Big 10 expansion - it has begun.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
yep and so it begins. The dominoes will fall now. Goodbye Mizzou and Neb hello Utah and UNLV!!!

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Missouri has been actively lobbying to join for years, Tom Osborn pretty much said as much several times the last few months, and Rutgers has nothing to lose and everything to gain by the move.

I can see Missouri they are a nice fit in the conference. But Nebraska, right now they have a fairly easy shot at winning a division title in FB, then a good shot at a BCS game. In the Big 234343 they would have a tougher road to a division title. Conference title games and BCS games pay a lot of money and bring attention to your school.

3GenClone

Jun 28, 2009
Des Moines
Watch Mizzou basketball finish in the Top 3 in the conference their first year as the football team wins maybe 5 games.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
It's time to make the call if they leave - BIG-PAC-20.

But seriously, if they do leave, it's time for the Big 12 and Pac 10 to raid the MWC (NM, BYU, TCU, Utah or something like that) create 2 12 team conferences, and package a television station together. I'm sorry that provides enough TV sets and bodies in the area to create a station that can rival the Big 10 network for revenue.

huntt26

Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
IF the Big 12 collapses, we will not be in a BCS conference. Some how the Big 12 needs to counter offer or do something.

Keep in mind Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas are usually national title contenders in major sports - so that is on the Big 12's side for keeping the league alive and well.

It will be interesting...

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
Nebraska could be worried about the future of the Big 12. Now they have a chance to join a conference that makes a ton more money. Seems like a no-brainer.

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny
I can see Missouri they are a nice fit in the conference. But Nebraska, right now they have a fairly easy shot at winning a division title in FB, then a good shot at a BCS game. In the Big 234343 they would have a tougher road to a division title. Conference title games and BCS games pay a lot of money and bring attention to your school.

Really? You think it's easier to make a BCS game in the Big 12 than the Big 10? Really?

If it's split into 2 divisions (which would be the point of this) their division could be:
Iowa
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
Illinois
Wisconsin
Indiana

You're right, what a beast of a division? Only competition there is Iowa and Sometimes Wisconsin. Not really that different from the Big 12 North from a difficult division aspect.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
Guys it isn't an "if" scenario.
It is time to come up with a plan now, and if they didn't have one already than they truly are a barrel of idiots over there in the Athletic Department. Hopefully they have had a plan for awhile and are just now starting to put it into effect.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
So all mizzou has to do is give a year's notice and pay 9 million to the Big12? No Big 10 buy in?

NO BRAINER..
There football games will ALWAYS be on TV
TONS more exposure.
Playing in some very nice facilities.
No catering to the south.
get about 10 + more Million more to do all this.

WTH. Why wouldn't you do this?

trajanJ

Sep 11, 2008
I have a feeling the Big 12 and Pac 10 are talking about more than just a TV deal.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
So all mizzou has to do is give a year's notice and pay 9 million to the Big12? No Big 10 buy in?

NO BRAINER..
There will never be another Mizzou or Nebraska football game NOT Televised.
TONS more exposure.

Because some people are convinced that the old Big 8 rivalries take precedence over millions and millions of greenbacks... :biglaugh:

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER

NO BRAINER..
There will never be another Mizzou or Nebraska football game NOT Televised.
TONS more exposure.

They ARE doing this. Like i said, this isn't an IF scenario.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Really? You think it's easier to make a BCS game in the Big 12 than the Big 10? Really?

If it's split into 2 divisions (which would be the point of this) their division could be:
Iowa
Minnesota
Missouri
Nebraska
Illinois
Wisconsin
Indiana

You're right, what a beast of a division? Only competition there is Iowa and Sometimes Wisconsin. Not really that different from the Big 12 North from a difficult division aspect.

Right now who in the North is better than Iowa and Wisc year in year out. Missouri?

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Guys it isn't an "if" scenario.
It is time to come up with a plan now, and if they didn't have one already than they truly are a barrel of idiots over there in the Athletic Department. Hopefully they have had a plan for awhile and are just now starting to put it into effect.

I assume they have plans but it doesn't mean that they will work.

Our latest basketball recruit specifically mention playing in the Big 12. My first thought wqas "Not so fast". :sad:

galactawitz

Nov 27, 2007
Ames

As someone else stated, Nebraska would still be in a good situation to make a BCS bowl for several reasons.

1. I bet once the dust settles, the BCS will revamp the rule and allow 3 schools to enter from one conference.

2. Their division would probably not include OSU, Mich, or Penn State.

3. Nebraska (even though they currently aren't) still views themselves as an "elite" school in FB much the same as ND does. So in their minds they don't have to worry about losing to OSU or Mich much less Iowa. That worked well when ISU rolled into town last year.:wink:

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
How much credibility does this have? Excuse me if i dont automatically believe what some radio station says, given the reliability of a lot of our sports radio around here....

vmbplayer

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2008
Ankeny

NO BRAINER..
There football games will ALWAYS be on TV
TONS more exposure.

Exactly. That pays for itself in increased revenue in ONE YEAR. Why would they turn this down. They were ****** at getting snubbed for the Insight Bowl this year. They have all the other same issues we do with Beebe. This is a no brainier.