Bicyclists fined $195 for stop sign violations

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
I worked at el Bait Shop for awhile and while it's certainly not all of them, a great deal of bicycle riders that would come through were absolute idiots. I've got too many stories to ramble on about them here.

Secondly, we recently moved out near Cumming, just a few blocks from the Great Western Trail. I've been running on the trail since we moved there. For a community who advocates so passionately about sharing the road, bicyclists are absolute ****** to runners. I've been sworn at, glared at, swerved at and clipped all while running on the trail. I don't run in the middle of the trail, or even in the middle of the right side. I usually keep right next to the gravel.

For me, it's the handful of jackasses that ruin the biking community and leave a bad taste in my mouth.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
As pointed out a couple times these tickets will likely get thrown out. The stop signs on the trail don't fall under the same jurisdiction as city streets. Kinda like blowing thru that Stop sign in the Home Depot parking lot.
I had my sister in law share with us that she never stops for stop signs in parking lots because a former boyfriend who was a wanna-be cop told her that she didn't have to. All I could say is whomever she hits and injures/kills when she doesn't stop for one of them is going to get a lot of money out of her and her insurance company.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I'd pay money to have bicycle riders still actually say on your left. I bet 1 out of every 10 does it.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I worked at el Bait Shop for awhile and while it's certainly not all of them, a great deal of bicycle riders that would come through were absolute idiots. I've got too many stories to ramble on about them here.

Secondly, we recently moved out near Cumming, just a few blocks from the Great Western Trail. I've been running on the trail since we moved there. For a community who advocates so passionately about sharing the road, bicyclists are absolute ****** to runners. I've been sworn at, glared at, swerved at and clipped all while running on the trail. I don't run in the middle of the trail, or even in the middle of the right side. I usually keep right next to the gravel.

For me, it's the handful of jackasses that ruin the biking community and leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Exactly. That is why I, as a cyclist, get so ****** off at those who don't follow the rules and give us all a bad name.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
I'll look like an *** for saying this, but I read about this earlier and couldn't have been happier. Bike riders like to get on their soapboxes all the time about how they should have every right a car has and blah, blah, blah but I never see any of them perform any of the same safety or legal requirements as a vehicle.

We live in Waukee and it's like the bike capital of the state. If you want to be treated like a vehicle and force me to go slow behind you on a major road, you damn well better stop at every stop sign or light and not be crazy crossing entry/exit drives leading into retail joints. You want to be treated like a big kid, then act like one and not selectively pick what you like.

Yep you do. Well, they do have the same rights. When on a road, they are considered a vehicle. You can stomp your feet and rub your eyes all you want, but it's true. As for a soapbox, help me understand what soapbox you are referring to, the rights they DON'T have and how they NEVER perform which safety or legal requirements. I hate people like you who generalize a group. Kind of like me assuming you are some uppity white ******* from the west side because Waukee is full of them, huh?

The fact is, many cyclists do their best to play by the rules and avoid confrontation and DEATH. Just like any activity, some don't do it as well. AND, this entire thread was predicated on the trail system in Guthrie County where there are stop signs on their part of the trail. The Dallas County portion is primarily Yield signs until you get out towards Dallas Center.

Typical west-side attitude that keeps things from progressing. And I live in the same town as you. You need to relax and be a little more tolerant. My guess is this happens to you next to never and you blow it up when it does.

CyinCo

Mar 24, 2006
Clive, IA
When ever I read threads like this, I realize how many a-holes with 4,000 lbs vehicles despise people riding (legally) on the road with a 20lbs bike. I'm convinced I'll use bike trails or stay on sidewalks unless it is a residential 25 mph street. Not because I think that is the way it should be....but rather for my own safety. There aren't just drivers not paying attention. There are drives who truly have it out for cyclists. Gee, who is going to win that collision?

I also participated in Urban Assault a few weeks back where a fellow cyclist was hit and killed by a drunk driver, who fled the scene. Roads might be legal for bikes to be on....but too many road raging drivers who have it out for us. Don't risk it.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
I'd pay money to have bicycle riders still actually say on your left. I bet 1 out of every 10 does it.

I say it almost all the time but 9 out of 10 joggers have head phones in and don't hear me.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Did you get your town shirt?

