Ben Bruns KU Game Recap on Iowa Everywhere

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I suspect Brock going down may have hurt us more in the passing game than the running game. Brock has to be our best pass protection and check down back. I didn't see a lot of holes for any running backs.
I think we play soft this year. People are either afraid to make mistakes or not physically adequate.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Manning plays checkers and gets double jumped on every move. He doesn’t make the defense adjust to anything. It’s never a guessing game what’s coming next.

It's not even a guessing game deal...the defense didn't have anything to commit to for ISU to play off of.

Reactions: jdolson27

Tojo1311

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 26, 2021
Manning plays checkers and gets double jumped on every move. He doesn’t make the defense adjust to anything. It’s never a guessing game what’s coming next.
I would just like to see some wrinkles or change of pace plays included in our offense. I know we will never have a full spread style, up tempo offense with this staff. To be honest this would be my personal preference from a fan perspective, but I’m fine to if their system is working successfully.

But it’s increasingly frustrating to see the same issues plague the offense over the years while we continue to see this defensive staff lead elite units every year, even with a few clunkers here and there. I agree with others that the stats of Manning offenses get some bumps from all the play from behind series and blow outs.

Seeing pressure brought and defenses constantly stacking the line of scrimmage game after game these past few years while we seemingly take the approach of “we’re just going to pound our system and it will work” without making adjustments is just headache inducing. We could be taking that next step we all want for this program if our offense steps up to be level with the defense performance.

I would love to see some of the offensive stuff you see from Gundy at Okie State or some misdirection we saw from Baylor this year.

Reactions: jdolson27

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I suspect Brock going down may have hurt us more in the passing game than the running game. Brock has to be our best pass protection and check down back. I didn't see a lot of holes for any running backs.

Somebody mentioned in one of the game threads that pass protection from the running backs didn't drop off with Brock out of the game. Literally 2 plays later Silas absolutely whiffed on a defender.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
TE play has fallen off a cliff.. That doesn't help this horrific line either.

If the TE isn't giving you anything put another OL capable blocker in the spot and run their way. Gotta do something up front or this is the only defensive look we'll see from opponents the rest of the year. Yuck.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I learned a lot of lessons on how to deflect and dishonestly cover a football program

That is tremendously unfair. Ben Bruns is an elite football mind. How exactly is he “dishonestly” covering the football program? Was the Cover 4 analysis just not the fire and brimstone you were looking for.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
This kid

Sold his Dad and family 50 yard line seats for the OU game for less than face value only to have him stiff the program. Kid is a heck of a kicker.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
That is tremendously unfair. Ben Bruns is an elite football mind. How exactly is he “dishonestly” covering the football program? Was the Cover 4 analysis just not the fire and brimstone you were looking for.
I was looking for something more in depth on our offensive issues that have cost us games for 4 years instead of just saying "Lol the kicker" and pretending KU played good defense while dropping hypotheticals about youth and Brocks injury

We didnt lose because youth, injuries, or soley because the kicker like he claimed. He didnt touch on Dekkers play, play calling, or the offensive line other than slightly hitting on it and implying we're all wrong and dumb.

Its trash. Anyone who says we played well enough to win on offense is wrong and doesnt know what they're talking about. 11 points is trash in any game, especially against that defense

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I was looking for something more in depth on our offensive issues that have cost us games for 4 years instead of just saying "Lol the kicker" and pretending KU played good defense while dropping hypotheticals about youth and Brocks injury

We didnt lose because youth, injuries, or soley because the kicker like he claimed. He didnt touch on Dekkers play, play calling, or the offensive line other than slightly hitting on it and implying we're all wrong and dumb.

Its trash. Anyone who says we played well enough to win on offense is wrong and doesnt know what they're talking about. 11 points is trash in any game, especially against that defense

I think you are overreacting. Did you want him to suggest that we move on from Manning? I fully appreciate the offensive struggles yesterday. The loss isn’t just on special teams. But at the end of the day the players have a job to do. Catch the TD pass, stretch the ball out for a FD, pick up the blitzing LB through the A gap. And quite frankly make FG. These weren’t 52 yard kicks. You make 3 of 4 field goals and this game is a win.

Finally, Ben has always being more understanding with the O-Line in his analysis.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX

What exactly makes Ben Bruns an "elite football mind"?

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
If the TE isn't giving you anything put another OL capable blocker in the spot and run their way. Gotta do something up front or this is the only defensive look we'll see from opponents the rest of the year. Yuck.
Neither Hanika or Dean are Kolar-level receivers or Allen-level blockers, but the last thing we want to do is clog up the LOS with another guy that is absolutely no threat as a runner or receiver. They have been fine. Let's keep in mind ISU played Soehner and Allen together a lot, and it was not until Soehner's last year that they really did anything in the passing game, and even that was fairly limited. ISU isn't playing the TEs nearly as much.

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
I think you are overreacting. Did you want him to suggest that we move on from Manning? I fully appreciate the offensive struggles yesterday. The loss isn’t just on special teams. But at the end of the day the players have a job to do. Catch the TD pass, stretch the ball out for a FD, pick up the blitzing LB through the A gap. And quite frankly make FG. These weren’t 52 yard kicks. You make 3 of 4 field goals and this game is a win.

Finally, Ben has always being more understanding with the O-Line in his analysis.
He could speak frankly about what is obvious to all of us: ISU's offense last year and this year is ridiculously easy to plan for. Last year's O had a QB, TE, and RB all taken in the NFL draft and we didn't even make the CCG.

We're seeing the same chicken sh*t stuff this year. CMC wants to play everyone like we're playing Iowa, week in, week out. Or should I say weak in, easy out.

You start accepting mediocrity and no accountability and before you know it you are gonna be watching Prohmball at Trice. We almost are already.

• Dumb
Reactions: 3TrueFans

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

Even if all those things happen, we're still looking at 4 ypp against a trash heap of a defense and squeaking out a win solely because the defense held a team that had been lighting it up on offense to 213 yards and turned them over twice.

• Agree
Reactions: tre and BWRhasnoAC