Biffhammer - bashes ISU

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Actually it wasn't a decent article because it lacks common sense. Basically, he says that it wasn't okay for ISU to do something that every single other major university, not to mention every single business, in the United States does - take out loans on projected future earnings. You must have missed the part where Texas has in excess of $200 million in debt. So it's okay for them to have debt, and significant amounts, but not ISU?

The guy clearly knows nothing about business yet tries to make himself out to be an expert.

No, the angle I took is that ISU is INCREASING expenditures drastically based on those future earnings.

Senolcyc

Apr 20, 2010
What's a Biffhammer?

Why do people scour the internet for garbage.........and then post it here?

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
All that matters is Fox and ESPN, they want the Big 12 to stay together no matter if we lose OU and Texas. They want to avoid superconferences. There will be BCS suitors at the door to fill in with the forgotten 5 sticking together, the nucleus, sticking together.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009

nrg4isu

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 29, 2009
Springfield, Illinois
What I really took offense to was the whiny posters who got their undies in a wad over what he wrote. (We sounded like a bunch of Hawkeyes)

From an unbiased (non Cyclone perspective) it was a decent article. It's not that ISU is spending money like we normally do but we vastly increased our spending based on a revenue stream that wasn't solid (we had just saw NU and CU leave the conf) and witnessed MU trying to.

I'm sure Deace had some nice points about why we should spend money. But I also think the discussion can be had without us lynch mobbing someone for having a different viewpoint.

Do I agree with either 100% at this point...no. Yes, spending money to keep up is a good thing., but so is being fiscally responsible. I don't know how you balance those two. (and that's why I'm not an AD)

I'm just gonna come out and say it. You and Biffhammer are coming under fire because it's YOUR viewpoint that is extreme. You may not think so, but there are many people on this board that are fiscal conservatives and do not like the ideas of overspending/going into debt/etc and yet they generally understand the situation and generally have no problem with what's happened so far.

Reactions: Wesley

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This sounds like a very eloquent explanation and makes perfect sense. But I'm sure a guy named Biff would know more about it.
If an astute bank loaned ISU the money to build a videoboard and the regents approved it, it must be more than a toilet paper agreement. The ESPMN contract is a legal contract ifg 1B was involved.

As far as Tam taking a hike, maybe few members protested much in the past, but maybe times have changed. There were such lawsuits along the atlantic conferences already last year. Homey cannot just pick up his marbles and go play in another circle.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Actually when you dig into this, we are not increasing dramatically. We are bonding for 10 years. With today's very low interest rates this would put payments at that 4.6MM per year area. We typically spend several million a year on improvements, so you would basically be saying we won't do anything more for 10 years.

Also, when we get donations, large sums that is, they go into the endowment and we use interest income to pay off things. So if push came to shove, we would just have to write a check out of the endowment to pay off any leftovers.

Far from rocket science and far from over-extending ourselves.

Reactions: skibumspe

Tedcyclone

Oct 27, 2009
West Des Moines
Love how he points out only ISU, when im pretty sure 90% of NCAA teams do the same thing. You have to, to survive in college athletics today. Ill bet he pays cash for his cars, and home(s)... yeah right, guy is BIFF blowing smoke Up peoples butt to get some attention.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
No, the angle I took is that ISU is INCREASING expenditures drastically based on those future earnings.

That's what businesses do - invest increased revenue streams in the business. And ISU has a lot of investing in assets (in this case, facilities) if it wants to be competitive with it's competition - that's what happens when your facilities are 30 years behind your competitors (blatant overexaggeration in some cases) because previous administrations during the 1980s and much of the 1990s decided it just wasn't worth it. Look where that left us - for every step forward our AD takes forward our competition is still 2-3 steps ahead of us.

RandomFan

Aug 11, 2009
Do I hate what is being said, absolutely.

Iowa State: I'm Here Because You Need Me Now - I Am The 12th Man

But then I try and take a rational thought to what they are saying and it does make me consider things. Should we be drastically increasing our expenditures when we truly don't know if that $$ will be there?