I love cumming!!!

wifes BIL tried to get me to wear his in front of our MIL, I knew she would have never let me walk away from that one so I wouldn't.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Yep you do. Well, they do have the same rights. When on a road, they are considered a vehicle. You can stomp your feet and rub your eyes all you want, but it's true. As for a soapbox, help me understand what soapbox you are referring to, the rights they DON'T have and how they NEVER perform which safety or legal requirements. I hate people like you who generalize a group. Kind of like me assuming you are some uppity white ******* from the west side because Waukee is full of them, huh?

The fact is, many cyclists do their best to play by the rules and avoid confrontation and DEATH. Just like any activity, some don't do it as well. AND, this entire thread was predicated on the trail system in Guthrie County where there are stop signs on their part of the trail. The Dallas County portion is primarily Yield signs until you get out towards Dallas Center.

Typical west-side attitude that keeps things from progressing. And I live in the same town as you. You need to relax and be a little more tolerant. My guess is this happens to you next to never and you blow it up when it does.

1 - I'm incredibly liberal and tolerant of all people. Did I generalize for sake of that post, absolutely! Just like I hear bike riders constantly generalize about "drivers". I hate to break the news to you, but we humans like to talk in generalizations to make a point.

2 - At my work, we have a very healthy bike program and probably 80% of the people I work with ride their bikes constantly, so I hear from a LOT of bike riders.

3 - Living in Waukee and working in Johnston, I experience a ton of bikers along the way and have no problem with probably half of them - you know, the ones that obey the laws and treat vehicles with as much respect as they want to be treated with. The ones I do have a problem with are the ones that think they should slowly ride down the middle of Hickman when there is a great bike trail 5 feet away, or the ones that blow through red lights crossing 156th, Alice's Road, or Warrior Lane and nearly cause accidents without a care in the world, or the ones that go 30 mph across a driveway going into a major retailer like Hy-Vee without regard for others.

4 - Typical west-side attitude that keeps things from progressing? You do realize that the "west-siders" that you generalized are far more progressive than probably any other "generalized bucket" of people in the metro? I'm a progressive liberal and love that people like to bike, but I also love people that like to obey the law and not **** and moan about being treated equally when they themselves don't want to treat the laws equally.

5 - The article couldn't have better displayed the arrogance SOME bikers have - look at the guy that's in charge of the trail safety and upkeep. He ****** and whined about getting a ticket for willfully blowing through multiple stop signs because it would have "inconvenienced" him to stop. How about setting an example for bike safety and sharing of the roadway?

But I'm just a head in the sand, west-sider that hates progress... or something like that.

ThatllDoCy

Sep 20, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
www.katchllc.com

You've hit it on the head, in a perfect world you would have separate lanes on roads for Bikes, and also separate trails for bikes in parks. I don't ride the Lake Shore Drive trail because people will just walk right across it without looking. I have had to lock up my wheels way too often. I've seen kids playing in the trail, tourists just stopping and spreading out to take pics with zero regard for the fact there are people running, biking and rollerblading. It's not a sidewalk.

The issue is the disparate speed that bikes have compared to cars and runners. Frankly on a street you don't really ride around the cars that much unless it is congested or a bus that makes frequent stops. On a trail you are zooming by runners, roller bladers and walkers. So you are either in danger or putting others in danger. The road is the best place because you actually spend very little time around the cars, and unless you are a heck of a rider or in a large group you are going slow by car standards.

If I had my way they would put signs up around the city that explicitly lay out the expectations and laws to remind people to be courteous, and this goes for cyclists and motorists.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
I say it almost all the time but 9 out of 10 joggers have head phones in and don't hear me.

Drives me crazy - walkers and joggers have headphones in, don't hear me say "On your left", and then swear at me when I go by because it scares them. I about flattened a small dog this year because the dog heard me and ran right in front of me, but its owner was oblivious until I slammed on my brakes.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
It's amazing how worked up people get on CF - doesn't matter the topic, some people take it to the extreme.

I see people being idiots on bicycles, but I see a greater proportion of people being idiots in cars. Unfortunately, I think it's human nature to become stupid when getting on/in any mode of transportation.

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
1 - I'm incredibly liberal and tolerant of all people. Did I generalize for sake of that post, absolutely! Just like I hear bike riders constantly generalize about "drivers". I hate to break the news to you, but we humans like to talk in generalizations to make a point.

2 - At my work, we have a very healthy bike program and probably 80% of the people I work with ride their bikes constantly, so I hear from a LOT of bike riders.

