Big 10 expansion - it has begun.

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CarolinaCy

Apr 18, 2008
Not only is that only a theory, but even if "similar revenue" were true, it would be split up like 20 ways instead of the 11 ways it's split in the Big 10.

Just telling you what I read in that article. There are plenty of large markets in the Big 12/Pac 10 footprint to generate a significant source of revenue for 22 schools.

Houston
Dallas
Los Angeles
San Fran/Oakland
Phoenix
Seattle

I think a joint TV deal between the Big 12 and Pac 10 would likely generate similar revenues, PER SCHOOL, to the Big 10 Network.

In any case, UT currently pulls in around $11 or $12 million in TV revenue (I think I've read that somewhere), and Big 10 schools bank around $22 million. In 2008, UT's total athletic revenues were in the neighborhood of $123 million. Do you think they'd give up their "ownership" of the Big 12 to increase their revenue by 8%? I don't.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
even if we do go to a smaller conference is it really that bad of a thing... in the big 12 we usually get beat up all year and end up with nothing to show for it if we go to a little conference for once we could be the ones doing the beating up and even though its not big 12 competition at the end of the seasons its more likely to get into the ncaa tourny and bowl games and then play the big boys. how many times last year did you see teams in bowl games that you thought isu could beat that where there becuase of their record in this crap conference same thing goes for basketball no matter how this thing fans out i dont see it horrible for isu
Please take out the Chizik days and over the last 15 years rethink this thought.

UNIGuy4Cy

Nov 11, 2009
Just telling you what I read in that article. There are plenty of large markets in the Big 12/Pac 10 footprint to generate a significant source of revenue for 22 schools.

Houston
Dallas
Los Angeles
San Fran/Oakland
Phoenix
Seattle

I think a joint TV deal between the Big 12 and Pac 10 would likely generate similar revenues, PER SCHOOL, to the Big 10 Network.

In any case, UT currently pulls in around $11 or $12 million in TV revenue (I think I've read that somewhere), and Big 10 schools bank around $22 million. In 2008, UT's total athletic revenues were in the neighborhood of $123 million. Do you think they'd give up their "ownership" of the Big 12 to increase their revenue by 8%? I don't.
It would bring in more revenue than the Big 10.

TheGovernator

Nov 5, 2008

Houston
Dallas
Los Angeles
San Fran/Oakland
Phoenix
Seattle

There is no doubt that those towns have the population to potentially help out with adding TV sets. However, when I look at that list, I see nothing but pro sports towns--especially those on the PST zone.

However, I think if the network can manage to add their network to every basic tier to the major television providers in those cities, schools like ISU could see a nice increase to their revenues. I think there are just too many plates at the table for all of them to get the kind of money Big Ten schools get, though.

As far as the rest of the thread, there is absolutely no way, no how ISU gets an invite to the Big Ten conference on academics alone. They could be rated above Ivy League schools and it still wouldn't matter. That's not a slight against ISU, as I think Iowa would have a hard time justifying their entry if the tables were switched.

Personally, I think if the Big Ten HAS to expand, they should go to 14 teams. UNL, Mizzou and one other school not named Rutgers. I think that is an incredibly dumb move if an invite were to go out to that school. If they had a national following like Nebraska does, maybe, but they have their own little niche carved out in New Jersey, and that's about it.

I still haven't warmed up to the idea of the Big Ten expanding. If I had it my way, it would stay exactly how it is.

Cy83ag

Mar 20, 2010
Earlham
Has anyone thought of going east if MU & NU leave? Would say, Louisville and Cincinnati be good fits?

Help Support Us

Become a patron