Does anyone ever truly know that the money will be there? Is there such a thing as a 100% sure thing? No, these expenses are risks. Just like a vast majority of capital expenditures are.

Thankfully we have men smarter than Biffhammer deciding whether these risks are worth taking. ISU admins and the Board of Regents approved these expenditures. I am willing to trust their judgement over that of some internet blogger.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Does anyone ever truly know that the money will be there? Is there such a thing as a 100% sure thing? No, these expenses are risks. Just like a vast majority of capital expenditures are.

Thankfully we have men smarter than Biffhammer deciding whether these risks are worth taking. ISU admins and the Board of Regents approved these expenditures. I am willing to trust their judgement over that of some internet blogger.

And rational people can agree to disagree.

Look at the comments in this thread and on his page now. People still think this money is a sure thing and it's most definitely not.

That's what bothers me. This conf crap can go either way. If the Big 12 implodes and Fox renegotiates and that money (that we don't have yet) is gone what are we going to do? Yes, I'm glad other people are making these decisions and not me.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
If Biff were running things at ISU we would be playing football at Clyde Williams Field and basketball at the Old Armory. There would be no new campus buildings for education. We would only have Morrill Hall and the old Alumni Hall on Campus. No MWL or any student housing anywhere. No infrastructure at ISU and an enrollment of 1,500.

Biff lives in a van down by the river. He works as a Motivational Speaker.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
And rational people can agree to disagree.

Look at the comments in this thread and on his page now. People still think this money is a sure thing and it's most definitely not.

That's what bothers me. This conf crap can go either way. If the Big 12 implodes and Fox renegotiates and that money (that we don't have yet) is gone what are we going to do? Yes, I'm glad other people are making these decisions and not me.

The new money was to get us up to that 16-17MM a year area. We used to get 7-8MM a year just the last couple years. This amount is the area of MTN west money now. PAC, big ten and sec are in that 20-25MM a year area. So when someone like the mtn west renegotiated tv deals, they will be in that 7-8 area. Like I said, when you spread this out, it not that excessive of expenditures.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Do I hate what is being said, absolutely.

Iowa State: I'm Here Because You Need Me Now - I Am The 12th Man

But then I try and take a rational thought to what they are saying and it does make me consider things. Should we be drastically increasing our expenditures when we truly don't know if that $$ will be there?
Yes, we should. Boone built a stadium, UT spent $400M on new facilities in past few years, MO is on the move. In the Big 12, ALL the schools are borrowing on the future to build facilities. We are not special in our projects. Remember, two years ago we were one big happy family. When we go bankrupt, then we can freeze salaries, lay off people, stop building. Right now we are in an arms race.

Last edited:

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Yes, we should. Boone built a stadium, UT spent $400M on new facilities in past few years, MO is on the move. In the Big 12, ALL the schools are borrowing on the future to build facilities. We are not special in our projects. Remember, two years ago we were one big happy family. When we go bankrupt, then we can freeze salaries, lay off people, stop building. Right now we are in an arms race.

That's a valid point except UT is well, UT and basically prints money. OU has TBoone propping em up.

Let's focus on the Faithful Five for a second or even BU who stands to lose as much as we do in the alignment crap. To me that's what you point out in a rebuttal to his article. If the other 4 (five with us) are spending money the same way then what we're saying is ISU has to also (keep it's foot on the gas) to keep up in the league. It's not about being fiscally sound, it's about keeping up with your competition or getting buried by them.

madcityCY

Nov 29, 2006
Madison, WI

Exactly. We have to go all-in, (nearly) bet the house to reach our aspirations and grow the program. Hell, growing a business is always more risky than standing pat. But the old adage is never more true: no risk, no reward. No risk assures our irrelevant status.

But rest assured, we have safety-nets. While it's always possible (but unlikely IMO) that we will take a step back, we will not implode and cease to exist. Students will still enroll to get an education, we will still have sports to cheer for.