3 - Living in Waukee and working in Johnston, I experience a ton of bikers along the way and have no problem with probably half of them - you know, the ones that obey the laws and treat vehicles with as much respect as they want to be treated with. The ones I do have a problem with are the ones that think they should slowly ride down the middle of Hickman when there is a great bike trail 5 feet away, or the ones that blow through red lights crossing 156th, Alice's Road, or Warrior Lane and nearly cause accidents without a care in the world, or the ones that go 30 mph across a driveway going into a major retailer like Hy-Vee without regard for others.

4 - Typical west-side attitude that keeps things from progressing? You do realize that the "west-siders" that you generalized are far more progressive than probably any other "generalized bucket" of people in the metro? I'm a progressive liberal and love that people like to bike, but I also love people that like to obey the law and not **** and moan about being treated equally when they themselves don't want to treat the laws equally.

5 - The article couldn't have better displayed the arrogance SOME bikers have - look at the guy that's in charge of the trail safety and upkeep. He ****** and whined about getting a ticket for willfully blowing through multiple stop signs because it would have "inconvenienced" him to stop. How about setting an example for bike safety and sharing of the roadway?

But I'm just a head in the sand, west-sider that hates progress... or something like that.

1-Generalizations are nothing more than uninformed opinions. You clearly stated you were happy to hear of the tickets because (insert generalizations here). Not a valid argument IMO. Basically, because a few bikers may be jerks or do things you disagree with, albeit legal in some cases, you want what could have been an otherwise good biker to get a citation.

2-ok?

3-I live and work in the same places you do...and have the exact same opinions...with one exception. I recognize that the biker who is in the middle of Hickman, however unsafe he/she may be, has the right to be there. However inconvenient it may be, it's the law. (unless there is some provision I'm not aware of that says a certain minimum speed has to be obtained that a bicycle can't reach in that specific speed zone)

4-yes, I do realize that. I was being sarcastic in an attempt to cast light on what I felt was a ridiculous generalization. Although you may knowingly say something that is intentionally over-the-top, others don't and this is a sensitive subject right now...because in a situation like we just had with Wade Franck being killed, I think specifics and intelligent dialogue need to be had, rather than hyperbole. That means the biking community AND the non-bikers need to find some common ground, not cause a divide by lumping people into categories based on activity alone.

5-you are absolutely right. I was there that day and heard first hand the arrogance being exhibited. I didn't receive a citation because I wasn't breaking what some people say were laws (I think we'll see that they in fact are not laws and these tickets are bogus, btw), but I was embarrassed by the way everyone acted...both the DNR officer and the bikers. Although, to the credit of some, the bikers who received citations were not ********. Both bikers and drivers need to set examples of each, I agree.

We probably agree on more than we don't on the subject but much like you don't like being called out as non-progressive, I don't like being lumped into a negatively construed cyclist category. Doesn't feel very good especially when neither of us know one another.

That being said, I'm sure you've passed me on your way to or from work. I appreciate you keeping an eye out for me...I'll be on the trail except in those areas where no trail exists. :)

abe2010

Jan 14, 2009
Story City, IA
I saw this on the news last night. I don't know what the truck did wrong, 1) he passed the biker in a double yellow line zone and if that was me I wouldn't have gotten all the way over because of the double yellow lines and 2) he is clearly passed the biker when he steps on the gas to accelerate (as evidenced by the black deisel smoke).

Isn't it illegal to pass with a double yellow center line?

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014
Rights they have lobbied for and should probably be rolled back significantly

I agree...part of that lobby needs to include information on how some parts of the world, where the population is more dense, accepts bikers more readily than the US does. Example is Denmark.

In the end, it needs to be about safety and not pride.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I recognize that the biker who is in the middle of Hickman, however unsafe he/she may be, has the right to be there. However inconvenient it may be, it's the law. (unless there is some provision I'm not aware of that says a certain minimum speed has to be obtained that a bicycle can't reach in that specific speed zone)

If you've ever wondered......this is why people hate you. Let me guess, when you're driving in a car you think it's ok to go 45 in the passing lane because you're not breaking any law?

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
One other thought, all of Europe isn't the utopia for bikers that everyone makes it out to be. You would be 10x as safe in a place like Des Moines riding a bike as compared to a place like Rome.