Big 12 Championship (March 6-7)

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I do wish the Big 12 would take the cue from NCAA in regard to finals order. Also, there's nothing in the rules stating you have to wrestle in the traditional weight class sequence at a tournament.

So why not build the drama, and set it up for team race matches at the end? Start with the matches that have no effect, then the matches with 1 team-race squad involved, then the matches with 2 team-race squads involved.

125 - UNI/Utah Valley
174 - Utah Valley/Northern Colorado

157 - ISU/NDSU
165 - NDSU/Wyoming
184 - UNI/Wyoming

133 - OSU/OU
141 - ISU/OU
149 - OSU/OU
197 - OSU/Wyoming
HWT - ISU/Wyoming

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

alabamacyclone

Feb 11, 2019
The results would not be much different given this scenario. You still have Heavyweight last, and depending on the earlier bouts, the two-team involvement may not exist by the time that you get to the upper weights anyway. The real hinge is 141. (I am making an assumption at 133!). If OU wins, probably no one else can win this thing. If Parker wins, then everyone is still in play. The way that I see it, barring a lot of bonus points, OU can win this with a single victory, anywhere. Everyone else needs to run the table - one loss and you are going to place 2-4.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
The results would not be much different given this scenario.

That wasn't my point. You set it up so that there's a greater chance of the team race being decided later in the session. Why have Fix/Madrigal go second, and Parker/Demas go third, when they can go in the back half? Because that's how we've always done it?

alabamacyclone

Feb 11, 2019
That wasn't my point. You set it up so that there's a greater chance of the team race being decided later in the session. Why have Fix/Madrigal go second, and Parker/Demas go third, when they can go in the back half? Because that's how we've always done it?
Point taken. Maybe it doesn't matter much, but I have been in duals (essentially that is what we have now) and as a wrestler the weight shakeup kind of throws the rhythm of where you wrestle in the lineup. I suppose at this level they are ready to go when they are called, and they would know hours in advance of when their match was up. Further to your point, a few years ago I recall Dake/Taylor being last, as it was a marquee matchup. Made for some drawn out suspense. I'm just not sure how many of those moments I got left in me!!!

alabamacyclone

Feb 11, 2019
For those of you that like suspense, and/or the potential numbers. Assume that up until heavy, ISU and WYO win all bouts. OSU wins theirs where they do not meet ISU/WYO. That would put ISU and WYO wrestling for the team title with 117.5 pts each, with OSU and OU tied for second with 120 points each and no chance for 1st. Winner of heavy gets 1st place at 121.5. Loser gets 4th at 117.5 points. Bonus points are gonna bust this up pretty quickly I fear.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I do wish the Big 12 would take the cue from NCAA in regard to finals order. Also, there's nothing in the rules stating you have to wrestle in the traditional weight class sequence at a tournament.

So why not build the drama, and set it up for team race matches at the end? Start with the matches that have no effect, then the matches with 1 team-race squad involved, then the matches with 2 team-race squads involved.

125 - UNI/Utah Valley
174 - Utah Valley/Northern Colorado

157 - ISU/NDSU
165 - NDSU/Wyoming
184 - UNI/Wyoming

133 - OSU/OU
141 - ISU/OU
149 - OSU/OU
197 - OSU/Wyoming
HWT - ISU/Wyoming
Regardless of your thoughts on this, college wrestling does such a crappy job in general at marketing itself to do move like this.

• Agree
Reactions: CyCloneRastlinG

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron