Best Food Show?

TRZA

Mar 4, 2009
West Side of Des Moines
kcci2.jpg

cyrevkah

Apr 12, 2008
Ames, IA
Actual Food Show: I've always liked Man vs. Food. I've eaten at a couple of the restaurants that Adam had been to and found them to be pretty good. Haven't done any of the challenges that he's done, but that may be a stretch for me.

Reality Food Show: Hell's Kitchen. Not only is it entertaining to watch, but the format has been virtually unchanged since Season 1.

I have enjoyed HK before, but when trying to watch this season it seems like the only reason any of the cooks were choosen was for the drama of it...To me it seems to be less about who is the better prepared for the job and more about the in-fighting of the teams. (I understand that there needs to be some drama...but ugh)

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
I have enjoyed HK before, but when trying to watch this season it seems like the only reason any of the cooks were choosen was for the drama of it...To me it seems to be less about who is the better prepared for the job and more about the in-fighting of the teams. (I understand that there needs to be some drama...but ugh)

Hell's Kitchen has gone way downhill. I really enjoyed the first couple seasons, but as others have said they haven't changed the format a bit since the show started, so it's pretty repetitive. That would be forgivable if they would cast ANYONE likeable to root for, but it's pretty clear the last couple seasons that their criteria for cast members are knows how to turn on an oven and is willing to constantly cuss and act bitchy on camera.

MasterChef is really the superior Gordon Ramsay show. I get that it's kind of a poor man's Top Chef, but I really enjoy it. Ramsay is a lot more enjoyable on this show where he doesn't constantly have to turn his personality up to 11. You also occassionally get some cool cooking tips too.

J-Diggy

Nov 30, 2007
Saturday morning Giada was making a dessert that required A LOT of whisking....I couldn't look away.

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
We like DDD a lot, but I generally want to slap Guy's sunglasses off of the back of his head. I don't know why those annoy me so much.

Chopped is pretty awesome, as was previously mentioned. I always like when the person who is wicked-overconfident gets sent home first round.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Like these...favorite is Restaurant Impossible.

I liked Dinner: Impossible more. It had some more creative challenges, and was kind of off the wall.

The restaurant one is OK, but if you check for updates on those restaurants, almost all of them quickly revert back to their old ways and end up closing a few weeks/months later. I watch that one and think about bad effects of pride over and over.

I love the creativity on Chopped. That sounds like a nearly impossible challenge that they (sort of) pull off every time.

Next Food Network Star is pretty good, but you can see that the selection is made early on. For this season, Justin and Marty have been pretty far ahead of all these people the entire time, but the teams conveniently narrowed down so that each star would have a contestant making a pilot (or 2, for Alton).

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I liked Dinner: Impossible more. It had some more creative challenges, and was kind of off the wall.

The restaurant one is OK, but if you check for updates on those restaurants, almost all of them quickly revert back to their old ways and end up closing a few weeks/months later. I watch that one and think about bad effects of pride over and over.

I love the creativity on Chopped. That sounds like a nearly impossible challenge that they (sort of) pull off every time.

Next Food Network Star is pretty good, but you can see that the selection is made early on. For this season, Justin and Marty have been pretty far ahead of all these people the entire time, but the teams conveniently narrowed down so that each star would have a contestant making a pilot (or 2, for Alton).

I agree Justin has--that dude has it. Marty I think was not so great at first, but has been coming on the last couple rounds. Usually several of these poeple wind up with a show of some kind.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
I agree Justin has--that dude has it. Marty I think was not so great at first, but has been coming on the last couple rounds. Usually several of these poeple wind up with a show of some kind.

You're right. Marty struggled early, but she's really got something.

I really do think that they have a "Good Eats with a radical twist" thing in line for Justin. It seems natural, and he has this "respectful rebel" thing going that would add the right personality to it.

theantiAIRBHG

May 25, 2011
Hiawatha, IA
What if they made a cooking show with the title "DDD's", but it didn't stand for "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives"?......

:yes:

I think that could win an Emmy.