Big 10 = 6 invites = Say What? (long)

klerme

Apr 11, 2006
In past years, the Selection Committee has made the attempt to claim that they look at road wins both in and out of a conference as being a big factor that they look at when making the "tough" decisions? Obviously, that doesn't apply this year.

Out of the bottom 9 teams in the Big Ten, only 1 team had a road win against a team that made the NCAA tournament (I am including both in and out-of-conference games). That win was by Michigan over Miami (Ohio) - a team that is only in because they won their conference tournament.

Indiana, MSU, Illinois and Purdue combined to have 0 quality road wins. Although MSU did defeat Texas in New York in early season, the only true road win of note was Indiana winning at UConn. Meanwhile, Drexel had wins at Villanova and Creighton, as well as victories at Syracuse and Vermont (who won at Boston College) and the Missouri Valley Conference, who had a 5-4 record against the Big 10, including a victory over Wisconsin, gets 2 teams in the Dance because they don't have bad teams such as Minnesota, PSU and Northwestern in their conference. The also-rans of the MVC had wins such as Indiana State beating Purdue and Butler.

Now, despite my rant, the NCAA selection committee has done their normal job of placing the controversial major school 12 seed (Illinois) in a position to make the Sweet 16 by playing a ridiculously high-seeded Virginia Tech team (whose losses include to powerhouses, Western Michigan, Marshall, George Washington, Southern Illinois and to NC State 3 times, including by 25 points a couple of weeks ago). They then have the chance to play Southern Ill or Holy Cross, in a gym they are familiar with in Columbus, Ohio (Big 10 country). This way, if Illinois wins the first and possibly second round, the selection committee can say "I told you so." This is similar to what they have done in the past with Alabama and Auburn as lower seeds with questionable tournament qualifications.

Erik4Cy

Jan 22, 2007
Johnston, IA
www.cyclones.com
I could understand 5 (absolute TOPS) from the big 10...6 is pathetic...illinois has no business being in there, I don't give a crap how they do in the tourney, THEY DON'T DESERVE IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. Purdue and Mich St. were completely borderline, so if 1 or maybe both got in, I could live with it...but putting Illinois in the place of much more deserving teams like some better record mid majors or schools like Syracuse or Kansas St. is ridiculous...sorry, the committee did a REALLY bad job this year...and hey iowa...you still were never a bubble team, stop complaining about NIT "snubbing" you, it makes you sound more pathetic than u already are.

EggMcClone

Mar 19, 2006
Michigan
mylifeinthebasement.blogspot.com
Has anybody posted the Sports Guy column from yesterday ripping on the Big 10?
As for the Big Ten, its second-best team (Wisconsin) isn't as good as Kansas, Texas or Texas A&M, and I wasn't even remotely impressed by Purdue (a No. 9 seed), Indiana (No. 7) or Illinois (No. 12), although I do think Michigan State (No. 11) has a chance to crack the Sweet 16 because of Tom Izzo and Drew Neitzel. Regardless, how did the Big Ten send six teams to the tournament when most of its games had the same disjointed, scrappy, uncomfortable flow of a woman's basketball game? Did you ever watch a Big Ten game that didn't involve OSU and think to yourself, "Wow, this is some high-caliber hoops!" Oklahoma State would have been the third-best team in that conference and it's headed to the NIT. Same for Kansas State. And Syracuse. Final note: Anyone who toggled between the OSU-Wisconsin and Texas-Kansas games knows which conference was better this season. That Texas-Kansas game was the most hard-fought basketball game I've seen since the Heat-Mavs NBA Finals last June ... and Texas was running on fumes. Meanwhile, OSU and Wisconsin were having the basketball equivalent of a rock fight on CBS. Gimme a break. The Big Ten is awful. Don't say I didn't warn you.
Some pretty good smack in there... He also called the Big 12 the most underrated conference.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
Has anybody posted the Sports Guy column from yesterday ripping on the Big 10?

