Besides being 1- 4...

CY22

Sep 14, 2008
IA
Some nice stats to see just how a couple bounces of the ball our why and we could be 4-1 or 5-0!

Big 12 conference Week 8: Did you know? - ESPN

• Iowa State has yet to lose by double digits, averaging 5.5 points per game margin of defeat in its four losses.
  • ISU ranks second in the Big 12 and 13th nationally in turnover margin at 1.2.
  • The Cyclones have seen 20 different players earn their first career start this season.
  • ISU gave up more than 40 points for the first time in 24 games during its 42-35 loss to Texas Tech last week.
  • Sam Richardson has a touchdown pass in eight straight games, tying him for the third longest streak in school history.
  • Richardson’s 10 touchdown passes puts him second in the Big 12 behind Petty.

I find the bolded stats as the most helpful in lessening the blow of seeing us have a 1-4 record. We really have been playing better than our record shows. Yeah, more than likely not going to a bowl game this year, but next year should be a fun team to watch.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Be prepared to be told how you are just full of sunshine and kool-aid and moral victories are for losers. All the teams we lost to tried to give away the game, the scores weren't as close as they seemed, and we suck beyond words.

MrMayor

Oct 2, 2013
We are going to be very good next year, but we will still win some this year. We are very young and we are using talent over our heads right now. That is what young teams do.

Cyclonic1

Aug 7, 2012
Sun City, AZ
The 20 players earning their first career start stat is what gives me the most hope. Admittedly I am on a Cardinal & Gold IV drip but the next 2 years are going to be a lot of fun to watch. Inexperience was our biggest negative going into the season and that is resolved.

CY22

Sep 14, 2008
IA
Be prepared to be told how you are just full of sunshine and kool-aid and moral victories are for losers. All the teams we lost to tried to give away the game, the scores weren't as close as they seemed, and we suck beyond words.

Being a life-long cyclone fan, I find there is one of two ways to go. Can either be doom n' gloom and hunker down on how we suck because of our losses and blah blah blah OR you can actually look for the silver lining and hope for better things. The only unfortunate thing is that I find myself hoping a lot and not actually seeing the fruits of our labor, rather bittersweet grapes of wrath, Blegh!

mdclone

Nov 9, 2006
Iowa
All this does is remind me that not only are we only 1-4, but it's been a particularly heartbreaking 1-4. Thanks for the Friday pick me up. Sorry for the negativity but I'm still bitter from the Texas game.

rjkbroker

Apr 30, 2010
well, we would be 5-0 if we had an O.Coordinator and were playing our best QB who is on the sidelines signaling in plays to (#3 Grant Rohach).

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
well, we would be 5-0 if we had an O.Coordinator and were playing our best QB who is on the sidelines signaling in plays to (#3 Grant Rohach).

tumblr_lm0cu6e8DC1qdlkgg.gif

CY22

Sep 14, 2008
IA

Ok, i'll bite. Totally agree on the OC comment (wouldn't it be great if we at least had some consistency there?!), but the comment about not playing our best QB is complete BS.

Listen to what Rhoads and the rest of the staff has said and you'd know that a beat up Richardson is still better than a healthy Rohach at this point. Now how much more of a beating can Richardson take before needing to go to Rohach is a completely different question and possible scenario. But stating that #3 should be the starter is just going to the mindset that the back-up is always better than starter, and look at where that got us the past 2 years (could have been much better than 6-6 to end the regular season the past 2 years).

Nuts4Cy

Mar 21, 2006
Being a life-long cyclone fan, I find there is one of two ways to go. Can either be doom n' gloom and hunker down on how we suck because of our losses and blah blah blah OR you can actually look for the silver lining and hope for better things. The only unfortunate thing is that I find myself hoping a lot and not actually seeing the fruits of our labor, rather bittersweet grapes of wrath, Blegh!

Silver lining won't give me my $2,000 back on tickets purchased to watch this years team "build for the future"

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
All this does is remind me that not only are we only 1-4, but it's been a particularly heartbreaking 1-4. Thanks for the Friday pick me up. Sorry for the negativity but I'm still bitter from the Texas game.

I'll take "heartbreaking 1-4" over "1-4 where every game was over in the first quarter" anyday.

Reactions: kkise

ISU_Clone_28

Mar 27, 2006
Fort Dodge, IA
Some nice stats to see just how a couple bounces of the ball our why and we could be 4-1 or 5-0!

Big 12 conference Week 8: Did you know? - ESPN

I find the bolded stats as the most helpful in lessening the blow of seeing us have a 1-4 record. We really have been playing better than our record shows. Yeah, more than likely not going to a bowl game this year, but next year should be a fun team to watch.

Its hard to turn the ball over when the offense is rarely on the field. These 3 and outs and lack of sustained drives hurts. Just think how good the rest of the numbers could be if we could keep the offense off the sidelines. Glad to see improvements but wish they were here sooner.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
I'll take "heartbreaking 1-4" over "1-4 where every game was over in the first quarter" anyday.

You know, I was thinking about this while sitting in a tractor last Saturday afternoon. Would I rather have all of this "Well, if we were offensively competent we'd be undefeated" or would I rather have "I knew we were going to get killed" going through my head at that point. I don't know. This season has been hard on my fandom for most of the weeks. Obviously I'd rather be closer to winning but it was an interesting dialogue with myself. Most of my time now is spent screaming "IF YOU GUYS COULD SCORE ONE MORE ******* TOUCHDOWN" rather than "Gee golly, our guys just aren't good enough."

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009
Silver lining won't give me my $2,000 back on tickets purchased to watch this years team "build for the future"

If you didn't realize this was going to be a rebuilding year, you deserve to lose that $2000.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.

If the coaches say a beat up QB who can hardly run and plant to throw is still a better option that the RS Freshman 2nd stringer, he clearly is not better than Sam Richardson.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

Once you drink the kool aid, it is gone.