Big 12/ Pac 12 Merger (keep all the teams)

FerShizzle

person/genius
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2013
Des Moines
Can't get far enough away from the P12 dumpster. They add nothing other than content. They think they are always about B12. Who needs that. We finally got rid of the last 2 teams who suck the teat of B12. Enjoy OuT!
they add stability. adding 4-6 PAC teams gets the Big 12 to a spot that makes them most likely to survive the next decades when compared to the ACC and PAC. it makes them able to withstand another poaching if/when that happens.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Ol' Stewie thinks Big 12 is making a mistake it appears:

lotr-gollum.gif

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Not only does this not close the door, I think it indicates that door is wide open. The big 12 is walking away from this because they know they can likely get 4-6 PAC teams and make more on average that way.

ESPN was the only thing that was going to stop this imo.

It tells me that as of right now, ESPN is not willing to subsidize the PAC just to try and kill the Big 12, or move some PAC to the ACC (building that into a P2.5)

As long as ESPN doesn't overpay to prop the PAC up, top PAC schools in the Big 12 should make more AND be more stable. Please just no LHN-type curve ball by ESPN

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
Ol' Stewie thinks Big 12 is making a mistake it appears:

This is the same guy that last year wrote an entire article how the Big 12 leftovers were worth $12 mil per school per year. Now he’s saying because Oregon and Washington are valuable, they should subsidize the rest of the 8 schools?

THAT IS EXACTLY WHY OU/Texas left. And USC/UCLA. It’s a take that is devoid of all reason and recent history.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
  1. big 12 has fan bases that show out. this matters a lot in the cord cut era we are in
  2. big 12 might not be top heavy with traditional powers and markets, but who gives a **** about that in the cord cut era. it has a dense middle that gives you a great slate of games weekly.
  3. big 12 can provide 7 games a week. 2 @ 11:00, 2 @ 2:30, 2 @ 7:00, and 1@ Thurs/Friday/bye
  4. big 12 - OUT already has a better TV deal in place than the PAC - USC/UCLA. i dont see this changing.
I think the reality is that the new Big 12 (or even newer Big 12) will need some programs to rise up and build a new perception of the league. Over time, those programs can become the new marquee names.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Not only does this not close the door, I think it indicates that door is wide open. The big 12 is walking away from this because they know they can likely get 4-6 PAC teams and make more on average that way.
I hope so. It would be sweet if the Big 12 could poach some of their schools now. CU and the Arizonas + Utah I don't think jive anyway in a Cali league... time for Yormark to start slinging some deals.

• Agree
Reactions: MisterO

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
So then if Oklahoma and Texas said they'd stay in the Big 12 as long as they receive more than their fair share of the annual media payout, would you be okay with that too?

We've seen what preferential treatment for certain member institutions has done to the Big 12 over the last few decades. The key to long term stability is treating all members equally. Don't need any more Texas type prima Donas in the Big 12.
I seem to remember last summer when news of OU & UT rumor broke, Big12 remaining 8 offered UT &OU 1.5 shares of media $ to stay.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Utah fans have been terrible since the whole thing started. Not just with ISU, but with everyone.

Like Oregon and Washington, they’re pinning their hopes on a Big 10 invite. While it seems like a long shot for the other two at this point, it’s always been a pipe dream for them.

I’m still not opposed to adding Utah, but I’m not feeling as friendly toward them as I was in the beginning. While ASU may not be overly thrilled about joining the Big 12, at least they’re being realistic about it.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
I seem to remember last summer when news of OU & UT rumor broke, Big12 remaining 8 offered UT &OU 1.5 shares of media $ to stay.
And that's because the remaining Big 12 institutions were circling the drain. When you're going down for the third time, you'll agree to pretty much anything to survive.

Now the remaining institutions are in a position of strength, so they can nip any movement toward preferential treatment in the bud.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
I think the reality is that the new Big 12 (or even newer Big 12) will need some programs to rise up and build a new perception of the league. Over time, those programs can become the new marquee names.

These G5 programs and even BYU have built rosters that can compete with all but the elites while on 1/4 the budget of the Big 12 and the label of G5. It is a little bit scary to think of how well UCF has done given they were in the MAC when DMAC was turning us around. The hill from Big 12 to P2 is nothing to them.

Ok St will just keep being Ok St. They weren't signing many kids ahead of SEC programs before. This conference is full of schools that have been doing more with less forever. Now, there just isn't the OU game.

My biggest concern is not that the quality goes down, but rather like basketball, there are basically no bad programs other than KU. And since we won't have the traditional elite power, we won't get the benefit of the doubt or credit outside of the computers. Just like how when Baylor, ISU, TCU, or OK St have won or been in contention for the Big 12, the narrative was it was bad that year.

Adding these pathetic PAC (and eventually ACC) programs would help in that, while adding Oregon and UW would help in the perception department

• Agree
Reactions: CascadeClone

iowa_wildcat

Jan 25, 2008
Ames
**** the PAC12, including the corner 4. Let them wallow in self pity for a while and then beg for admission to the Big 12 individually. They are on a high horse and are in a free fall to get back to ground 0. They are not bright enough to know that the sudden stop at the end of the fall will hurt.

timinatoria

Aug 29, 2008
Dodd's tweet makes no sense. NBC cannot negotiate with the Big XII as ESPN and FOX both have an exclusivity window for negotiations with the Big XII for another 16 months or so. There haven't been any talks between NBC and the Big XII. It would be illegal.