Best cult movies, continued from this morning radio...

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
Lot of good ones have been said (Lebowski a personal fave), but I would like to add....

Reservoir Dogs
Requiem for a Dream
Sling Blade

I sure do like them fried pertaters.......

Good mention. The final scene/montage is pretty f'd up.

Tarbox

Jan 3, 2008
Boulder, CO
www.kccq.com
Don't know if the comparison's fair with Things To Do in Denver

ummmmmmmmmmmm......

Ensemble Cast
Botched Heist
Jargon-y (This works very well for QT, he has a way better "voice" than Gary Fleder - the dialouge sounds forced hip, kind of like Suicide Kings but with a better cast)
Chris Walken
Disjointed timeline
If Andy Garcia's character isn't a total ripoff of Vincent Vega with a samaritan complex I'll eat a Kitty Kat Tootsie Roll.

The only good thing about TTDINWHD is Treat Williams.

When the above sentence is used to describe a film, uh-oh...

Last edited:

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
+1 on American History X. The way they use the neo-Nazi movement to put forth a non-racist message is masterful

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
ummmmmmmmmmmm......

Ensemble Cast
Botched Heist
Jargon-y (This works very well for QT, he has a way better "voice" than Gary Fleder - the dialouge sounds forced hip, kind of like Suicide Kings but with a better cast)
Chris Walken
Disjointed timeline
If Andy Garcia's character isn't a total ripoff of Vincent Vega with a samaritan complex I'll eat a Kitty Kat Tootsie Roll.

The only good thing about TTDINWHD is Treat Williams.

When the above sentence is used to describe a film, uh-oh...

Wow, I didn't realize that Tarantino invented the movie concepts of ensemble casts, disjointed timelines, botched heists, etc. Using that criteria, I guess he somehow influenced movies that were made even before Pulp Fiction.

The Andy Garcia/Vincent Vega comparison is really weak IMO. I don't see it. We could break down Pulp in the exact same way. Tarantino wears his influences on his sleeve, and Pulp certainly uses concepts lifted from other flicks, as do all movies.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008
Lot of good ones have been said (Lebowski a personal fave), but I would like to add....

Reservoir Dogs
Requiem for a Dream
Sling Blade

Butt to butt!...butt to butt!

josh777

Apr 13, 2006
Irreversible.

Sick, disgusting, worst rape scene in a film...yet...a little tender. Lots of love/hate for this film.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Almost Heroes... that is so awesome that you quoted that movie... an absolute clasic!

Did anyone else see it in the theatre? I saw Dirty Work and Almost Heroes on back-to-back weeks, maybe the finest pieces of cinema ever created by man.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Boon Dock Saints is good. I've never seen the Warriors but I'd love to, that movie sounds like one I'd enjoy.

Willow is probably my favorite cult classic.

Haha I watched Willow on VHS at 3 AM at a buddies place after the Oklahoma State game and a night at the bar. What an awesome movie.

The funniest part... the bad guy with the skull mask.... when he goes inside he pushes it up on his head, just like a catchers' mask or a pair of sunglasses. Yes I still idolize MadMartigan (the man so cool the 1st part of his name is an adjective!)

cyhiphopp

Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
Ankeny

Reservoir Dogs
Requiem for a Dream
Sling Blade

Good mention. The final scene/montage is pretty f'd up.

Extremely disturbing to say the least. I will never do hardcore drugs after that movie and I have never looked at Jennifer Connelly the same since.

Tarbox

Jan 3, 2008
Boulder, CO
www.kccq.com
Wow, I didn't realize that Tarantino invented the movie concepts of ensemble casts, disjointed timelines, botched heists, etc. Using that criteria, I guess he somehow influenced movies that were made even before Pulp Fiction.

The Andy Garcia/Vincent Vega comparison is really weak IMO. I don't see it. We could break down Pulp in the exact same way. Tarantino wears his influences on his sleeve, and Pulp certainly uses concepts lifted from other flicks, as do all movies.

I didn't say that he invented the celluloid wheel, but he did use all of the above conceits and spun them together in a new and original way with his own voice. To say that TTDINWYD isn't derivative of Pulp, Reservior, True, et al. is daft.

When you hold Denver up against the films that inspired it it doesn't work as welland it seems derivative and forced...When you hold QT's work against his boyhood movie wet dreams, it stands out while at the same honoring the movies that he drew inspiration from.

Klubber

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Aurora, IL
I didn't say that he invented the celluloid wheel, but he did use all of the above conceits and spun them together in a new and original way with his own voice. To say that TTDINWYD isn't derivative of Pulp, Reservior, True, et al. is daft.

When you hold Denver up against the films that inspired it it doesn't work as welland it seems derivative and forced...When you hold QT's work against his boyhood movie wet dreams, it stands out while at the same honoring the movies that he drew inspiration from.

It should be pointed out that the screenplay by Scott Rosenberg for TTDIDWYD was written long before Reservoir Dogs saw the light of day. So, who's being daft?

I simply listed this as a cultish type movie I think is worth seeing. Obviously you hated it. That's fine. FWIW, I don't think it's on par with Pulp, but worth a look nonetheless.

Last edited:

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Almost Heroes... that is so awesome that you quoted that movie... an absolute clasic!

Did anyone else see it in the theatre? I saw Dirty Work and Almost Heroes on back-to-back weeks, maybe the finest pieces of cinema ever created by man.

Dirty Work is hilarious.

"Look! There's another dead hooker in the trunk of this car! Why are there so many dead hookers in these cars?"

"It's the Saigon ***** who bit my nose off!"

"I can tell when you're lying"
"How?"
"The way you say things. Watch. Have you ever robbed a bank?"
"No."
"Have you ever climbed a Mt. Everest?"
"No."
"Have you ever said you can see why women find Sean Connery sexy?"
"Noooooo..."

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I always thought "cult" meant that it flopped upon initial release but gained a level of popularity via word of mouth as time passed. This would implicate both Big Lebowski and Office Space.

agreed. Big Lebowski was a pretty huge flop. It barely recouped it's budget and was initially panned by a variety of critics. It wasn't until it was released on video that most people started to recognize its brilliance.

CyLoboClone

Oct 15, 2009
Albuquerque
nope- willow is not a cult film. Lucas wrote it. It was the pioneer of morphing tech. Val freaking Kilmer is in it- as well as Warwick Davis. This has to be too famous a movie.

Cyznutz

Jan 6, 2009
Illinois
Dirty Work is hilarious.

"Look! There's another dead hooker in the trunk of this car! Why are there so many dead hookers in these cars?"

"It's the Saigon ***** who bit my nose off!"

"I can tell when you're lying"
"How?"
"The way you say things. Watch. Have you ever robbed a bank?"
"No."
"Have you ever climbed a Mt. Everest?"
"No."
"Have you ever said you can see why women find Sean Connery sexy?"
"Noooooo..."

Homeless guy 1: That was so funny I almost **** my pants!!

Homeless guy 2: Almost?!?!?

Chevy Chase was awesome in that movie as well!

Dr. Farthing: I know there's really nobody to blame for this but myself, well, I don't know, maybe the Buffalo Bills, the Boston Red Sox, or Mr. T or, or the Jets...
Mitch: Wait a minute, Mr T.? Are you telling me that you bet on the fight in Rocky III, and that you bet against Rocky?
Dr. Farthing: Hindsight is twenty-twenty, my friend.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron