wait to find out.

Getting into the Big 10 or Pac 12 is our best option. The Big 10 would be an improvement over what we had, and the new Pac 12 wouldn't be a big step back (just less drivable road games), but the 8 schools filling in with Cincy, Memphis, BYU, and one of the Florida schools wouldn't be suicide. It would just be the last power conference. It's winner would still get into the playoffs most years, and we'd still be able to recruit developmental 3 star guys at that level, while maintaining both of our rivalry games.

It's a definite set back, but it's not doomsday either.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Even if Texas and OU stay eventually the SEC and Big 10 are going to start poaching their pick of the litter.

yeah, i just don't see how the big 12 can stay together.

they may talk like they all want to stick together going forward but at the end of the day they will realize the money isnt going to be there and will try and put themselves in the best position possible.

jp needs to get on the horn with gene smith and his bros up in wisconsin

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
B1G or bust. Anything else will be a step down. PAC 16 would be an ok option but it's going to be odd man out. ACC will be interesting as well.

• Agree
Reactions: TXCyclones

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Texas is gone. SEC or independent, they are OUT. Which means OU is too.
I don't see why that has to be. Keep OU add both Arizona schools and make a huge push for Notre Dame. That would be a buck nasty conference. F*** Texas with a mangled fork. They can do what they're going to do. If OUstill wants to play Texas every year they can.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Looking at the landscape, TCU may want to tell Baylor it’s best to go big east basketball style. Doesn’t appear to be many conferences that want a private Christian based school. So take them, BYU, SMU, and whatever 4-6 others work and form a conference. It won’t be P5 but they may have enough to be bigger than the AACs $7 MM/year.

I don’t think this is the reason no one wants them.

• Winner
Reactions: TXCyclones

everyyard

Nov 24, 2006
www.cyclonejerseys.com
I don't see why that has to be. Keep OU add both Arizona schools and make a huge push for Notre Dame. That would be a buck nasty conference. F*** Texas with a mangled fork. They can do what they're going to do. If OUstill wants to play Texas every year they can.

ND is NOT going to play in Manhattan, Ames, Stillwater, etc EVER. Good God.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron