Before and After Naz's Injury

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Naz is the one guy I constantly saw talking on defense and in the huddles. Even though he wasn't shooting very well to start the season, I think his injury is killer to this team in terms of defense and leadership.

8 games with Naz in lineup---68.5 ppg allowed
8 games with Naz out of lineup---81.5 ppg allowed.

I realize the competition the last 8 games has been more difficult with conference play starting but not by much. Coppin State, Arkansas PB, Cincinnati, and UNI are not great offensive teams and they all surpassed their season average against ISU.

In fact, the combined record for the teams we played the first 8 games is 80-52. The record for the teams we played in our last 8 games is 73-54.

First 8:
Colorado: 12-4, averaging 78 ppg, held them to 62
Chicago State: 4-14, averaging 70 ppg, held them to 64
Chattanooga (my Cinderella team this year): 14-3, averaging 76 ppg, held them to 63
Virginia Tech: 10-6, averaging 76 ppg, gave up 77
Illinois: 9-8, averaging 75 ppg, held them to 73
North Dakota State: 11-6, averaging 73 ppg, held them to 64
Buffalo: 8-8, averaging 76 ppg, held them to 63
Iowa: 12-3, averaging 81 ppg, gave up 82

Last 8:
Arkansas Pine Bluff: 3-14, averaging 55 ppg, gave up 64
Northern Iowa: 10-7, averaging 73 ppg, gave up 81
Cincinnati: 12-5, averaging 75 ppg, gave up 79
Coppin State: 2-14, averaging 71 ppg, gave up 84

Oklahoma: 13-1, averaging 88 ppg, held them to 87
Texas Tech: 11-4, averaging 75 ppg, held them to 69
Baylor: 12-3, averaging 82 ppg, gave up 94
Texas: 10-6, averaging 75 ppg, gave up 94

Last edited:

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
I was one that wasn't worried about losing Naz before, but I've come to the realization that his absence isn't just his offensive production. That said, there is still talent on the team, but they're not playing hard.

Some of it has to do with confidence. I've always said winning breeds confidence, and it goes the other way too. Now these guys are really questioning themselves, and that's not good. There is zero swagger with this team right now.

The result of that is lack of hustle and not playing hard every possession. It shows on the court, losing 50/50 balls, losing concentration on defense, and taking quick/ill advised shots on defense.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Our kenpom AdjD (defensive efficiency) has now dropped to #124, 50 spots worse than last year.

We were in the 30's, I believe, when Naz got hurt. It really has killed our defense. I would speculate that it's not because Naz is a better defender that others, but 1) everyone is playing more minutes and tired or trying to conserve energy early and 2) he was by far the biggest on-court emotional leader, and I think that has had a big effect on our play-to-play intensity.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
I was one that wasn't worried about losing Naz before, but I've come to the realization that his absence isn't just his offensive production. That said, there is still talent on the team, but they're not playing hard.

Some of it has to do with confidence. I've always said winning breeds confidence, and it goes the other way too. Now these guys are really questioning themselves, and that's not good. There is zero swagger with this team right now.

The result of that is lack of hustle and not playing hard every possession. It shows on the court, losing 50/50 balls, losing concentration on defense, and taking quick/ill advised shots on defense.

I'm with this as well, I thought Naz being out wouldn't be that big of a deal because we had Burton coming in who could play multiple positions and then we'd get Naz next year which would be really beneficial for that team. I clearly underestimated his value to this current team. Thankfully Matt has really improved his game or we'd even be in worse shape

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

I would like Nader to take future tips.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
I know I will get flamed for this but oh well. I wish Naz would just suck it up and come back, screw next year, this is the year that matters.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
I know I will get flamed for this but oh well. I wish Naz would just suck it up and come back, screw next year, this is the year that matters.

which just proves how much pain he's in and how he can't play.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa

So wait a minute....this years team is more important than what's best for Naz's future? Come on!! Just be happy he wants a medical RS and wants to help next years team

HornacekFan1414

Nov 9, 2014
Frisco, TX
which just proves how much pain he's in and how he can't play.
I spoke to Naz for a few minutes before the game yesterday ( we have met him several times and he always remembers my 5 year old son and makes him feel so special)...it was clear talking to him how painful it is for him to not be able to contribute and help this team.....he will be back with something extra to show next year, no doubt...

NIClone

Feb 25, 2012

Why? So he can continue to look like a shell of the player we saw 2 years ago and the first half of last year. You can almost pinpoint last year when he got injured. Look at his game log last year and he went from averaging close to double figures to getting around 6-7 a game and struggling to make 3's. This year looked similar in the first 4 games he played and then the second 4 games he played. I told people before the announcement the way he was playing that it seemed like he was hurting again. To question his toughness after he gutted it out last season isn't fair. Hopefully he can get fully healed and come back next year and give it his all.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
ISU has had some tough injuries to deal with. Babb in the tournament, Niang in the tournament now Naz when they don't have depth.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
It does seem he was a lot more important that many thought. Looking forward to him being healthy and back next year.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...-some-defensive-issues-after-falling-to-texas

Dropped fifty spots on defense this year and we have lots of games to go. McKay mentioned.
The defensive questions about Iowa State aren't really new. The team finished 71st last season in adjusted defensive efficiency according to KenPom, after all. But it seems to have become exacerbated this season. After this one, the Clones are down to 124th nationally in defensive efficiency. They've given up 1.14 points-per-possession since they picked up their first of four losses seven games ago. Is this something that can be fixed, or is it a roster flaw that will persist?
It's probably a combination of both. It's possible that as the team gets more comfortable playing together and in Prohm's scheme, there will be improvement. Plus, Prohm is a pretty good coach, and he could make some adjustments to the way they handle pick-and-rolls to try and mitigate the issues. Maybe make sure that as McKay is pulled away, they do a better job of rotating in help and having a bigger player underneath the basket to at least slow down attacking guards. Somehow find a way to get an extra split second for McKay to recover to where he defends best, around the rim. It's possible these schematic adjustments could come internally.
However, the roster doesn't seem well-equipped to figure things out. Largely, the issues revolve around depth and the ability to slow teams down before getting to the paint. Not only does Iowa State have fewer bodies inside without Dustin Hogue and even Daniel Edozie, but they're also a bit smaller on the wings. Remember, Niang played a good amount of the 3 last season, and Bryce Dejean-Jones was around along with Naz Long to go with Matt Thomas and Abdel Nader. This year, Nader, Thomas, Hallice Cooke andDeonte Burton are a smaller group, and they struggle to contain penetration as well as the team did last year just due to size.

Last edited:

Help Support Us

Become a patron