Bicyclists fined $195 for stop sign violations

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
If you've ever wondered......this is why people hate you. Let me guess, when you're driving in a car you think it's ok to go 45 in the passing lane because you're not breaking any law?

do you comprehend what I was saying or just trying to pick a fight?

I do not agree with the notion that anyone does this...but it's legal. Does that make more sense?

And nobody hates me for doing this...because I'm not inclined to put myself in harms way by riding at 16-18 mph in the middle of highway 6.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
do you comprehend what I was saying or just trying to pick a fight?

I do not agree with the notion that anyone does this...but it's legal. Does that make more sense?

And nobody hates me for doing this...because I'm not inclined to put myself in harms way by riding at 16-18 mph in the middle of highway 6.

It's not whether you do it or not, it's the attitude "Well it's the law!".

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
It's not whether you do it or not, it's the attitude "Well it's the law!".

This particular law isn't an attitude...it's a fact. You don't happen to agree with it...I think I get that. Within the context of this entire thread, that is the discussion...whether a law was broken. I don't think I've argued that anyone was smart by ignoring bike trail stop signs or riding down the middle of Hickman...but from a legal perspective, there is nothing criminal.

So basically anything you disagree with, even if legal, makes you hateful towards the person of the opposite opinion. You must be a real joy to be around.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I try to avoid busy roads because I don't trust speeding motorists to NOT hit me. If I have to take a route with heavy traffic and there's a sidewalk, I'm using the sidewalk.
I trust busy roads more than the county roads I ride. people on busy roads are usually paying attention to their surrounds. people on the ocunty roads are usually looking at the crops, their neighbors yard, their phone, day dreaming, etc. I just bought flashers for my bike so everyone can see me a mile away

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Explain to me how it is different? For those that say they can't afford a car, that is why there is public transportation in every city in America. Buses, trains, subways, etc.

I ride all the time but I would never do it on a busy street for several reasons.
Hmmm, we are talking about Iowa right?

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
If I have offended you, I apologize. I sincerely do but wouldn't the safest place for a person on a bicycle be on a trail or a bike lane designed for a bike? I don't think that is out of touch with reality, just common sense.
I think your view has some blinders on and doesn't account for 90% of the state of Iowa. Heck, where I live, the longest bike trail is 3 miles. to go somewhere for an enjoyable ride lasting more than 10 minutes, I would have to drive an hour. Even then the trails aren't the greatest.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I trust busy roads more than the county roads I ride. people on busy roads are usually paying attention to their surrounds. people on the ocunty roads are usually looking at the crops, their neighbors yard, their phone, day dreaming, etc. I just bought flashers for my bike so everyone can see me a mile away

Don't assume that is going to do the job. A buddy of mine was splattered and left for dead by a hit and run driver on a country road and he had his bike lit up like a Christmas tree. The good news is that he went on RAGBRAI with us this year (less than two years later) for his very first time and rode every mile. Screw you, hit and run driver!

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I'm going to guess this is the area in question also:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/G...87d4a5a73f:0xc3a4986d59fe1ec0!5m1!1e3!6m1!1e1

As you can see, we are not talking about the intersection of Lincoln Way and Duff here.

There is another double-crossing nearer to Adel:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/G...87d4a5a73f:0xc3a4986d59fe1ec0!5m1!1e3!6m1!1e1

In this case, the NE crossing is paved and does have some auto traffic. However, you can see any potential traffic a long ways off. The second SW crossing is a very tricky loose gravel crossing.
Holy crapola look at those trails!

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
I have friends that for YEARS that have crushed 12 packs of beer every time they go boat or ice fishing, and never once have they been checked.
I have pheasant hunted for YEARS in ditches and on bike trails, and have never been approached by the DNR.

It's not being whiny but if the officer is going to set up for hours to check stop signs, I hope he treats other outdoor activities the same.
Boat, fish, pheasant hunt and bike. I get stopped and checked a couple times a year boating. Have my fishing and hunting license checked at least once every two years. Never been stopped on a bike. Some areas are much differnt checking hunting/fishing licenses. Growing up in clinton county, we would get hunting and fishing licenses checked ,multiple times a year. i think because it was a border county. Here in NW Iowa, I get checked once every 2-3. Getting checked boating is a regularity

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
This is interesting... http://www.bikeiowa.com/News/6806/m...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Not taking the drivers side, but I'm not sure what he exactly did wrong there to receive a fine. He moves over for the biker (obviously he could of gotten over further, but is that a law?). The question is how fast was he going? DId he slow down a little bit while passing the biker, and speed up once he got around creating the smoke plume, or did he step on it to be an ******* and create the smoke plume?
The biker who complained and got the guy a ticket is a big reason people don't like bikers. The guy got over, gave him plenty of room and passed him. The plume of smoke could very well have come from him accelerating after slowing down for the biker.
My goodness. I fhtis biker complains becaus eof that, I would hate to see what he did around here

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Don't assume that is going to do the job. A buddy of mine was splattered and left for dead by a hit and run driver on a country road and he had his bike lit up like a Christmas tree. The good news is that he went on RAGBRAI with us this year (less than two years later) for his very first time and rode every mile. Screw you, hit and run driver!
Oh, I understand that! I have been hit before.

MrPeske

Apr 11, 2006
downtown Des Moines
I'll look like an *** for saying this, but I read about this earlier and couldn't have been happier. Bike riders like to get on their soapboxes all the time about how they should have every right a car has and blah, blah, blah but I never see any of them perform any of the same safety or legal requirements as a vehicle.

We live in Waukee and it's like the bike capital of the state. If you want to be treated like a vehicle and force me to go slow behind you on a major road, you damn well better stop at every stop sign or light and not be crazy crossing entry/exit drives leading into retail joints. You want to be treated like a big kid, then act like one and not selectively pick what you like.

The Waukee bike trail is dangerous. I'd rather just ride the shoulder on Unversity/Hwy 6.

Do you know its more dangerous riding a sidepath (wide sidewalk) when you are going the opposite way of travel? So in Waukee, if you are riding east. Drivers coming from the south that are trying to turn onto Hwy 6 westbound wont look west before turning, they look east/left for oncoming cars. So as a cyclists, you have to know that they wont look for you. You either slow down, establish eye contact or you wait...

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I just moved to Waukee from Omaha a few weeks ago near the trail. Been riding it daily just to get some fresh air for a few hours and just noticed today I'm suppose to be some sort of trail fee.