He also took some pretty good shots at the Pac-10. My favorite is:

Anyway, watching all these games and comparing the conferences to one another, I don't see how anyone who knows anything about basketball could argue that the Pac-10 and Big Ten are better than the Big East, ACC or even the Big 12 (my vote for "most underrated conference"). UCLA, Oregon and Ohio State are all good. After that? It's a suckfest.

There you have it...a "suckfest"...truer words have never been spoken...

joepublic

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny
When crap like this happens, I always remind myself that college sports is an entertainment BUSINESS, more than it is sport.

darts180

Apr 12, 2006
When crap like this happens, I always remind myself that college sports is an entertainment BUSINESS, more than it is sport.

CBS has paid billions for the NCAA tournament. They aren't going to spend that kind of money, unless there is an understanding that their voices will be heard. TV sets are important, and there are more in the Pac 10 (not great) and the Big 10 (absolutely pathetic) areas.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
CBS has paid billions for the NCAA tournament. They aren't going to spend that kind of money, unless there is an understanding that their voices will be heard. TV sets are important, and there are more in the Pac 10 (not great) and the Big 10 (absolutely pathetic) areas.

Yep, you're right darts. Don't think it was a coincidence that 6 Big 10 teams got in on merit but rather because of the large market the Big 10 has.

The NCAA tournament is about standard in America anymore...everything is politics and money.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
RPI-RPI-RPI-RPI
This is the measure that the committee and member schools have decided to use as a selection method. It is a well publicized measurement that incluides the teams record, the strength of their opponents and the strength of schedule of their opponents.
Illinios RPI is 29. Their non-conference strength of schedule is 33, which is better than any Big 12 team. If we the Big 12 want more teams in the NCAA, the conference as a whole needs to start playing tougher non-conference schedules.
Complaining about the RPI does no good because that is the measurement tool that the committe has told people that they will be using. Instead schools need to adapt their non-conference schedules to maximize ther RPI.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
RPI-RPI-RPI-RPI
This is the measure that the committee and member schools have decided to use as a selection method. It is a well publicized measurement that incluides the teams record, the strength of their opponents and the strength of schedule of their opponents.
Illinios RPI is 29. Their non-conference strength of schedule is 33, which is better than any Big 12 team. If we the Big 12 want more teams in the NCAA, the conference as a whole needs to start playing tougher non-conference schedules.
Complaining about the RPI does no good because that is the measurement tool that the committe has told people that they will be using. Instead schools need to adapt their non-conference schedules to maximize ther RPI.

Like Air Force's RPI of 28?
Or Missouri State's RPI of 36?
Or Bradley's RPI of 38?

I could keep going as well. There were many more deserving teams than Illinios. The committee has consistantly said they will take mediocre Big 10 teams over good mid-majors.

klerme

Apr 11, 2006
RPI-RPI-RPI-RPI

That would be true, except in how it is practiced. Last year Missouri State had an RPI in the top 30. This year, they were again about 30 and Drexel was almost the same. At the end of the non-conference season, the MVC was the 2nd or 3rd rated conference in RPI, yet fell to 5th by the time the tournament rolled around.

However, I will give the selection committee credit in that they probably realized that they were going to receive criticism for allowing the B10 to have 6 teams, so look at the matchups. Illinois v. a Va Tech team that has multiple bad losses (W. Mich., Marshall) in Columbus (a Big 10 arena), Indiana v. Gonzaga without their best player and post presence, Michigan St. v. Marquette without their 2nd leading scorer and part of a dynamic guard duo (McNeal), and Purdue against an underachieving Arizona team that many thought should have been seeded lower than 8. In the tourney it is all about matchups, and the committee made sure that the B10 received favorable matchups so as to make them look good when all is said and done.

CyCy

Nov 7, 2006
Every Big 12 team and every Big 10 team with an RPI of 50 or better made the tournament.